Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Vehicle Inspection in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've have my Model 3 for almost a year, so it's time for my first annual Texas vehicle inspection. From what I've always understood, the main purpose of these inspections is to make sure the vehicle meets emissions standards, which is obviously not an issue with a Tesla. So for a Tesla, is there anything different I need to do for my inspection (different place I need to go, etc.)?

Thanks.

[QUOTE="Brenkj, post: 4204106, member: 85359"...From what I've always understood, the main purpose of these inspections is to make sure the vehicle meets emissions standards...[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree in principle - the main purpose is the safety, and the emissions is for a smaller set of vehicles (since diesel engines, like EVs, don't have to have an emissions check either). Which makes more money for the state, I'm not sure.

The only issue you may have is if the staff at the location you choose have never done an EV before - its only happened once, but I have been approached by the staff asking how many speeds the transmission has.

Agree with Fox, they only do emissions tests in the big cities. They're generally checking the horn, lights, wipers, mirrors, etc. Don't know how on earth the Cybertruck will pass o_O

To be clear, side view mirrors are not required to pass an inspection for a pickup under 80" width for TX - you must have at least one mirror such that "Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle."

Now if you are questioning whether a display of rear view camera(s) mounted in the spot and functioning as a mirror would qualify as a mirror per the Inspection Criteria, then I concur with your shrug.

To be clear, side view mirrors are not required to pass an inspection for a pickup under 80" width for TX - you must have at least one mirror such that "Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle."

Now if you are questioning whether a display of rear view camera(s) mounted in the spot and functioning as a mirror would qualify as a mirror per the Inspection Criteria, then I concur with your shrug.
Federal law will allow the rear camera so long as there's a back up. Cadillac uses this in one of their new SUVs. You just flip the little tab you normally have on a manual rear view mirror and it switches from camera to mirror.

I've have my Model 3 for almost a year, so it's time for my first annual Texas vehicle inspection. From what I've always understood, the main purpose of these inspections is to make sure the vehicle meets emissions standards, which is obviously not an issue with a Tesla. So for a Tesla, is there anything different I need to do for my inspection (different place I need to go, etc.)?

Thanks.
Did you purchase your vehicle used? You should be good until next year, no?

I just failed my inspection since they said my tires are at less than 2/32" of tread depth. They don't seem anywhere near bald to me, so I may try elsewhere to see if it passes. Otherwise I may do my Cali road trip and replace them after that early next year. Otherwise I am just at 17k miles in my RWD 3 with stock MXM4 tires after 13 months. I guess my 285 wh/m average is still kinda high for my LR RWD 3. Will keep that in mind on my next set.

I just failed my inspection since they said my tires are at less than 2/32" of tread depth. They don't seem anywhere near bald to me, so I may try elsewhere to see if it passes. Otherwise I may do my Cali road trip and replace them after that early next year. Otherwise I am just at 17k miles in my RWD 3 with stock MXM4 tires after 13 months. I guess my 285 wh/m average is still kinda high for my LR RWD 3. Will keep that in mind on my next set.

Did they mark every tire, or a single tire? You only need to replace what was written up, so if they only called out a single tire, you might be able to quickly make a swap to get a pass.

I will go by discount next week. I may only need to replace my back two for now since the others were 4/32". I think can pull off my road trip with those and replace them once I get back and then will balance out rotations the best I can for even wear. If my road trip wasn't 3500 miles I would keep going on these until I felt them slipping considerably.

Now I just need to figure what tires I will get. I doubt I will get the original ones, and will opt for something $100 less a tire.

For anyone interested or needing new tires, this thread has tons of good info.
No decision on mine just yet.

VERSION 2: Comparison of best Model 3 compatible tires (18", 19", 20") : teslamotors

Also, here is the Michelin OEM tire warranty. It sounds like discount can possibly prorate MXM4's on this. I have yet to check for sure.

https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema.../michelin-oe-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

This thread details the process of getting the OEM tires prorated. The person had his wear out at 9500 miles and got a 90% refund.

Best tires? : TeslaModel3

Last edited: