Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Analysis: Tesla Pickup Truck Battery Size, Range, & 0-60-MPH Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Our model suggests that the upcoming Tesla Pickup Truck will have a 200 kWh battery, 380-mile range, and a 3.9 second 0-60-mph time. We don’t know much about the specifics of the Tesla Pickup Truck but what we do know was summarized in an Electrek article: Tesla pickup truck-Everything we know so far. Here’s a...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/11/14/tesla-pickup-truck-specs-modeled/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

What about the price tag? Perhaps around $80k? Tesla has to find a way to make the price of it lower so it can compete with gas trucks in the truck category. Maybe Tesla might go with the T-150 Model so make Ford mad with their F-150. Haha, who knows? Great post and I hope more info comes soon. E

Everyone mark March 19th (I think ) in their calendar for the Model Y unveiling, and perhaps a glimpse of the Tesla pick up.

I think they'll go for something more aerodynamic so they can use less battery. If they can keep the Cd at .26, the reference area at 35 square feet, and the curb weight at 7,000 pounds, they should be able to get about 220+ miles of range at 75mph when not towing, and probably about the same towing at 55mph. The EPA rated range should be 300+ miles.

Reactions: George II
This would put the truck over the vehicle weight required to fully depreciate in the first year. That is a huge benefit (or loophole) for business use. Combine that with some sort of federal and local EV credits and you have a compelling ROI.

Cmon now don't tell me under 400 range, I want one badly but that could be a dealbreaker. I have 700+ miles of range
and often go on 500mi each way trips. The trip takes just over 7 hours now. If I go to the Tesla route planner and use
the longest model available (335mi) It spits out 10hr 19min

Give us durability, capability, reliability and 500mi of range for a decent price and you will have millions of reservations.

Cmon now don't tell me under 400 range, I want one badly but that could be a dealbreaker. I have 700+ miles of range
and often go on 500mi each way trips. The trip takes just over 7 hours now. If I go to the Tesla route planner and use
the longest model available (335mi) It spits out 10hr 19min

Give us durability, capability, reliability and 500mi of range for a decent price and you will have millions of reservations.
It's going to be hard to match the non-towing range of a full sized pickup with a huge tank (or dual tanks). Just focus on how much that 400 mile range will save you at each fill up. :)

What about the price tag? Perhaps around $80k? Tesla has to find a way to make the price of it lower so it can compete with gas trucks in the truck category. Maybe Tesla might go with the T-150 Model so make Ford mad with their F-150. Haha, who knows? Great post and I hope more info comes soon. E

Everyone mark March 19th (I think ) in their calendar for the Model Y unveiling, and perhaps a glimpse of the Tesla pick up.

The average sales price for a F-150 is over $50K. High end sales are huge. Ford makes 20-30K Ford F-150 Raptors per year. 90% of these retail for well over $70K. With fuel savings $80K is not far off the mark.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The average sales price for a F-150 is over $50K. High end sales are huge. Ford makes 20-30K Ford F-150 Raptors per year. 90% of these retail for well over $70K. With fuel savings $80K is not far off the mark.
I think people forget just how pimped out many trucks are. Pick ups are a lifestyle item for many people, not just something utilitarian.

I think people forget just how pimped out many trucks are. Pick ups are a lifestyle item for many people, not just something utilitarian.
It really has been an arms race, and you can fit a lot of 'stuff' in these vehicles. They've basically made the supercrew into the large family SUV. People think my pickup looks nice but then they see the inside and it is always a shock. Hey, just press the button on the side of the seat and it turns on the massage. Oh you want it heated too? No problem. Hows everyone in the back? Are your seats cold?

Here is the competition, you can have this for $60,000
2016-ford-f-150-limited-interior-view.jpg

It'll go through a foot of snow, haul a pile of dirt, massage your back, do a lot of things by voice control, tow a boat, and go 800 miles on the highway on a full tank of gas.

Your competition is also this, which can be had for under $30,000. No luxuries, but it just works.
543c234c689420d479d96809368f679dx.jpg

Reactions: Nocturnal
It really has been an arms race, and you can fit a lot of 'stuff' in these vehicles. They've basically made the supercrew into the large family SUV. People think my pickup looks nice but then they see the inside and it is always a shock. Hey, just press the button on the side of the seat and it turns on the massage. Oh you want it heated too? No problem. Hows everyone in the back? Are your seats cold?

It'll go through a foot of snow, haul a pile of dirt, massage your back, do a lot of things by voice control, tow a boat, and go 800 miles on the highway on a full tank of gas.

Your competition is also this, which can be had for under $30,000. No luxuries, but it just works.
Right. The higher end trims are actually really nice. It's going to be difficult to design a vehicle that can fit both categories. I assume Tesla will target the top of the line due to profitability and probably due to customer desire. I'd have to guess that "fancy" PU drivers are more likely to switch to electric.

The 6k gross vehicle weight 100% deprecation rule definitely impacts the high end pick up market as well.

Right. The higher end trims are actually really nice. It's going to be difficult to design a vehicle that can fit both categories. I assume Tesla will target the top of the line due to profitability and probably due to customer desire. I'd have to guess that "fancy" PU drivers are more likely to switch to electric.

The 6k gross vehicle weight 100% deprecation rule definitely impacts the high end pick up market as well.
If the first ones really do cost 100k, then you're going to get the mall crawler crowd who might be driving an escalade otherwise.
If Musk means business, then he needs to drop a good truck for a similar price right into the mix of Ram/Silverado/F150.
F150 drivers aren't buying for 0-60 time or 'self driving' capabilities and they won't tolerate waiting months for parts. People
make their living with these vehicles so you can't f- around. Landscapers, carpenters, plumbers, etc etc they are not going to
wait 4 weeks for an appointment and 8 weeks for parts... and that loaner vehicle had better be a truck.

If the first ones really do cost 100k, then you're going to get the mall crawler crowd who might be driving an escalade otherwise.
If Musk means business, then he needs to drop a good truck for a similar price right into the mix of Ram/Silverado/F150.
F150 drivers aren't buying for 0-60 time or 'self driving' capabilities and they won't tolerate waiting months for parts. People
make their living with these vehicles so you can't f- around. Landscapers, carpenters, plumbers, etc etc they are not going to
wait 4 weeks for an appointment and 8 weeks for parts... and that loaner vehicle had better be a truck.
The option to run power tools directly from the vehicle could be huge on the job site. Heck, keep 10 F-150s around for hauling and add a Tesla into the mix so you don't need to bring generators etc.

Definitely the work crowd would desire a cheaper price without FSD etc. EAP would be great for long hauls but I don't see how it could handle towing.

2016-ford-f-150-limited-interior-view.jpg

543c234c689420d479d96809368f679dx.jpg
I think someone will need a little more money than that unless they just want to store their truck in their garage. ;)

Watched a documentary about shale/fracking in North Dakota and it seemed everyone had F-150/Ram sized super trucks.

BUT in my town I see super trucks that don't get left outside in the rain, let alone go off road. With nearly 2 million sold each year you have all kinds of customers. And some claim big luxury sedan sales down as owners "trade up" to luxury pickups.
[ I only think I know, what I think I read ]

Watched a documentary about shale/fracking in North Dakota and it seemed everyone had F-150/Ram sized super trucks.

BUT in my town I see super trucks that don't get left outside in the rain, let alone go off road. With nearly 2 million sold each year you have all kinds of customers. And some claim big luxury sedan sales down as owners "trade up" to luxury pickups.
[ I only think I know, what I think I read ]
doubt that. it is all about the suvs. pickup sales have always been great. f150 has been tops in the usa since the 70s.
only big change i can see is the 'arms race' over the last decade to shove everything they can into a pickup and chaarge a premium

doubt that. it is all about the suvs. pickup sales have always been great. f150 has been tops in the usa since the 70s.
only big change i can see is the 'arms race' over the last decade to shove everything they can into a pickup and chaarge a premium
I had no idea how many pickup sold in US - check it out
U.S. light truck sales 1980-2017 | Statistic
2 million 1980 to 11 million in 2017 - check above for details over time.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J

$80K? My guess would be twice that much. You are not going to build a vehicle with that kind of range for $80K. Remember that range and battery size are not linear. The weight of the battery becomes so great that it takes more battery to push it -- which is more weight...

I had no idea how many pickup sold in US - check it out
U.S. light truck sales 1980-2017 | Statistic
2 million 1980 to 11 million in 2017 - check above for details over time.
Best selling vehicle USA 2017
1. F Series 900k
2. Silverado/Sierra 800k
3. Ram 500k
4. Toyota Rav 4 400k (The sedans used to be 4,5,6 on the list after the trucks. Here is where all the sedan sales are going)
5. Nissan Rogue 400k
6. Toyota Camry 390K
7. Honda CRV 380K

If you go back to 2010 (randomly chosen)
1. F150
2. Silverado/sierra
3. Camry
4. accord
5. Corolla
6. Civic
7. Altima
8. Fusion
9. CRV(first SUV on list)
10.Ram
11. malibu
12. Sonata
13. Escape (2nd suv on list)

in 2010 only 2 of the top 15 vehicle sales were SUVs (9,13)
in 2017 7 of the top 15 sales were SUVs (4,5,7,11,12,13,15)

interesting swing by americans. SUVs are getting more efficient, more competition, better price levels. I don't think people are going to switch back to a smaller vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando