Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model X Problem!!! 3rd row seat stuck in down position.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My third row driver’s side seat is now stuck in the folded position. The electric lock makes an initial electric locking noise and then continues with a quieter electric motor noise for another five seconds. However, the seat stays locked down. I’ve tried a car reset, pressure, and also messing with the headrest. No luck.

My third row driver’s side seat is now stuck in the folded position. The electric lock makes an initial electric locking noise and then continues with a quieter electric motor noise for another five seconds. However, the seat stays locked down. I’ve tried a car reset, pressure, and also messing with the headrest. No luck.

Good luck with replacement... I can't believe this is still happening to so many people.

Same problem here. You should call the SC, I was told that I needed a new seat cable and they’d have to order it. Still waiting for it to come in ~5 weeks later. Fortunately I don’t use the 3rd row seats much so it hasn’t been that much of an inconvenience, but I agree with others that it’s yet another thing that shouldn’t be breaking in the first place. I’d rather have manual latches like in every other van/SUV rather than fancy motorized latches that break.

Reactions: Nrazar
I've had my left 3rd row seat stuck in the down position for several months now. I had put the seat down one day and then that was it. It has been stuck down ever since. No sounds from the little electric motor like the other seat when you hit the button. I called the Tesla Centre in Vancouver and they indicated right away that the fix to this problem was a new seat. I asked them if my other seat will be prone to this same problem and if they have produced a modification to prevent this failure in the future. I was told that no it won't happen to my other seat (this obviously made no sense) and no she did not know if they had remedied the initial issue. Nonetheless, I was called by Tesla several weeks later but was in a meeting so was unable to answer immediately. I called back and the fellow I spoke to had no idea who called me or why. He said he would get back to me once he figured out what happened. Several weeks passed (maybe months, I'm not sure). Anyway, I called to ask the status and the fellow who answered thought he remembered me (stuck seat in Kamloops I guess was memorable). I wondered if he was the guy that was supposed to get back to me. I asked about my seat as well as a separate unrelated warranty part they were ordering and which I have not been called about. He disappeared for 5 minutes and then told me that their shop had sent the seat back to the factory because it sat in their shop for too long!!! I maintained my cool (while feeling bewildered at how such incompetence was possible) and was advised they will order another seat and then call me. This time I'm going to be more active and call back every two weeks. I'm not sure I'm contributing to the betterment of the Tesla community here - it is more of a rant as it has been pretty frustrating. I thought about it though and I have had similar experiences at other manufacturers dealers (which is why I avoid dealers like the plague). Unfortunately we are all stuck using the local service centres (which for me is 3 hours drive away). I'm curious if anyone has discovered a magical "do it yourself" fix for this problem? Mainly because if it happens to my other seat I'd like to avoid the whole Tesla Service Centre fiasco.

I've had my left 3rd row seat stuck in the down position for several months now. I had put the seat down one day and then that was it. It has been stuck down ever since. No sounds from the little electric motor like the other seat when you hit the button. I called the Tesla Centre in Vancouver and they indicated right away that the fix to this problem was a new seat. I asked them if my other seat will be prone to this same problem and if they have produced a modification to prevent this failure in the future. I was told that no it won't happen to my other seat (this obviously made no sense) and no she did not know if they had remedied the initial issue. Nonetheless, I was called by Tesla several weeks later but was in a meeting so was unable to answer immediately. I called back and the fellow I spoke to had no idea who called me or why. He said he would get back to me once he figured out what happened. Several weeks passed (maybe months, I'm not sure). Anyway, I called to ask the status and the fellow who answered thought he remembered me (stuck seat in Kamloops I guess was memorable). I wondered if he was the guy that was supposed to get back to me. I asked about my seat as well as a separate unrelated warranty part they were ordering and which I have not been called about. He disappeared for 5 minutes and then told me that their shop had sent the seat back to the factory because it sat in their shop for too long!!! I maintained my cool (while feeling bewildered at how such incompetence was possible) and was advised they will order another seat and then call me. This time I'm going to be more active and call back every two weeks. I'm not sure I'm contributing to the betterment of the Tesla community here - it is more of a rant as it has been pretty frustrating. I thought about it though and I have had similar experiences at other manufacturers dealers (which is why I avoid dealers like the plague). Unfortunately we are all stuck using the local service centres (which for me is 3 hours drive away). I'm curious if anyone has discovered a magical "do it yourself" fix for this problem? Mainly because if it happens to my other seat I'd like to avoid the whole Tesla Service Centre fiasco.
Similar to my experience. They told me they would call me back for some small part (B Pillar cover). Never called me back. While I had it in for some other service later I asked if they had the part that they supposedly ordered. They said they did. They didn't but they held on to my car for an extra couple days for good measure. I had to call back again a couple weeks later and they scheduled a ranger appointment. That person called in the morning claiming they were picking up the part from the SC. Never heard from the guy again. Called Ranger services and was told they'd call me back "in five minutes or less". Never heard from that guy again. Finally got someone in charge of Ranger Service in my area who was very responsive and contrite. It was fixed shortly after that. But their communication is horrific. I'm waiting for them to "call me back" on my faulty center screen but I know I'm going to have to call them next week to check.

Same problem here. You should call the SC, I was told that I needed a new seat cable and they’d have to order it. Still waiting for it to come in ~5 weeks later. Fortunately I don’t use the 3rd row seats much so it hasn’t been that much of an inconvenience, but I agree with others that it’s yet another thing that shouldn’t be breaking in the first place. I’d rather have manual latches like in every other van/SUV rather than fancy motorized latches that break.

I was told it was likely a cable working itself loose. They think a simple reattach and lock tight will do it. It’s at the SC now, so we’ll see.

Same thing happened to me only 3 months into the ownership of the MX. Finally took the car into the SC today. They fixed it pretty quick and the car was ready for pickup the same day before lunch time.

Here is what they wrote on the invoice:

Concern: Customer states that their 3rd row seat is stuck in the folded down position, and will not unlatch/ fold up when pressing on the switch.

Correction: 3rd Row Seat Assemblies & Hardware General Diagnosis

Verified customer concern. Re-installed cable support onto actuator housing. Seat is now operating as designed.

Pay Type: Goodwill.