Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amusing thought about how much NAV sucks....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If one thinks the traditional husband and wife arguing over directions is bad; wait till a self driving Tesla gets into a fight with it's own Nav.

And, I thought I had a lot of inner conflict.

I've seen my dash NAV and touchscreen NAV disagree... still not sure how that's possible... I wish Tesla devoted 10% as much effort on the NAV as they do autopilot.

I've seen my dash NAV and touchscreen NAV disagree... still not sure how that's possible... I wish Tesla devoted 10% as much effort on the NAV as they do autopilot.

The Center Console screen is the Internet map from Google.

The dash nav is the offline maps from a Garmin owned company that always seems to be a year out of date.

The funny thing is they have a third map consisting of tiles for the AP.

I have no idea how they'll fix all of this in time for autonomous driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
I have no idea how they'll fix all of this in time for autonomous driving.
My assumption is they'll use the high precision maps that are purportedly being created by AP sensors while driving. I don't know what's going on in the back end, but I know they're collecting all of that data and I think it's reasonable to assume that they'll slowly integrate that service. It'd be silly for them to take over a display mechanism like the Google function, but for autonomous driving, their own data seems to be more rich than what's currently available.

I literally just saw this... apparently 6 months... it's gonna happen.

That article really misrepresents what Musk said in the tweet. There's a note at the bottom of the article, copied below, but even with that note I think the average person reading the article would come away with a very different idea about the future than what Musk was actually saying.

This is the headline:
Musk Wants To Begin Shifting Teslas To 'Full' Self-Driving Capability Within 6 Months

And then this:
Auto industry engineers, scientists and regulators are racing to work out all the details of how autonomous cars will function so that they can be ready to come to market by the early 2020s. Elon Musk, Tesla’s brash CEO, says his electric vehicles will start to gain that capability within just six months.

Followed by the note at the bottom of the article:
(The story has been updated to clarify that Tesla vehicles will begin gaining enhanced automated features leading to full self-driving capability within six months.)

I just finished a 2,000mi trip last week and the Nav system is horrendous.

- bad routes. I learned I had to stop the car and verify each route before driving.

- no ability to use waypoints to route the way I wanted to go (e.g., avoid certain LA freeways). I figured out a work around, but why should I have to?

- poor energy forecasting. I'd leave the SC and within 5 miles my charge buffer at the next destination would drop by 5%. No this was not due to headwinds or speed.

- voice guidance was almost always too late. The voice instructions would inevitably say "in .2mi, turn...", when the instrument panel map was showing 500' to the turn!

- No nav map when no cell coverage as happened frequently in Southern California and Arizona. The instrument panel nav map was still there, but they provide no context. Why can I download maps to my $500 phone, but not my $100K car?

The constantly annoying need to press, wait for the screen to reformat and reveal the icon bar, then select the desired icon. The v8 UI change was a very poor tradeoff for another 1/2" strip of map.

Overall the CID apps are the worst implemented feature of the car. The car drives beautifully, but the promise of the huge display connected to the internet, connected to my phone and 500GB of music on an SSD is simply not realized. These apps feel like they came out of a hack-a-thon, not a professional design/development effort.