Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An area to consider applying paint protection film (PPF)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This finding may interest people like me who've done a partial wrap especially.

I read a post about a week ago regarding an X owner sustaining lots of micro chips on the flared areas of his FWDs (the bottom right portion of the door adjacent to the quarter panel's "dog leg"). I naturally thought, gee, that sucks. But it got me thinking and paying attention to the same area on Model S.

As it turns out, the problem is homogenous with the S. I spotted and parked next to a metallic blue S that was very clean but had dozens of tiny white flecks in the area of question which, upon closer examination, turned out to be micro chips in the paint. I didn't take pics, (I know, lame.. but I already felt awkward about randomly examining a guy's car up close without busting the phone camera out) but needless to say, I'll be requesting a bit of PPF applied to this area.

As you'd imagine, this is a trouble area for debris contact that other manufacturers are aware of. My friend's Grand Cherokee SRT-8 has factory-applied PPF in this area, and I'm sure others do too.

So, something to consider mainly for the partial wrappers like myself. Non-issue for the full wrappers, and probably ditto for the no wrappers.

And uh, YMMV, or something...

Hmm, I just got a partial wrap, but not sure which part of the car you are referring to. I did have it added to the entire rocker panel, and then about 5 inches up on the rear fender/wheel well up from the rocker panel. Full hood and front fenders are wrapped.

Did I get it, or could you better explain what part of the car you are talking about?

IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1232.jpg
Hmm, I just got a partial wrap, but not sure which part of the car you are referring to. I did have it added to the entire rocker panel, and then about 5 inches up on the rear fender/wheel well up from the rocker panel. Full hood and front fenders are wrapped.

Did I get it, or could you better explain what part of the car you are talking about?