Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another audio upgrade thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi jasonspy,

That will be great, The NVX is a very neat solution that keeps the back a bit more in tact.

Mounting extra speakers in the rear hatch is something you need to do carefully.
I heard a great (very expensive) upgraded system with these speakers mounted and if the driver wants to benefit from it, passengers will be overloaded by them.
So if you have occasional passengers in the rear they will not like it.
To be honest a stereo image that has a balanced direction from the front is always preferabele.
adding 3" Audison spakers in the dashboard would make more sense to me and is also done before. (3way Audison front speaker set)
But you can do without them very well, I love the system every time i use the car.

Good luck.
Peter

Peter,

The rear hatch speakers are for my youngest who sits in the jump seats. Just to give him something in addition to the sub frequencies to listen to! I doubt i'll hear the hatch speakers at all!
Do you know if there's any equalisation or bass roll-off with the front channels from the Head Unit?
Looking forward to the equipment arriving. Looking at your doors, I've just ordered 5 more metres of sound deadening material.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

That indeed would make sense.
I have my front channels driving all speakers and the eq of the Tesla is at '0' and I never felt the need for any adjustments.
There is a bit fiddling with the crossover frequency and gain in the beginning. I believe I cross at about 90Hz
I have the JL audio pretty low, so you need to crank the volume up quite a bit of the head unit. Very silent songs can make you go to '11' but then the car rocks.
The advantage of doing so is that the noise is lower (you cascade two amps) and the built in loudness contour correction for low volume that the TESLA has is not active anymore.
I do tweak the JL Sub and front/back control occasional but overal I am just enjoying as is.

Good luck,
Peter

Peter:
If you replaced the amplifier why do the rear door speakers still have high frequency equalization boost? what remaining Tesla audio component, (perhaps a premp?) causes this? What would need to be done to flatten the signal?

Peter:
If you replaced the amplifier why do the rear door speakers still have high frequency equalization boost? what remaining Tesla audio component, (perhaps a premp?) causes this? What would need to be done to flatten the signal?
You only replace the power amp, or better said you cascade a power amp to the existing one so its factory equalization stays.
Tesla could flatten it if they want to but as they do not promote aftermarket changes I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen.

Peter,
Sorry I can't send a PM. I started the install a few days ago a few hours at a time. Tesla have changed wires colours and positions so it's been a learning process more than pure installation.
However its nearly there just a question, where did you hide the (big) crossover boxes for the front speakers?
Thanks,
Jason

Peter,
Sorry I can't send a PM. I started the install a few days ago a few hours at a time. Tesla have changed wires colours and positions so it's been a learning process more than pure installation.
However its nearly there just a question, where did you hide the (big) crossover boxes for the front speakers?
Thanks,
Jason
They got a place behind the dashboard. There was enough space. We Enoug space where in the ultra audio the extra amps are. Left from the steering wheel.
Good luck