Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery Panel Gaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's under warranty. Im still not sure why people measure at delivery when panel gaps are not a wear and tear item. Basically take the Model Y as long as there are no wear and tear items that look out of spec. Everything else will be fixed under warranty, especially panel gaps.

Reactions: EVChris
Hi!
It's delivery day for me, but I'm noticing some gaps for trunk and driver side's taillight. I took some pictures that I measured with a calipher.

I'm seeing 8.4 mm gap for driver side taillight and 6.0 mm gap for trunk.​

For the tail light gap, I can fit my finger in. (Just as reference, on the passenger side's tail light, I'm not able to fit my finger in)

View attachment 906524

View attachment 906525
If it’s not more than a 3mm error it’s going to be “in spec”

It's under warranty. Im still not sure why people measure at delivery when panel gaps are not a wear and tear item. Basically take the Model Y as long as there are no wear and tear items that look out of spec. Everything else will be fixed under warranty, especially panel gaps.
Not true, they are clamping down hard on repairs because they were fixing too many. Out of 20 fit and finish items reported before 100 miles they only replaced one gasket and fixed a seal. Unless it can be adjusted with the adjusters on the trunk, they are not going to adjust panels. I’m going to pick up the car now because they are saying this is in spec, and there’s nothing I can do they’re telling me to pound sand.
1697901169725.png

1697901203970.png

Not true, they are clamping down hard on repairs because they were fixing too many. Out of 20 fit and finish items reported before 100 miles they only replaced one gasket and fixed a seal. Unless it can be adjusted with the adjusters on the trunk, they are not going to adjust panels. I’m going to pick up the car now because they are saying this is in spec, and there’s nothing I can do they’re telling me to pound sand.
View attachment 984119
View attachment 984120
Looks reasonable to me.

View attachment 984119
Agreed. I really dont see an issue.
.030” on one side an .150” on the other I have not seen another Y with the same gap, I’m an engineer so maybe pickier than most but that would never fly on any other car.

What really annoyed me is after they replaced my door gasket it was delivered to them in showroom condition, 24 hours later at pickup it had bird *sugar* all over, tree sap, a big dirty boot print on the door rubber, the took out my roof sunscreen in the back for whatever reason, left it in the back with a clip missing. Riverside CA Tesla is to be avoided, they also replaced a cracked door gasket in my 2020 3 for the 3rd time my cost and I wound up having the worst wind noise ever the same week.