Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone having jack nut issues (or not wanting to use a jack nut), there's a "blind well nut" that home depot sells for about $3 that seems to be working great for me so far. I got the 1/4 inch one and bought a 1/4 x 1 inch screw for it.

My jack nut was deformed to the point where the screw would work its way out and start rattling. For a while I fixed this by using a longer M6 bolt from an old TV mount I had...but after a few weeks that failed too. I got tired of tightening up the screw to stop the rattle. Part of this was my fault...I used excessive force to get the screw into the jack nut which caused one of the sides of the jack nut to break. I didn't know this until I pulled the jack nut out. In hindsight, I wish I would have just ditched the jack nut from the start.

I'm slightly worried about the well nut cracking if it gets to -40 here in the winter, but I'll deal with that when/if it happens.
Meant to post this on here as well after my install last month and completely forgot. I used a "well nut" too and no issues (my Jack nut came deformed too right out of the box so it went straight to the trash).

Wanted to share my experience on how to tune the Box + XLCA2 + Amp. Disclaimer: My JL Amp has a clipping LED so it made tuning the amp a lot easier.

Make sure your equalizer settings on the MCU is completely flat when tuning your setup. I used a 0db 50Hz sine wave file to test everything to simulate maximum travel for the subwoofer. Idea is to find the max before your signal starts clipping ergo distortion.

1. Based on Travisllado's post, there doesnt seem to be any factory bass roll-off so you should turn the bass-threshold arrow on the XLCA all the way clockwise. Start by disconnecting the RCAs from the amp-XLCA2 as safety precaution. You could leave everything connected but you risk damaging/blowing the sub.
2. Find the Max setting of the XLCA2 by playing the 50Hz signal at 3/4 volume or higher. Turn the Bass Output knob on the XLCA2 until you see the maximize LED go off, then dial it a tad back until it flickers or barely off. I turned it back a little more than I should but I wanted to be safe.
3. Now that you have the max signal setting on the XLCA2 dialed in, you can now feed that signal to the amp, in my case, the JL RD500/1 which has a clipping LED. Ran the 50Hz signal through again at 3/4+ volume and turned the input sensitivity knob until i saw the clipping LED flicker, dialed it back and Voila, the tune is complete! If you dont have a clipping LED, I recommend getting at cheapo multimeter to measure the actual AC voltage coming out of the RCAs.

V=√P⋅R​

so in my case (500*2)^(1/2)= 31.62V should be what I read on my multimeter from the RCAs. If you have the VADM1, itd be (320*2)^(1/2) = 25.29 V.

I listen to mostly hip hop, electronic, pop, rap, etc so my bass preference is on the "higher" side. I usually have my bass turned up to 4-5 on the equalizer at 3/4 volume. Bass is more than i need. I also get the added bonus of being able to view the clipping LED from my trunk so i know if my amp is clipping at high volumes. Happy Bumping Y'all. By far the best mod I've done so far to the car.
Bumping this back up. On my XLCA2, the maximize light never turns on when adjusting the bass dial. It only turns on when adjusting the main dial. Are you sure you didn’t mean Main? I am using the RCA outputs on the bass side.

Reply to myself. Make sure your remote bass knob on the LOC is turned all the way to the max. 🙄 my bad
Yeah I didn’t use the remote bass knob. Wanted everything to be seamless with no additional wiring. Yes turning the bass knob all the way up would solve your issue of maximizing the output from your LOC.

I’ve since upgraded my set up to include a JBL DSP4086 so i’ve ditched my active LOC - feeding my signal directly from my new DSP(line driver) to my sub amp. Highly recommend if you’re looking to upgrade SQ and consolidate your hardware.

Added bonus for all of y’all following Travisllado’s blog post and getting on-screen errors from adding an aftermarket amp(s). Instead of adding a solid state relay + resistor, you could set the DSP to delay turn on by 12+ seconds in the software - essentially a soft-start. Error occurs when the car senses a significant voltage drop upon start up. I have all my turn-on signals wired to my DSP so all my aftermarket equipment powers on post 12s car start up. Great feature for those of you scared of 12V/turtle/VC_left errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sellout
Yeah I didn’t use the remote bass knob. Wanted everything to be seamless with no additional wiring. Yes turning the bass knob all the way up would solve your issue of maximizing the output from your LOC.

I’ve since upgraded my set up to include a JBL DSP4086 so i’ve ditched my active LOC - feeding my signal directly from my new DSP(line driver) to my sub amp. Highly recommend if you’re looking to upgrade SQ and consolidate your hardware.

Added bonus for all of y’all following Travisllado’s blog post and getting on-screen errors from adding an aftermarket amp(s). Instead of adding a solid state relay + resistor, you could set the DSP to delay turn on by 12+ seconds in the software - essentially a soft-start. Error occurs when the car senses a significant voltage drop upon start up. I have all my turn-on signals wired to my DSP so all my aftermarket equipment powers on post 12s car start up. Great feature for those of you scared of 12V/turtle/VC_left errors.
Really neat idea. I dropped a simple toggle switch by my seat that completes the turn-on circuit between the LOC and amp. Just turn it off every time I get out of the car. Your idea seems even more automated if you also want to amp other speakers. Maybe a 12V delay circuit could do the same thing.

Reactions: cdub715
I just read 24 pages of this thread and it answered a lot of my install questions but I have now seen 2 different diagrams showing to tap pre and post amp for the LOC. Which is the correct one?

It looks like pre taps into green/red/purple/brown on the harness/connector with 6 wires. And post taps into the same colors but in the harness/connector with 10 wires.

-

Another thing I noticed being the only issue with this sub is it is underpowered.

The subwoofer is: NVX VSW104V2 10" 500 watt RMS 1000 watt Peak. 4 ohms.

The amp that the package comes with is:
NVX VADM1
• 180W x 1-Chan. @ 4 ohms
• 320W x 1-Chan. @ 2 ohms
• 500W x 1-Chan. @ 1 ohms

Wouldn't this suggest that the amplifier is incredibly underpowered in comparison since at 4 ohms this is only getting 180w. You could easily use something like NVX NDA102 which is:
• 310 watts x 1 channel @ 4 ohms
• 500 watts x 1 channel @ 2 ohms
• 750 watts x 1 channel @ 1 ohm

and still be under powering the sub, right?

I just read 24 pages of this thread and it answered a lot of my install questions but I have now seen 2 different diagrams showing to tap pre and post amp for the LOC. Which is the correct one?

It looks like pre taps into green/red/purple/brown on the harness/connector with 6 wires. And post taps into the same colors but in the harness/connector with 10 wires.

-

Another thing I noticed being the only issue with this sub is it is underpowered.

The subwoofer is: NVX VSW104V2 10" 500 watt RMS 1000 watt Peak. 4 ohms.

The amp that the package comes with is:
NVX VADM1
• 180W x 1-Chan. @ 4 ohms
• 320W x 1-Chan. @ 2 ohms
• 500W x 1-Chan. @ 1 ohms

Wouldn't this suggest that the amplifier is incredibly underpowered in comparison since at 4 ohms this is only getting 180w. You could easily use something like NVX NDA102 which is:
• 310 watts x 1 channel @ 4 ohms
• 500 watts x 1 channel @ 2 ohms
• 750 watts x 1 channel @ 1 ohm

and still be under powering the sub, right?
You are right but I think there might be a positive correlation between higher power amps and potentially creating fault codes. I'm guessing NVX chose this lower power amp to minimize the chance of fault codes.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I called NVX and got someone on the phone, the person was very helpful in explaining all the power stuff. That's a one size fits all type solution where you can definitely use the NDA102 and he suggested it to get more power while still being a pretty safe bet for the subwoofer.

One thing I did not realize or I overlooked until we talked was it's a dual 4-ohm sub wired so that you are using the rating for 2 ohms.

I also noticed something interesting in the amp descriptions: "Soft start turn-on" From googling I found this:

"This Softstart project is employed to limit these destructive inrush currents by momentarily introducing a resistance between the power transformer’s primary winding and the mains supply, which, after a brief moment, is completely connected to the mains. This momentary delay is already enough to charge the filter caps and limit the inrush current draw."

I think this helps greatly and why many people don't have the issues when using NVX setups with codes. Not all units have this functionality.

----

On the wiring, he said I would get an email for the wiring since it is no longer on the site anywhere. But in general he said on most cars you want to go pre-amp for the wiring when working with cars that have built in amplifiers.

On the wiring, he said I would get an email for the wiring since it is no longer on the site anywhere. But in general he said on most cars you want to go pre-amp for the wiring when working with cars that have built in amplifiers.

I am 99.9% sure you need to grab this signal post-amp. Most grab the subwoofer wires coming out of the amp. In fact, I don’t even know if there is a solution that can grab signal pre-amp.

If there is one, I would be interested in trying.

Yes, a dual 4-ohm in parallel will present a 2 ohm load to the amp. Add the other side wired in parallel and you will present a 1 ohm load to the amp. Good luck!

Something like this. NVX offers a subwoofer box for each side of the Model Y hatch. You can tie all the wires together into the amp like below.

If all voice coils in the DVC sub are 4 ohm, the total resistance in this image would be 1 ohm.
IMG_3334.png
IMG_3335.png

Ahhhh, thanks for the info. on the 1 ohm solution, I'll be doing the 2ohm setup.

On the wiring, I believe you are right to use post amp, I think I was confused which wires until I took things apart yesterday and there is only really that solution. Which is why the LOC that is used for the signal remote on in the setup can " Handles up to 30V (225 watts RMS)" and then cleans it up for the amp.

----

It's all starting to come together now in my head. If I were to add a second amp in the future could I split the LOC RCA output there and run two rca pairs from it? As well as the remote line out being split?

Ahhhh, thanks for the info. on the 1 ohm solution, I'll be doing the 2ohm setup.

On the wiring, I believe you are right to use post amp, I think I was confused which wires until I took things apart yesterday and there is only really that solution. Which is why the LOC that is used for the signal remote on in the setup can " Handles up to 30V (225 watts RMS)" and then cleans it up for the amp.

----

It's all starting to come together now in my head. If I were to add a second amp in the future could I split the LOC RCA output there and run two rca pairs from it? As well as the remote line out being split?
If you are talking about running a second subwoofer amp, then I suggest just getting a larger and more powerful amp instead to run more subs.

If you are looking for a second amp to power other speakers in the vehicle, then it gets a bit more complicated. You will want to tap into full range wires vs subwoofer wires. Might want a different LOC, or even a DSP.

Do you have factory sub in your car? If so, there's a diagram on the product page:
If you have SR+ then the main difference would be tapping sub from front door speakers and power from the penthouse location under the rear seat. Basically it's 6 wires you have to find alternate sources for compared to the premium system which relies on the sub amp connections - front door left+, front door left-, front door right+, front door right-, 12v, ground. I believe the rest is the same. As for finding front door speaker wires you can trace the wire from the door itself or contact TeslaOffer to get a plug and play connector that they can modify for this purpose. Going the TeslaOffer route will also activate dormant speakers.

I've done a ton of digging to get this done for my SR+, and this post helped an immense amount. NVX removed like all wiring diagrams and helpful material from their site - I've been losing my mind.

I know I'm pinging you two years later, but genuinely dude thanks!

Reactions: C-Bus Y and tlr1000
Anyone know why I might be testing for roughly 1 volt AC at the RCA output. Was trying to dial in my settings, but this is obscenely low. My voltmeter seems to measure elsewhere fine.

Nowhere near 25.2 😅

It's not actually AC, it's an audio signal there, so the frequencies will be all over the map depending on what you are playing. Some voltmeters only look for 60Hz as being 'AC', so if your signal has low amplitude 60Hz audio that might do it. You might try playing a 60Hz sine wave as an experiment.

It's not actually AC, it's an audio signal there, so the frequencies will be all over the map depending on what you are playing. Some voltmeters only look for 60Hz as being 'AC', so if your signal has low amplitude 60Hz audio that might do it. You might try playing a 60Hz sine wave as an experiment.
Thanks for this tip! It also turns out I was incorrectly measuing the voltage as well haha.

My 2021 M3P sub wiring block is different than the NVX wiring diagram.
Where to tap for power looks obvious since there is a red next to the gray, but I’m not getting power to the XCLA2.
Also speaker colors aren’t mapping to NVX diagram.
Anyone solve this?
Hello

Same problem here 2 years later. I have the same problem as you. No wiring diagram for the 21 model. And NVX will not provide me one . Have tried to calling them and sent mails. No Luck. Stupid when you have bought a rater expensive product from them but they do not follow it up for their customers. Guess you found out? Need help. Can you show some pictures or diagram? Would apreciate that a lot.