Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another alignment question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my M3P last Thursday, and I LOVE IT. I did notice, however, that my alignment was off (steering wheel not straight and the car wandered side to side at highway speeds). I took it to the SC the very next morning to let them know and we scheduled an appointment for this Wednesday. I got a notification today to approve the estimated cost of getting the car aligned. When I messaged back that I received the car misaligned, etc, the SC replied that they need to inspect it and if the misalignment wasn’t caused by outside factors then it would be free. I mean, WTF? How do they determine that, and even if they find something how do they determine when it happened considering the car was delivered to me at my home (driven by the Tesla person)?

I got the car with close to 40 miles on it by the time it arrived at my home. I noticed the misalignment almost immediately (delivery guy had left by then), and I drove it for 2 miles before I arrived at the SC. I’m pretty shocked and disappointed tbh and will probably blow a gasket if they try to make me pay. Granted the cost won’t kill me but it’s the principle. What kind of customer service is this, from the get-go??

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys and gals have had this happen to you and if you were denied warranty, what did you do about it? I am in CA so was thinking file a claim with the Bureau of Auto Repair?

Got my M3P last Thursday, and I LOVE IT. I did notice, however, that my alignment was off (steering wheel not straight and the car wandered side to side at highway speeds). I took it to the SC the very next morning to let them know and we scheduled an appointment for this Wednesday. I got a notification today to approve the estimated cost of getting the car aligned. When I messaged back that I received the car misaligned, etc, the SC replied that they need to inspect it and if the misalignment wasn’t caused by outside factors then it would be free. I mean, WTF? How do they determine that, and even if they find something how do they determine when it happened considering the car was delivered to me at my home (driven by the Tesla person)?

I got the car with close to 40 miles on it by the time it arrived at my home. I noticed the misalignment almost immediately (delivery guy had left by then), and I drove it for 2 miles before I arrived at the SC. I’m pretty shocked and disappointed tbh and will probably blow a gasket if they try to make me pay. Granted the cost won’t kill me but it’s the principle. What kind of customer service is this, from the get-go??

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys and gals have had this happen to you and if you were denied warranty, what did you do about it? I am in CA so was thinking file a claim with the Bureau of Auto Repair?
Most likely they would just look for aftermarket suspension components and/or damage to the wheels and tires indicative of hitting a curb or pothole. I wouldn't worry about them not possibly covering the alignment. The inspection is just part of their standard operating procedure that they have to follow.

Last edited:
Almost the same thing happened to me after I picked mine up back in Dec of 2019. My appointment was about a week later. Steering wheel not straight and a slight pull. Shop manager drove it then came back and tried to blame the crown in the road for the pull. After another drive with me and pointing out the crown would cause it to pull the other way, and the steering wheel wasn't straight he did the alignment. It was a simple fix and was done in under 2 hrs. No charge under warranty. Along with a trunk panel fix and some paint buffing. Also agree with what android04 said in regards to them checking for damage.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
Did you get the alignment print out before and after the alignment?

I checked the alignment when the car was new for reference, and only the toe angles were a little bit out of range, otherwise all the other angles were in range.

My appt is tomorrow so I'll report back (if you were asking me). I love this car, I just want it to be up to spec and running. I am, admittedly, a tad OCD.

I will test drive the M3P I ordered on delivery day before I hand over a check. I have received WAY too many cars with alignment specs out or steering wheels off center. Every Tesla I test drove was fine so I’m expecting nothing less. Not this time…

Did you get the alignment print out before and after the alignment?

I checked the alignment when the car was new for reference, and only the toe angles were a little bit out of range, otherwise all the other angles were in range.
If the question was for me, I did not. But they fixed the steering wheel, fixed the pull and I dont have any excessive tire wear since, so overall I am very happy.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Then its no M3P for me

Then you want to plan for a ride home that isnt the tesla. You can inspect the car before taking delivery, but they are not going to let you drive it before taking delivery... at least not that I have heard of.

If "I must drive the car before I accept delivery" is a stipulation on whether you will pay for the vehicle or leave it there, you should be planning on the contingencies of what happens when you leave it there.

Reactions: TBrownTX

My first service experience wasn't great either.
My 2019 M3 RWD delivered without the hood emblem and a chip on the interior rearview mirror. A day after, I went to Buena Park, CA service center where my car was delivered. The service adviser told me the mirror chip is from an outside factor and tried to refuse to replace the mirror.
I was upset and return the vehicle(there was 7 days return policy in 2019). A week later I purchased M3 from a different location.

My 2019 M3 RWD delivered without the hood emblem and a chip on the interior rearview mirror. A day after, I went to Buena Park, CA service center where my car was delivered. The service adviser told me the mirror chip is from an outside factor and tried to refuse to replace the mirror.
I was upset and return the vehicle(there was 7 days return policy in 2019). A week later I purchased M3 from a different location.
WHOA!! Now thats playing hardball... I LOVE IT!! Way to step up and defend the values you believe in. To bad you had to do it, but I bet that service advisor learned a leason in customer service... Definitely being serious when I say, good for you man!!! Glad you got another 3 and hope it was a better delivery. Hopefully maximus has a good service center experience.

Wow, strong moves, my friend! I will still be within 7 days from delivery when my alignment happens, I wonder if the return policy is still in effect? :)

Warranties don't cover outside factors in the first place (like collision damage). I remember reading somewhere that generally SC cover most things (like for example scratches in paint, panel misalignments, etc) within 100 miles as part of delivery inspection, and after that they tend to get more strict, but if they find an obvious external cause (like evidence of smacking a pothole) that is not likely from factory, they may not cover it. As others mention this is just standard procedure. Just make sure you have on record that you aren't going to be charged for it if they don't find other factors. It's more complicated if for example you found evidence of damage by the delivery guy.

You may want to thoroughly inspect the car in the meantime to catch any "delivery" issues and have it all addressed in one visit. Once you go past 100 miles, it'll be much harder to claim issues are part of delivery.

Reactions: Rmchrger