Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model 3 price increase? RWD up by $2K? [posted 03/14/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this car has become very expensive. The Model 3 performance is over $80k in Canada now.

It hasnt "become" expensive, it always was pretty expensive. Its only a "bargain" when you compare the actual speed / performance of the vehicle to the cost, and that is still there, comparative to the competition.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
Good to remember Tesla earns like 25% per vehicle, higher than any manufacturer. That just means they set higher prices.

I checked my area for a Tesla CPO Model 3 and a 2018 SR+ is the cheapest at $44,000 with 29,000 miles. No FSD or other upgrades except paint color. I’d love to be the one who paid under $44k OTD, got $7,500 tax incentive, drove the car for years, and then sold it for above original full purchase price.

May I note that compared to EV’s available or soon available, the Model 3 is no longer the obvious choice (or bargain) that it once was. I thought Tesla would eventually lose its grip on the market.
Nice! I love being the one who bought an SR+ in February 2021 for $36,990. Crazy to see how much higher prices are after only a mere twelve months.

Reactions: BostonBurley
It hasnt "become" expensive, it always was pretty expensive. Its only a "bargain" when you compare the actual speed / performance of the vehicle to the cost, and that is still there, comparative to the competition.
Yes and no. It's no longer faster than it's competition as the M3 xDrive is faster and is a better overall performance vehicle. Even with the latest increase the M3P comes in a little cheaper but it also has far less content as the M3 is loaded with more tech. When you consider the M3P is basically a LR with bigger brakes and wheels (it's not even lowered) it's not really a great deal. It should have come at least with adaptive suspension like other performance cars in this price range receive.

Yes and no. It's no longer faster than it's competition as the M3 xDrive is faster and is a better overall performance vehicle. Even with the latest increase the M3P comes in a little cheaper but it also has far less content as the M3 is far more loaded with tech. When you consider the M3P is basically a LR with bigger brakes and wheels it's not really a great deal. It should have come at least with adaptive suspension like other performance cars in this price range receive.

How are you defining faster? I dont believe that car is faster (an M3 competition is 3.8, a model 3p is 3.1 and that is a chasm, not a "little bit"), and an M3 is not that price, either. By the time you finish optioning up an M3 they are normally in the 80k+ range (US, not Canadian).

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 9.39.07 AM.png

With that being said, your position on tesla vehicles is pretty clear across multiple threads, and I dont feel every car is for every person, and think people need to buy what speaks to them.

Reactions: Lindenwood
How are you defining faster? I dont believe that car is faster (an M3 competition is 3.8, a model 3p is 3.1 and that is a chasm, not a "little bit"), and an M3 is not that price, either. By the time you finish optioning up an M3 they are normally in the 80k+ range (US, not Canadian).

View attachment 781651

With that being said, your position on tesla vehicles is pretty clear across multiple threads, and I dont feel every car is for every person, and think people need to buy what speaks to them.
The xDrive version is under 3 seconds 0-60 and hits the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds @ 124.7 mph.

I don't think I have ever seen a M3P break 120 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Even taking straight line acceleration out of the equation it's the fifth fasted sedan C&D has ever tested on the lighthing lap as it hangs with supercars.

I get that the M3P will still be quicker on the street but in straight out drag racing the M3/M4 is faster and around a track it won't be close. Say what you want about the looks but the performance of the xDrive versions is on another level.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I can’t help but chime in that Tesla vehicles are often unable to achieve their advertised 0-60 time by journalists in optimal, controlled conditions. BMW always exceeds their advertised 0-60 in the same scenario. I think that an xdrive M3 would likely show up the current M3P in 0-60, and definitely in 1/4… and on the track the BMW M3 is at home while the M3P hangs at the back of the pack of its European rivals, with lots of compromises due to its weight and other EV-specific limitations.

Having said all that, I would pick the Model 3 every single time.

I thought about the new M3 Xdrive as an option vs the Tesla Model 3P. Even just with some minor packages (driving assistance package, exterior color, performance options) it's an $83K car. Add in the additional taxes and BMW dealer fees and it's pretty much a $25K price difference. It can easily creep up much closer to $90K with some of the other options I would like to have. At least in the US it's a whole different price range to me than the M3P and not really apples to apples. Can't speak about outside the US. I would definitely like to own one but BMW pricing is really getting up there and in all honesty it better beat the M3P in just about every measurable performance category.

But I do wish that Tesla offered even better brakes, adjustable suspension, maybe more carbon fiber trim/aero/wheels tires as options for the M3P. I would gladly pay for it. Clearly you can go aftermarket and I can wrench and install myself but I always like OEM with a warranty when I can get it.

The M3 with xdrive looks like a beast but you're paying a lot more for it. But if price weren't a factor it'd be a toss up for me. A non-electric performance vehicle may have the same 0-60 times but the power delivery and sound makes the experience much different. It seems the M3P is more consistent and foolproof with its performance but that does decline with % of SOC. IMO there's also more fun things you can do to mod and tune a gas car.

But about the price increase, and considering the used market it feels like there's still more headroom for price hikes.

The M3P is quick to 60mph, but from a performance perspective that is where the fun ends. It is missing all the things that make a performance car exciting. It lacks power at highways speeds, it’s heavy, the upgraded brakes have pads with little to no bite. Instead of exhaust note, Supercharger or turbo noises you get wind and tire noise instead. The interior is too bland for a performance trim, the seats have no bolstering, no adaptive suspension, no drive modes to relax the nannies and it lacks the visual appeal for a performance trim. It needs a more aggressive front fascia with splitter, rear diffuser, flare the fenders a bit and put some wider tires on 19” forged wheels.

As a stoplight hero daily driver it is a great car but if you are serious about performance and driving engagement the M3P will eventually leave you longing for something with more character and engagement.

Reactions: heavyD
The M3P is quick to 60mph, but from a performance perspective that is where the fun ends. It is missing all the things that make a performance car exciting. It lacks power at highways speeds, it’s heavy, the upgraded brakes have pads with little to no bite. Instead of exhaust note, Supercharger or turbo noises you get wind and tire noise instead. The interior is too bland for a performance trim, the seats have no bolstering, no adaptive suspension, no drive modes to relax the nannies and it lacks the visual appeal for a performance trim. It needs a more aggressive front fascia with splitter, rear diffuser, flare the fenders a bit and put some wider tires on 19” forged wheels.

As a stoplight hero daily driver it is a great car but if you are serious about performance and driving engagement the M3P will eventually leave you longing for something with more character and engagement.
Yes it would be really nice if Tesla gave us more options with the M3P (like you highlighted, adjustable dampers, Recaro seats, more aero, etc). Having said that, if you watch Youtube videos with some minor mods to the suspension (coilovers, camber, sway bars) and some lighter wheels and stickier tires the M3P is a beast on the track because of the instant torque and it carries it carries it's weight very well. People get hung up on the weight but with power delivery to the wheels and track mode, most of the weight is in the center and low to the ground. More weight and less engaging steering/handling has been plaguing most brands for years including BMW, Audi, Corvette, and even Porsche to some degree. The upcoming Lotus Emira is going to be heavy even by Lotus standards at over 3K lbs. Compare that to the Exige that weighed over 1K lbs less.

It is what it is.

The xDrive version is under 3 seconds 0-60 and hits the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds @ 124.7 mph.

I don't think I have ever seen a M3P break 120 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Even taking straight line acceleration out of the equation it's the fifth fasted sedan C&D has ever tested on the lighthing lap as it hangs with supercars.

I get that the M3P will still be quicker on the street but in straight out drag racing the M3/M4 is faster and around a track it won't be close. Say what you want about the looks but the performance of the xDrive versions is on another level.
that bmw looks terrible and is way more expensive. and slower. you know how many model 3s probably get used on a road course? like .001% of them.

So how much did the M3P go up? looks like 2500 more than my order? I feel lucky I got it ordered before the price increase.

$3K since it didn't get a bump earlier in March. (Here's How Much Tesla Cars Cost And How Long You Will Wait For Delivery)

Tesla Model 3:

• RWD: up $2,000 (or 4.4%) from $44,990 to $46,990
  • Long Range AWD: up $2,500 (or 4.8%) from $51,990 to $54,490
  • Performance: up $3,000 (or 5.1%) from $58,990 to $61,990

So through a series of bad decisions, I still don't have a model 3 despite almost getting one at that 39k price late last year. I'm still very interested but now the car is much more expensive. I just keep on waiting and it keeps on getting more expensive lol. I still might order one just because I don't think it's gonna get any cheaper anytime soon, so what better time than the present?

Anyone else in my boat who was thiiiiis close last year and now kicking themself but still wanting one? haha

So through a series of bad decisions, I still don't have a model 3 despite almost getting one at that 39k price late last year. I'm still very interested but now the car is much more expensive. I just keep on waiting and it keeps on getting more expensive lol. I still might order one just because I don't think it's gonna get any cheaper anytime soon, so what better time than the present?

Anyone else in my boat who was thiiiiis close last year and now kicking themself but still wanting one? haha

Did you cancel your deposit/order? You get the old price if so...

Well, pretty much everything is going up in price so what can you do. It looks like EVs will be in high demand and low supply for the foreseeable future so I would not expect much change in the short term. Once we start seeing a bit more EV competition and improvements in supply chain it should stabilizing prices.

Reactions: Rodney!