Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Service questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drewski

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2019
SF Bay Area
Is there documentation of what is covered in the Annual Service?

From an old service record provided by the prior owner, the 2015 Annual was $600 and covered
  • Checked torque of all suspension components
  • Replaced AC System desiccant
  • Flushed Brake Fluid
  • Flushed Coolant
  • Lubrication of all latches
  • Removed PEM and cleaned
  • Replaced wiper inserts
  • Replaced key batteries
  • Performed final test drive. Vehicle operation normal
Has this changed over the years?

The Service Advisor has been vague on what was done "covers a lot" "it's hefty" but says it doesn't cover AC, Brake Fluid & Coolant flushes which they wanted $250 for each. I've done brakes & coolant on prior cars so politely declined.

Also the test drive was 7 miles, which seemed a lot . . . is that typical?

Not from experience, but the test drive might be getting power system up to temp, so depending on conditions, might involve some distance/speed to verify status.

I'm also interested in what is currently being done since I'l be getting my first one come spring, prior to the heat of summer, to make sure cooling system is operating at peak form.

Reactions: drewski
In the past the AC evacuation and recharge were part of the annual servicing but not sure it was really needed. They never changed brake fluid or coolant. But the PEM cleaning is important and needs to be done at some frequency. With my 1.5 and few gravel roads I can easily go 2 years. But each car and environment is different.

Is there documentation of what is covered in the Annual Service?

From an old service record provided by the prior owner, the 2015 Annual was $600 and covered
  • Checked torque of all suspension components
  • Replaced AC System desiccant
  • Flushed Brake Fluid
  • Flushed Coolant
  • Lubrication of all latches
  • Removed PEM and cleaned
  • Replaced wiper inserts
  • Replaced key batteries
  • Performed final test drive. Vehicle operation normal
Has this changed over the years?

The Service Advisor has been vague on what was done "covers a lot" "it's hefty" but says it doesn't cover AC, Brake Fluid & Coolant flushes which they wanted $250 for each. I've done brakes & coolant on prior cars so politely declined.

Also the test drive was 7 miles, which seemed a lot . . . is that typical?

My most recent service check list is attached. Sadly, most service techs do not know these cars. So, they work off this list with another tech that has some experiences- that has been my case.

Attachments

• E33BF3FF-1D18-4800-B26F-86B6C0E2B21F.jpeg
    E33BF3FF-1D18-4800-B26F-86B6C0E2B21F.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 43D9F370-D8A5-4112-B461-22C9D1EC5F0C.jpeg
    43D9F370-D8A5-4112-B461-22C9D1EC5F0C.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 1717F904-5B57-494A-8796-30B9BB95C89E.jpeg
    1717F904-5B57-494A-8796-30B9BB95C89E.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 70
from eHorses list, it looks like Brake Fluid & Coolant are recommended every 2/4yrs, but aren't included in the base service price.

the prior owner got a good deal on their 4yr service where they weren't charged extra for those over the $600

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 7.55.10 AM.png

Last edited:
The past two times I’ve had one recently (November 2018 and April 2019, two different Roadsters), it’s the following -

- thorough PEM cleaning
- they place a CR2032 battery in your car for your key (if needed)
- they replace your wiper blade, but it was $45.00 extra for me last time. Make sure to tell them you don’t need one beforehand (unless you do). Otherwise, you’ll be charged for it.
- battery bleed test to check voltage anomalies
- perform final test drive

The rest of the list are separate paid services.

• Informative
The past two times I’ve had one recently (November 2018 and April 2019, two different Roadsters), it’s the following -

- thorough PEM cleaning
- they replace your wiper blade, but it was $45.00 extra for me last time. Make sure to tell them you don’t need one beforehand (unless you do). Otherwise, you’ll be charged for it.

The rest of the list

Wiper Blade is oddly inconsistent.

from eHorses printout, it looks like it should be free.

from my car's old service records it looks like it has been listed as changed each service (listed in parts used along with batteries) and sometimes was charged for it (also for remote batteries), but all the other times not . . . ?
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.53.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.56.33 AM.png

Last edited:

- thorough PEM cleaning

The rest of the list are separate paid services.

I’m in Oklahoma and we don’t have a service center. Which one are you using in the Dallas area.

I had one of the Tesla Rangers at my house here Tucson last week to fix a vibration in the driver side of the dash of my M3 and asked what the cost of an inspection would be for mine and he said $600.00 and they needed it for 2 days.

WOW, really appreciate your attaching this Maintenance Checklist, I'll see if the Tucson Tesla Rangers use this, if they don't I will give it to them.

No worries, just trying to add value to this great group. Make sure they're not going to cause an issue with the your car’s GPS as noted here with your annual service. My car showed that error after the service...

Caution - Annual Service - Car power-down - GPS issue