Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen EV charger support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempting to pull a fast one with the administrators... It might be a £1 / month initially but then the rates will go up once they have rights to the app and customer base.

Such a nominal charge to a small customer base just wouldn't be worth the hassle, especially once they paid processing fees etc.
It could easily have a user base of 100's of thousands (Remember this is not just the UK), even at 75000 people taking it up, it would easily support a cloud service and a couple of developers.... the problems occur if < 50,000 people take up the cloud option as they are happy with a dumb charger.

Attempting to pull a fast one with the administrators... It might be a £1 / month initially but then the rates will go up once they have rights to the app and customer base.

Such a nominal charge to a small customer base just wouldn't be worth the hassle, especially once they paid processing fees etc.
If the administrators have any sense then they will charge a fair amount for the customer base, whether the new owner can make the money back on it is another matter. With such a nominal amount they would be expecting some take up when they do charge after the 2 years but as my first Anderson charger didn't even last that long I am not over confident in that plan.

Last edited:
I'm in the unfortunate situation of now having to decide whether it's worth it to uninstall my A2 and move it to our new house in 3 weeks. I've had a rough quote of £600 inc. for this work (no survey done), and the worry is what do I do if and when the charger ever needs a spare part?

I could leave the charger behind for the new owners for free and save the £600, and then buy a new one for the new house but this is a lot of money effectively down the drain.

Last edited:
There are install instructions on the Andersen website (and elsewhere in this thread) so pretty much any sparks could do it. £600 sounds very expensive for installation in my opinion.

It will function as a dumb charger regardless of what happens to Andersen. Spare parts are an issue going forwards (but perhaps might be solved depending on the outcome) but I wouldn't be especially worried about it relative to any other charger going wrong.

I agree, it is very expensive considering Andersen themselves quoted me £172.80 inc VAT to uninstall it, however without a survey they couldn't quote for the reinstallation.

I don't know if this guy has factored some fat into the quote since I can't give him any details about where the consumer supply unit is in the new house. I'm a bit stuck since I have less than 3 weeks to find an electrician who can do it.

Did you open the conversation with the £600 electrician telling them that you needed it done within 3 weeks?

It could be that they've sensed you're under pressure and like insurance that gets more expensive the closer you are to the inception date they are giving you the "surge" pricing?

I would have said that you'd be in this position - with 3 weeks to go - regardless of what charger was going in, so that aspect of it is somewhat irrelevant. If it were me I'd get a local electrician out ASAP to size up where the consumer unit is, where you want the charger, etc and get a quote based on that.

Did you open the conversation with the £600 electrician telling them that you needed it done within 3 weeks?

It could be that they've sensed you're under pressure and like insurance that gets more expensive the closer you are to the inception date they are giving you the "surge" pricing?

I would have said that you'd be in this position - with 3 weeks to go - regardless of what charger was going in, so that aspect of it is somewhat irrelevant. If it were me I'd get a local electrician out ASAP to size up where the consumer unit is, where you want the charger, etc and get a quote based on that.

I gave him the date I needed it done by, so I'm under no illusion that he sensed the pressure. Unfortunately with house purchases some things have to be left to the last minute because you just don't know when you're going to complete until the very end.

There's no chance of me getting an electrician to go survey the new house before we've moved in since the current owner has already moved.

Ugh, sounds like he’s got you a bit over a barrel….
If a few weeks charging with a granny charger is not an option then just pay up and file it under “the costs of moving home”, I guess.

Indeed :( I don't mind granny charging in the meantime. Getting it uninstalled before we move out is the urgent requirement.

Will phone a few electricians on CheckATrade and see what they say.

Indeed :( I don't mind granny charging in the meantime. Getting it uninstalled before we move out is the urgent requirement.

Will phone a few electricians on CheckATrade and see what they say.

Any electrician could uninstall quickly. If it's like any other charge point it's really just disconnecting the supply cables and leaving them in a safe condition. An hours work should cover it.

Reactions: Durzel and MrT3
Looking at the install manual you could probably remove it yourself once you've isolated the power. It's pretty much self-explanatory. If it were me I'd just take it off myself, retaining all of the bits, and then get a quote for reinstalling it somewhere else.

Making good the exposed supply cable would be the only thing that would give me pause for thought.

Reactions: Adopado
I'm in the unfortunate situation of now having to decide whether it's worth it to uninstall my A2 and move it to our new house in 3 weeks. I've had a rough quote of £600 inc. for this work (no survey done), and the worry is what do I do if and when the charger ever needs a spare part?

I could leave the charger behind for the new owners for free and save the £600, and then buy a new one for the new house but this is a lot of money effectively down the drain.
No brainer for me, I would NOT even think about spending £600 after my Anderson completely stopped working after 18 months and looked like the whole thing had burnt out, basically they just replace the whole unit. Out of warranty I would expect that they wouldn't have wasted time diagnosing issues and expect the owner to do a full replacement of the unit, of course we will never know now.

I would be looking at getting a brand new one with a 3 year warranty, I don't know current prices but I expect you can get something for £600 and save yourself, if it was more like £300 in total then I would consider moving it though.

Well, I called an electrician on CheckATrade with a zillion excellent reviews and he's uninstalling it for £80 ex. VAT.

I won't know how much it will cost to reinstall until we've moved, but based on his quote to remove it, I feel like I'm not going to get screwed. If it dies in 18 months then I'll put it down to experience, but hopefully it'll continue to work for years to come.

Apologies for taking this slightly off-topic, but maybe it'll be relevant to someone else in the same position.

I bought mine 4months ago on my Amex credit card. If this becomes defunct does anyone know if we could I be entitled to claim this back? They weren’t cheap units so that money could be handy right now.
If your purchased it thorugh amex you can claim it bavk through section 75 i think.... speak to amex and tell them that the company has gone bust and charger is not working i want my money back maybe?

So I never used the Andersen app other than to lock the A2 when away on holiday, I always set charging schedule on my Model Y screen, that still works fine. I switched the A2 off at the consumer unit when away this weekend to avoid anyone stealing my electricity :)

Interesting to know what I could do in the event of a hardware failure though. If I had to replace the A2 is it as straightforward as having an electrician remove the A2 unit and replace it with an alternative using the same wiring? My naive head with zero knowledge of such matters tells me it should be that simple.