Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another botched delivery story.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the story. Bought used on line through Tesla's website on 5/8. Car was located in San Diego, they offered to ship for free to Las Vegas (I'm in Phoenix)

I scheduled a delivery appointment to pick up car today (5/21) 2:30pm

Just as I'm about to board my airplane to Vegas I get a call saying "car has a safety issue and won't be ready" my wife and I are furious.

I have been in contact with the people in Las Vegas leading up to my delivery after all the horror stories I've heard. Making sure car is there and ready to go. Everytime they said yes.

Now I'm back home without a car hoping I can get a loaner from our local Tesla store. They have said they will ship the car to me for free. It's just when will it come?

How does this happen so often?!?!?

They don't care about used cars, horror stories all over the place about the used experience. I could order a car from carmax or carvanna across the country and have 0 issues with communication or speed. Carmax charges $999 to ship a car from east coast to west coast, Tesla charges double that with worse service. It's either sheer incompetence or poor management. Also most employees I've dealt with either have no clue what is happening or just straight up ignore you.

Tesla only cares about pushing new cars out the door, used is an afterthought.

Here's the story. Bought used on line through Tesla's website on 5/8. Car was located in San Diego, they offered to ship for free to Las Vegas (I'm in Phoenix)

I scheduled a delivery appointment to pick up car today (5/21) 2:30pm

Just as I'm about to board my airplane to Vegas I get a call saying "car has a safety issue and won't be ready" my wife and I are furious.

I have been in contact with the people in Las Vegas leading up to my delivery after all the horror stories I've heard. Making sure car is there and ready to go. Everytime they said yes.

Now I'm back home without a car hoping I can get a loaner from our local Tesla store. They have said they will ship the car to me for free. It's just when will it come?

How does this happen so often?!?!?

I would have boarded that plane and forced their hand.

Well atleast they're trying to make it right. But overall this is the type of service I get from my cable company.

For future reference, I'm wondering if the move (when taking delivery involves a flight), would be to not actually book the flight until the supposed delivery day. From reading stories here it seems like there's a >50% chance they cancel at the last minute no matter how many times you call and confirm. So flip that on them, and if they don't actually cancel the delivery just call them and say "oh sorry i couldn't make it today- can i pick it up next week...".

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
It doesn't happen that often. When you hear a few incidents on the forums about issues, that means there are hundreds of deliveries that went well.

Catching a plane to pick up a car is always going to be a risky proposition.

The car has been "ready for pickup" since Thursday. I couldn't clear my schedule until today (Tuesday) I get a phone call 2 hours before my scheduled appointment time saying my car has a safety issue all of a sudden and it needs to be in service for a week. Seriously wtf

Reactions: Darren Donovan
They could have just been quiet about that safety issue discovered in final inspection, and delivered your car.

Believe they are doing the right thing here.

Understand your frustration though.

Sure I agree. Just frustrated that I tried so hard and communicated voice to voice that there is no problem with the car and its actually on site days in advance because all the stories I've read.

Forum Induced Anxiety (FIA) is common for people reading forums. All the bad stuff stands out and worries people waiting for their cars. Normal to worry that a complaint from someone else will ruin their ownership experience.

Also see lots of posts from people that had issues, but that they were quickly and satisfactorily resolved by Tesla follow up service.

• Funny
Reactions: darxsys
Catching a plane to pick up a car is always going to be a risky proposition.

I've done it 3 times with BMW (twice picking up in Germany and once picking up at a US dealer 600 miles away) and the experience has always been outstanding. Cars were perfectly prepared and delivered exactly when they said it would (When taking delivery in Germany they schedule it down to the minute-lol). Also was able to sign all paperwork at home beforehand with no issues. Was picked up at the airport all 3 times as well. I do remember reading on a BWW forum that somone's euro delivery car was damaged - they were given a similar car to drive around europe and a new car was built and shipped to their house in the US. I really want a Tesla but its going to suck giving up such good customer service. Tesla REALLY needs to step up their game. Cutting costs on customer service (especially delivery) is not the way to go.

Reactions: darxsys
Update:
I'm glad they were able to set me up with a Tesla loaner car the next day. So I've officially had a Model S in the driveway since Wednesday:)

Latest update on my car is maybe at the end of next week it'll be ready for pickup.

Update:
I'm glad they were able to set me up with a Tesla loaner car the next day. So I've officially had a Model S in the driveway since Wednesday:)

Latest update on my car is maybe at the end of next week it'll be ready for pickup.

Well...still waiting for my car. My delivery guy said today it will get to my delivery center by the end of Friday (tomorrow) which means I might get it next week. Even though they got me in a loaner...I want my car!

Well not sure if anyone is following my post but here another update.

Still without the car, been given extreme runaround. The latest was I going to get home delivery yesterday 5pm after my delivery on Saturday then on Sunday got pushed back. So 5:15pm, still no car, I called. They said the car has some parking sensors and bumper that was not right and needed to be fixed. UM HELLO?! just found this out now!?!

But found out the car was at our local Tesla delivery center so I went to put eyes on it. I had thoughts the car didn't even exist.
Now the next step is it has to go into service to fix a few things. And then maybe I'll get delivery

Attachments

• 20190604_124749.jpg
    20190604_124749.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190604_135338.jpg
    20190604_135338.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190604_135311.jpg
    20190604_135311.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190604_124724.jpg
    20190604_124724.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190604_135232.jpg
    20190604_135232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190604_125040.jpg
    20190604_125040.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 60
...So flip that on them, and if they don't actually cancel the delivery just call them and say "oh sorry i couldn't make it today- can i pick it up next week...
That’s exactly what I did, and would advise the same for anyone...

Once they confirmed delivery at the site, I informed them I would be there the following weekend and proceeded to book my flight to Vegas. No need in my opinion to try and execute the logistics of delivery and receipt all in the same day—or close to it.

In the end, all the planning in the world can’t fix an experience like this. Let them give it a go at fixing it and if they can’t just move on and look for another CPO. I think you have a case for a refund if you choose to pursue it...

Last edited: