Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the NVX complete kit (with sub, amp, LOC, etc) for my M3 with premium sound because I just can’t get okay with the factory sub. Not rich and no response below 40 Hz. I’ll let you know how it goes
Excellent! Really looking forward to your review. Are you planning to run the NVX in conjunction with the factory sub? (That's what NVX did on their yt video). Also let us know if it blocks the trunk led as well as manual release cable for the charging door.

Excellent! Really looking forward to your review. Are you planning to run the NVX in conjunction with the factory sub? (That's what NVX did on their yt video). Also let us know if it blocks the trunk led as well as manual release cable for the charging door.

Yes I was going to leave the factory sub intact and tap the wires, so it’s reversible if that were necessary for any reason.

You might’ve seen that they responded to the YouTube comment about the manual charging release. It does block it. They said you could keep a 10mm socket in the trunk and it would take “five minutes” to reach it if you did need to. There’s more detail in the post. I doubt I will ever need to access it, but it is a concern and I’m glad you brought it up.

Yes I was going to leave the factory sub intact and tap the wires, so it’s reversible if that were necessary for any reason.

You might’ve seen that they responded to the YouTube comment about the manual charging release. It does block it. They said you could keep a 10mm socket in the trunk and it would take “five minutes” to reach it if you did need to. There’s more detail in the post. I doubt I will ever need to access it, but it is a concern and I’m glad you brought it up.

If I were putting this in my temptation would be to wire in some bullet connectors to the factory sub speaker or better yet a switch so that I could turn the factory sub on/off to spend some listening time between having the oem sub running vs NVX only. That being said, if I wasn't in the mood for tinkering too much I'd also just run both. Very true that it is very unlikely to need access to the manual release cable. My charging door actually died recently and the mobile tech replaced the whole mechanism. He said that if it's defective, you can just pull the door manually open from the outside to access the charging port.

If I were putting this in my temptation would be to wire in some bullet connectors to the factory sub speaker or better yet a switch so that I could turn the factory sub on/off to spend some listening time between having the oem sub running vs NVX only. That being said, if I wasn't in the mood for tinkering too much I'd also just run both. Very true that it is very unlikely to need access to the manual release cable. My charging door actually died recently and the mobile tech replaced the whole mechanism. He said that if it's defective, you can just pull the door manually open from the outside to access the charging port.
The manual release cable unlatches the lock that holds the charger handle inside the port. It doesn’t affect opening the charger door.

Alright. So I received the kit a couple of weeks ago and got the chance to install it last weekend.

PROS:
- You finally have that bass you've wanted in your M3. Not only do you have a bigger sub and a more powerful amp, you now have the ability to fine tune the crossover/EQ/etc so that the level/punch/richness fit your taste. Rejoyce!
- The only tools that I needed other than standard tools and what's in the NVX kit were T-taps and a crimper to secure the taps.
- The install is not difficult. I had zero prior experience with car stereo installs and zero with T-taps and it worked out fine. I am fairly handy and have some general electronics experience. They say four hours for the install, which is about right. It'd probably be faster if you have any experience with car stereos.

CONS:
- You can't access the charging cable emergency release without taking the sub off (keeping a 10mm socket wrench would do the trick). It's unlikely you'd ever need to though...
- You do have to cut a small piece of the trunk liner, though its under the lid and I doubt you'd ever notice.
- You lose one of the trunk lights because it's covered by the sub. I did keep it and just placed it elsewhere at the top behind the sub. Again it's so high up under the lid that I don't think you'll notice the difference.
- You might break a clip or two (I broke one at the piece between the back seat and the door, but it didn't seem substantial enough to replace. They do seem easy to replace though if you had to).
- You have to remove a foam block behind the right rear seat to make room for the amp. I suspect it is there for road sound deadening. It's pretty small so I doubt it had a big impact.

Notes:
- I have a Late 2019 M3 Performance with the stock rear amp
- I have an Ohmmu Lithium 12V battery; I'm not sure if that helps with the extra load, but I haven't received the "Cannot maintain vehicle power" error message since I installed it last weekend. Hopefully I never will (the NVX rep I spoke to said he's had it installed in his M3 for months without such errors).
- I purchased the NVX complete kit with sub, amp, LOC, wiring at 2018 - 2021 Tesla Model 3 Powered BOOST Kit | PBK-TM3-VSW10S2 for $720

Misc notes:
- I secured the amp with velcro adhesive strips (see pic below). The LOC I just tucked in the right trunk well near the stock amp. There was plenty of space and it was cushioned by the yards of extra RCA cable they suppled me with :)
- I'm not sure you actually need to take the rear seats off! On my M3 (unlike the one in the @NVX install video) my trunk well separates with velcro from the piece that goes under the seats. I was able to reinstall everything with the seats in place. This is awesome because it negates one of the most intimidating steps of the install. It's possible they separated those two pieces with the Late 2019 M3 refresh?

So far I've been really happy. The install is clean and the stereo finally sounds like what I wanted in my $60k Tesla. The mids and highs are pretty good already in the stock premium stereo IMO.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 393
@23adrock, thanks for the review and pics. Based on the pics I'm guessing you have the factory sub running in conjunction with the NVX? Where did you mount the remote bass knob? I like the fact the carpet matches so nicely and that it doesn't take up as much space as those boxes that some put in the lower trunk. If there are any owners of the Hansshow kit near you, it would be interesting to do a back to back comparison.

@23adrock, thanks for the review and pics. Based on the pics I'm guessing you have the factory sub running in conjunction with the NVX? Where did you mount the remote bass knob? I like the fact the carpet matches so nicely and that it doesn't take up as much space as those boxes that some put in the lower trunk. If there are any owners of the Hansshow kit near you, it would be interesting to do a back to back comparison.

I actually unplugged the factory sub. There was a connector that went straight into it that I disconnected. I didn’t want to worry about phase issues and felt that any less strain on the 12 V power supply might help. I didn’t feel like I needed the power of two subwoofers after adding the new more powerful one.

In the video, they mentioned not installing the remote bass knob. Since you can adjust the low bass from the EQ on the Tesla screen, I just powered the new sub to be mid range and then I would just adjust the bass level that way.

Last edited:
I'd be down for a group buy. I appreciate that this doesn't use space that is otherwise critical, and leaves the trunk well open.

I might just put a short extension on the release for the charge port. I have had to use mine before, so I want it to be working.

I actually unplugged the factory sub. There was a connector that went straight into it that I disconnected. I didn’t want to worry about phase issues and felt that any less strain on the 12 V power supply might help. I didn’t feel like I needed the power of two subwoofers after adding the new more powerful one.

In the video, they mentioned not installing the remote bass knob. Since you can adjust the low bass from the EQ on the Tesla screen, I just powered the new sub to be mid range and then I would just adjust the bass level that way.

@23adrock,

Did you try running both subs or did you disconnect the factory sub as you mention outright? Was curious as to the sound difference with both subs running versus just the NVX.

Ski

Alright. So I received the kit a couple of weeks ago and got the chance to install it last weekend.

PROS:
- You finally have that bass you've wanted in your M3. Not only do you have a bigger sub and a more powerful amp, you now have the ability to fine tune the crossover/EQ/etc so that the level/punch/richness fit your taste. Rejoyce!
- The only tools that I needed other than standard tools and what's in the NVX kit were T-taps and a crimper to secure the taps.
- The install is not difficult. I had zero prior experience with car stereo installs and zero with T-taps and it worked out fine. I am fairly handy and have some general electronics experience. They say four hours for the install, which is about right. It'd probably be faster if you have any experience with car stereos.

CONS:
- You can't access the charging cable emergency release without taking the sub off (keeping a 10mm socket wrench would do the trick). It's unlikely you'd ever need to though...
- You do have to cut a small piece of the trunk liner, though its under the lid and I doubt you'd ever notice.
- You lose one of the trunk lights because it's covered by the sub. I did keep it and just placed it elsewhere at the top behind the sub. Again it's so high up under the lid that I don't think you'll notice the difference.
- You might break a clip or two (I broke one at the piece between the back seat and the door, but it didn't seem substantial enough to replace. They do seem easy to replace though if you had to).
- You have to remove a foam block behind the right rear seat to make room for the amp. I suspect it is there for road sound deadening. It's pretty small so I doubt it had a big impact.

Notes:
- I have a Late 2019 M3 Performance with the stock rear amp
- I have an Ohmmu Lithium 12V battery; I'm not sure if that helps with the extra load, but I haven't received the "Cannot maintain vehicle power" error message since I installed it last weekend. Hopefully I never will (the NVX rep I spoke to said he's had it installed in his M3 for months without such errors).
- I purchased the NVX complete kit with sub, amp, LOC, wiring at 2018 - 2021 Tesla Model 3 Powered BOOST Kit | PBK-TM3-VSW10S2 for $720

Misc notes:
- I secured the amp with velcro adhesive strips (see pic below). The LOC I just tucked in the right trunk well near the stock amp. There was plenty of space and it was cushioned by the yards of extra RCA cable they suppled me with :)
- I'm not sure you actually need to take the rear seats off! On my M3 (unlike the one in the @NVX install video) my trunk well separates with velcro from the piece that goes under the seats. I was able to reinstall everything with the seats in place. This is awesome because it negates one of the most intimidating steps of the install. It's possible they separated those two pieces with the Late 2019 M3 refresh?

So far I've been really happy. The install is clean and the stereo finally sounds like what I wanted in my $60k Tesla. The mids and highs are pretty good already in the stock premium stereo IMO.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Excellent writeup with pics. Thanks.

@tlr1000 , are you still in contact with NVX? How many buyers would they need to agree to a group buy.