Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "Adventure" in a 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Btrflyl8e

MSLR, W/W 21s FSD 1145 DEL 11/26 VIN MF454
Supporting Member
Mar 24, 2013
Seminole, FL
So, I'm taking a semi-spontaneous 2 day trip up the gulf coast from my home in Seminole to Cedar Key today. I'm doing a max charge as we speak, and the only viable charging options near my destination are RV parks. They have a few spots where we chose to stay, but they are charging me $50 for a day. Maybe they'll reduce it when we get there and explain we only need it for a few hours, but if that means they have to turn someone in an RV away, I can understand charging the full peak season rate. It's still less than the tank of gas it would take in our ICE truck.

It's not quite as adventurous distance-wise as my trip to Miami a few months ago, but Miami was definitely not the public charging wasteland I'm heading into today. Cedar Key is about 140 miles from home, so I have no range anxiety about getting there, just about getting back. And I barely have any about that, really.

Luckily temps are rising again after our last cold snap put us into the 50's at night...

I just got my lifetime average wh/mi down one more to 312, so hopefully I can maintain or contribute to reducing it even further with this trip. I'll post updates today through Friday for anyone who cares to read along!

I've found that when the RV park knows that you only need the outlet for a few hours they are willing to just charge you a "dump fee" for $5. This is a small charge that they already have a SKU for in the register and can make a few bucks over and above what the actual electricity is costing them.

Also, I'm sure you know, but you can try to search for more chargers on CharePoint, PlugShare and ReCargo (even though owned by PlugShare now I still see differences in their results http://www.recargo.com/search).

Best of luck!

Thanks, but yeah...Cedar Key is really in the middle of nowhere so no hope of any chargers here. And being Florida in the peak season, they still stuck to $50 fee. It's ok, it's a small cute motel with only 4 waterfront RV spots so...I can't really blame them. Made it here with 45 miles rated range left. She's plugged in to a 50 amp now, happily charging away! Cedar Key is a very small area so we could just walk anywhere we want to go, or the motel offered to loan is bicycles...so we should be good until we leave Friday.

Last edited:
We're back home! The trip was a piece of cake, and a lot nicer in the MS than it would have been in our older Silverado. The Tesla arrived home the dirtiest she's ever been, and with Cars & Coffee at Dupont Registry at 6:30am tomorrow she had to have a good bath this evening.

My car was quite the topic of conversation at the little local bar in Cedar Key last night. One guest kept offering me things in trade (a lovely, funny older gentleman with his wife, on vacation). He had a pretty nice 1950 Chevy truck with 24,000 original miles he offered in trade several times. Even showing me a pic on his phone. He then threw in his wife's Lexus. Then about 10 minutes after he and his wife left, he came back with a dog under each arm, and everyone in the bar cracked up. Too funny.

I think the tiny town of Cedar Key will be talking about the Tesla that came for a few days for a while...

- - - Updated - - -

20131219_082647.jpg