Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another stupid autopilot question I'm sure somebody will answer in seconds...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...but I cant find an answer to. We currently have an AP1 2015 Model S with AP1 autopilot, which is enough for me. AP1 will turn on autosteer on any road it can pick up lane markings on; highway, back road, long driveway, whatever. We are looking to add to the pack and get something 2016 or newer but I can't find an answer as to whether or not 2016+ "Autopilot" (as described on the vehicle descriptions on the used tesla site) will operate off highway like AP1 does. My Tesla salesman doesn't even seem to know the answer. If base "Autopilot" on ap2+ cars does not work on back roads I need to get EAP or FSD because I use it on back roads a ton. Thanks in advance...

...If base "Autopilot" on ap2+ cars does not work on back roads I need to get EAP or FSD...

Free, standard, base, included Autopilot works as advertised:

1) TACC
2) Autosteer within the current lane.

Those 2 functions can work both on freeways and local city streets/back roads as long as the requirements are met. If they don't see lane lines then Autosteer won't work...

Your paid EAP is not free so it can do more such as Auto Lane Change...

When you say 2016+, are you referring to the refresh front fascia change? There actually are three main configuration variations in 2016. Up through around end of April is the classic nose, just like your 2015. Then from end of April up to mid-October you have the new front fascia, but still with AP1. AP1 functionality on these will be exactly the same as a 2016. Then starting mid-Oct 2016 is the introduction of AP2.

So with any discussion or 2016 models you need to be fairly specific as to which variant you are referencing.