Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ants attracted to charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today I found 20 or so ants on my car again. They staggered about going from the front grill air intake, over the driver side fender into the pillar gap above the side windows, then in the hatch gap and about the charge port. Still haven't found a trial on the ground or at the outlet. I know there are still a lot more ants inside my car somewhere, probably need to do some highway driving to shake them up and out.

Well today I found 20 or so ants on my car again. They staggered about going from the front grill air intake, over the driver side fender into the pillar gap above the side windows, then in the hatch gap and about the charge port. Still haven't found a trial on the ground or at the outlet. I know there are still a lot more ants inside my car somewhere, probably need to do some highway driving to shake them up and out.
Are you possibly using a new maple syrup car wash and cotton candy sponges?

I had an ant infestation in my house and this product solved the problem. I highly recommend this product. I don't see why it would not work in your car:

Terro Liquid Ant Bait Stations

Just place 2 or 3 bait stations near where you see the ants. The ants will be attracted to the liquid and bring it back to their nest. Once the queen ant eats it, the whole colony dies.

The only challenge is that when you drive, the bait station will move around. So maybe you can tape them down. Or remove them when you drive and put them back when you park.

I have used those Terro ant baits around my house and even in my house, they work great but will attract more ants, hundreds even thousands and you have to leave them be to give them time to get the liquid to the queen. And that could take days or a few weeks. A few years ago I had ants that kept getting into my microwave so I put one of those baits inside it and what a mistake that was. I had tons of ants for weeks. So I certainly don't want to attract even more ants in my car.

I also like the Terro outdoor ant spray, works great to setup a barrier but it is poison so it's not good for closed spaces. You can make your own liquid ant baits using borax and sugar water, which is basically what the Terro liquid ant baits are.

i had that issue but with spiders...thought about torching the area...but instead spayed the heck out of the ones on my car and then the whole area around my car. i then washed my car, and for good measure put 3 sticky traps in trunk and 4 in rear and front floorboards...found 2 in trunk the next day and that was it...

I now spray my shed and car port area for bugs monthly...and have yet to meet them again...

A little about my parking situation I park in a car port and use a mobile charger at 240v 15amp. from my shed will be upgrading my electrical in my house this summer/fall to get 20a out to my shed (Correct wire underground but in wall is CCA from when my unit was built and don't trust it with 20a) and while running that wire will run an extra for an 40 amp (Will run wire rated for 50) to back door for if I need a faster charge...