Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYLR Delivery Day - Bad Panel Gaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I want to share my story. After 3 months of waiting I got my car on April 27th. The car has some gap in the tail light and other gaps in the driver side. I think they can be repaired. So accepted it and made a service appointment on May 1st. Then put the car in the service center for a week. When I went to get the car. They told me it couldn't be repaired. Gave me 2 body shops far from my house, asked me to make an appointment to see if they could fix it.They told me they would pay for everything. That's it. No other explanation.i dont think i will do it.this is new car and i dont want them take off all part and try to fix it.it may be screwed up all with not satisfied result.LOL. feel like its going to bunch of work if i want it to be better.right?i think we shouldnt accept the car if there is gap you want to fix,or just enjoy it.
742B376D-1678-4E6C-AFD4-E3E39B5CA0B5.jpeg
EF904ADF-866A-4573-A576-287855746278.jpeg
30A01E20-3C9C-4EBD-8B24-09678782C9DC.jpeg

If you gotta ask others, it isn’t enough to worry about. A Tesla is a low to mid priced car, it’s down there with Hyundai. Just enjoy the car.

The guy in the hangar across from me showed up in a new Mercedes yesterday. I googled it, just north of $200k. Said he didn’t like it as much as his last Mercedes which was custom built (they do that?). He has the right to complain about a 1/4” inch difference in the gaps.

Reactions: cdswm3
If you gotta ask others, it isn’t enough to worry about. A Tesla is a low to mid priced car, it’s down there with Hyundai. Just enjoy the car.

The guy in the hangar across from me showed up in a new Mercedes yesterday. I googled it, just north of $200k. Said he didn’t like it as much as his last Mercedes which was custom built (they do that?). He has the right to complain about a 1/4” inch difference in the gaps.

Yes they do that! Most European cars are oredered and you can also opt for "individual" interion and exterior away from the normal selections for a "fee".

IMG_1143.jpeg
Another bad build quality on a new Fremont 2023 Model Y. On delivery everything was good but 2 weeks in the driver door didn't shut all the way as the door and frame didn't match. 2 weeks in the bodyshop and it was fixed. 3 months later the door doesn't touch the seals, Tesla was nice enough to replace the door seal that didn't fix it so I ended up getting 3/4in house foam insulation and did all the doors and rear hatch... fixed the air and wind coming in 🤬. SA said they'll give $300 credits for the rear hatch issue, ya no luck getting that even after talking with the manager. Alignment was off and I got charged $275, lovely. Now the passenger fender camera display turns red and the driver window only goes up 1/2 way and only goes up if the door is open first. But the biggest gripe is the sudden reduction in range, 90-20% at best 200 miles, it use to be 249 miles (but since the last update, I only charge 80% max but typically only charge to 50% during the weekday). My friends 2020 MYLR is immaculate with no issues. WTH happened? Is this normal for the 2023 builds?

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 46
I'm conflicted in selling the car as the interest rates have gone up significantly after buying the car, also my landlord is installing a tesla universal charger. She can only lock the charger to a Tesla VIN to keep others from stealing electricity, she has the charger tied to her husband's account so she knows how much to charge me for ⚡

Today was delivery day for my 2023 MYLR. I waited 8 months. It was a Austin build. It had a really bad panel gap where the hatch met the left side. It was so bad that the left tail light was also not flush and you could see behind it. The front left headlight had a pretty bad gap too. After finding two quick bad gaps I kind of shut down and just rejected it. I will go into hold and wait for a new VIN.

My MYLR was parked next to a Fremont build that was pretty immaculate. I was able to compare my gaps to the Fremont which made my Austin look even worse. The Fremont car was a great reference.

Does anybody have any experience taking delivery of a car with a bad panel gap or two and getting them successfully fixed? I saw some minor gaps on other cars at the delivery center that I would have been fine with.

I guess I only get one more chance. Is it possible that the next car I get could be one that was previously rejected by somebody else?
View attachment 876330
Thanks for any info.
I was certainly given the impression that many of my concerns would be fixed as long as I reported them under 100 miles. What I didn’t know is things that are pretty obvious would be called in spec and not fixed so now I just have to live with it, my back trunk is off to one side and they won’t share with the spec is saying it is proprietary so basically they can say everything goes with inspect because you don’t know what spec is. I’m still fighting wind noise is from 2020 model three where they replace the door gasket and now it’s much worse than it was before. These cars are poor, fit and finish computers with wheels. When they open up charging to Ford next year, they are going to shoot themselves in the foot because that’s the only thing they got is the charging at work.
Love the cars but the attention to detail and quality is *sugar*. It’s the build that has the issues.

Reactions: thearcherian