Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any EV Tax Credit Gurus or Accountants?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I belie
No you're still incorrect / wrong. See my response above where I quoted your post. 👆

ONLY the base 5-seater X vehicle at $79,990 qualifies. ADDING ANYTHING with make it ineligible for the credit.

Same goes for inventory discounts.... Example: Vehicle was $82,500 discounted to $79,500 would NOT qualify because the original MSRP on the sticker exceeds the $80k cap.

No you're still incorrect / wrong. See my response above where I quoted your post. 👆

ONLY the base 5-seater X vehicle at $79,990 qualifies. ADDING ANYTHING with make it ineligible for the credit.

Same goes for inventory discounts.... Example: Vehicle was $82,500 discounted to $79,500 would NOT qualify because the original MSRP on the sticker exceeds the $80k cap.
I believe you may be wrong on this as it clearly states that base price it what matters. Any add on like color, seats or software does not alter the federal credit. If that was the case none of the X will be eligible because the add-ons like color or white seats or yoke will push the value above 80K. I will rest my case and will not continue this argument any further. Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I belie

I believe you may be wrong on this as it clearly states that base price it what matters. Any add on like color, seats or software does not alter the federal credit. If that was the case none of the X will be eligible because the add-ons like color or white seats or yoke will push the value above 80K. I will rest my case and will not continue this argument any further. Thank you.
No posting incorrect information and walking away helps nobody... take it from those who have already purchased and claimed the credit first hand.

Direct from the IRS below. đź‘€ That's the reason why there are tons of threads here on the "Base" or "$80k" Model X as it was kinda a big deal.

Again.... Currently you can have a Stealth Gray Model X 5-Seater with Black interior and the round wheel @ $79,990 and qualify if you meet the income requirements. If you want to add extras like color, wheels, yoke then you would be excluded.

For many buyers its a non-issue based on income alone, but for everyone else we took advantage late last year when even Ultra Red was included at no cost and in early Sept. in my case where Tesla was offering an additional $1k Loyalty Cash + 3-months of FSD included.

1707772611108.png

Any add on like color, seats or software does not alter the federal credit.
You are mistaken. Tesla very helpfully makes it very clear if the car qualifies for the tax credit. Go to Tesla.com and configure one with no options. It qualifies.
IMG_7104.jpeg

Make a single change of a white interior, and it disappears.
IMG_7105.jpeg

The probable savings went from $68,590 to $78,090, a steep price for a white interior if your income allows you to get the tax credit. The credit also disappears with a change of exterior colors, seating configuration and wheels.

You are right about the software. The one thing you can add is EAP or FSD and it does not disqualify the tax credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJturtlePower
You are mistaken. Tesla very helpfully makes it very clear if the car qualifies for the tax credit. Go to Tesla.com and configure one with no options. It qualifies.
View attachment 1017775

Make a single change of a white interior, and it disappears.
View attachment 1017777
The probable savings went from $68,590 to $78,090, a steep price for a white interior if your income allows you to get the tax credit. The credit also disappears with a change of exterior colors, seating configuration and wheels.

You are right about the software. The one thing you can add is EAP or FSD and it does not disqualify the tax credit.
Yes! That is absolutely right. I have been saying that color and seat options do not matter or does it? Thanks for clarifying. This means that many of the X do not qualify for 7500 tax credit. Bummer!

Reactions: Bigriver
Go for it! EV credit is taken out at POS. You wont qualify if you make more than 300k PA Married filing jointly, 250 K if head of the household and 150 K i you are filing single or something like that which is not a problem for most folks.