Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advice from seasoned travelers to Northwest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought we would drive in our 90D Tesla S from El Paso->Seattle and back. Going along California coast and returning through Idaho and Utah.
Going west on I-10, Charging at an RV park in Wilcox, AZ continuing on to Tucson-staying at a hotel using destination charger.
Then going to Cabezon, CA then Manteca-Eureka. Then we want to drive up west coast by Gulala, Mendocino, Ft Bragg to Eureka.-Then up coast to Crescent City, Bandon, Lincoln City, Seaside. Then on to Seattle.

Just worried a little about how roads are on the coastline. Do you use up a lot of electricity on the way? Do you need to charge between SC'ers?

If anyone has taken this drive-any advice?

Thought we would drive in our 90D Tesla S from El Paso->Seattle and back. Going along California coast and returning through Idaho and Utah.
Going west on I-10, Charging at an RV park in Wilcox, AZ continuing on to Tucson-staying at a hotel using destination charger.
Then going to Cabezon, CA then Manteca-Eureka. Then we want to drive up west coast by Gulala, Mendocino, Ft Bragg to Eureka.-Then up coast to Crescent City, Bandon, Lincoln City, Seaside. Then on to Seattle.

Just worried a little about how roads are on the coastline. Do you use up a lot of electricity on the way? Do you need to charge between SC'ers?

If anyone has taken this drive-any advice?

I recently (1st of Jan) did a trip from Seattle to Newport, OR. Went down on I-5 and came back along the coast on 101. Temperatures were between 20F - 35F. I have 75D and averaged around 350Wh/m for the whole trip and had to drive thru few snowstorms. I drove pretty normally (not trying to conserve energy), +10 over speed limit and used full heat and seat heaters etc. I just used the SCers along the way and didn't need to charge anywhere else. It was pretty easy trip.

90D should have no problem at all. You will enjoy this area.

Regularly do Portland -> Seattle -> Portland year round. You shouldn't have any problems getting between SC in the PNW. Since you're going by the coast you also shouldn't have to worry about the passes.

Generally if it's below 50F I give about a 10-15% buffer on what the trip planner tells me but with a 90D you should have plenty of range.

We've made the Tx-Wa trip many times, but only once from Wa to Tx in the Tesla. That was in late September, so weather will be different for you.

Be careful in the Seattle area. The Superchargers are far apart. If you are spending any time at all in Seattle, you might need to find another place to charge to make it up Snoqualmie Pass to get to the Ellensburg SC.

I don't think you will have much problem going up the Pacific coast. Speed limits are very low, and in general they are low for good reason. The roads are windy in places, and you want to look a the scenery, anyway. Don't plan on rushing here, and certainly don't plan on driving at night. Period.

As Superchargers open, more routes become available.

Last edited:
Or find a hotel in the Seattle area with a destination charger. I know many hotels in downtown Portland have them, I'm not sure about Seattle, though I would expect it.

Highway 101 up the coast is pretty level terrain. The highway is built on an old shoreline when the ocean was higher (millions of years ago), so it doesn't change elevation very much and definitely less than going over the Siskyous on I-5 (which tops out a little over 4000 feet).

If you have a CHaDEMO adapter, there are a lot of CHaDEMO chargers in the NW, but I've never needed to use one.

I recently (1st of Jan) did a trip from Seattle to Newport, OR. Went down on I-5 and came back along the coast on 101. Temperatures were between 20F - 35F. I have 75D and averaged around 350Wh/m for the whole trip and had to drive thru few snowstorms. I drove pretty normally (not trying to conserve energy), +10 over speed limit and used full heat and seat heaters etc. I just used the SCers along the way and didn't need to charge anywhere else. It was pretty easy trip.

90D should have no problem at all. You will enjoy this area.
Thank you very much. :)

Or find a hotel in the Seattle area with a destination charger. I know many hotels in downtown Portland have them, I'm not sure about Seattle, though I would expect it.

Highway 101 up the coast is pretty level terrain. The highway is built on an old shoreline when the ocean was higher (millions of years ago), so it doesn't change elevation very much and definitely less than going over the Siskyous on I-5 (which tops out a little over 4000 feet).

If you have a CHaDEMO adapter, there are a lot of CHaDEMO chargers in the NW, but I've never needed to use one.

We've made the Tx-Wa trip many times, but only once from Wa to Tx in the Tesla. That was in late September, so weather will be different for you.

Be careful in the Seattle area. The Superchargers are far apart. If you are spending any time at all in Seattle, you might need to find another place to charge to make it up Snoqualmie Pass to get to the Ellensburg SC.

I don't think you will have much problem going up the Pacific coast. Speed limits are very low, and in general they are low for good reason. The roads are windy in places, and you want to look a the scenery, anyway. Don't plan on rushing here, and certainly don't plan on driving at night. Period.

As Superchargers open, more routes become available.
Thank you very much. Staying at Marriott Waterfront in Seattle which has a destination charger.. :)

Reactions: BerTX
I have been to NW twice in my S85.

I have not taken the exact route you describe, but it does sound exciting.

Maybe visit and hike a bit in Muir Woods on your way North?

You should have no problem with range in a 90D, just be aware that going up extreme mountains eat up a lot of range.
Easy does it on the speed.
Space Needle and Chihuly Museum (right next door) are not to be missed in Seattle.

If you are a hearty soul, and have enough time, be sure to check out parts of Vancouver and Victoria on Vancouver Island.
There are multiple ports that will ferry you and your car over to Vancouver Island, and maybe visit Buchart Gardens.
Be sure to bring your passport(s) if you add those Canadian portions to your travel itinerary.

For your return trip Salt Lake City has some very cool museums.
And Southern Utah is full of natural treasures and wonders.
Bryce Canyon, both parts of Zion National Park, Arches, Canyonland, Monument Valley.
Might want to call ahead for any and all of the Parks: for instance I believe the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (best views) is closed in Winter, reopens for the Season May 15.

We went from ABQ through Utah via Price and up to Idaho on on to Portland in a 70D, you should have no trouble in a 90D.

But do be careful on Utah 15 going thru SLC. The fast lane has double line and exits. The lane markings can confuse the AP as the lane lines,beside being double, vary in spacing. We were glad to be using AP because you can use all the extra eyes plus the radar for the second car in front of you. It saved us at least once on that stretch. Otherwise a beautiful drive.

cjesurun,

Naturally we a little biased here by saying...since you're considering a trek up to Seattle, why not take it a little further and visit Vancouver? Your US currency value to the Canadian dollar is very favourable (1 USD was around 1.39 CAD)

I recently drove to the Fremont factory along the beautiful Oregon coast US101, and took I5 on the return, and with navigation and SCs along the way...it was a natural rest break while re-energizing. Had good weather, cold weather, snow etc...your car will let you know when to ease off the pedal.

Hope you have the opportunity to visit Canada. www.theloden.com/ev-charging/

I think you can go up all the way up the Oregon coast now. Supercharge in Astoria, top NW corner of Oregon, go over the bridge over the mouth of the Columbia River, continue on up the Washington coast to Aberdeen. Have the freshest cleanest local Oysters in South Bend. But don't eat too much! About 10 miles south of Aberdeen, stop in Artic at Clark's Restaurant. Excellent hamburgers and share the fries! But the hard ice cream milkshakes are the best! Aberdeen is your next Supercharger. Across the street just past the Les Schwab Tire is Breakwater Seafoods. Talk about fresh! Behind the counter is a big fish cleaning table. You will have no trouble getting to the Seattle Marriott from there. I make the Seattle run all the time. If by chance you're still hungry, about half way between McCleary and Olympia, on the right is an award winning BBQ place that does on site real wood smoking.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: evp and mblakele
I think you can go up all the way up the Oregon coast now. Supercharge in Astoria, top NW corner of Oregon, go over the bridge over the mouth of the Columbia River, continue on up the Washington coast to Aberdeen. Have the freshest cleanest local Oysters in South Bend. But don't eat too much! About 10 miles south of Aberdeen, stop in Artic at Clark's Restaurant. Excellent hamburgers and share the fries! But the hard ice cream milkshakes are the best! Aberdeen is your next Supercharger. Across the street just past the Les Schwab Tire is Breakwater Seafoods. Talk about fresh! Behind the counter is a big fish cleaning table. You will have no trouble getting to the Seattle Marriott from there. I make the Seattle run all the time. If by chance you're still hungry, about half way between McCleary and Olympia, on the right is an award winning BBQ place that does on site real wood smoking.

Thank you for the info;-)