TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any experience with this spoiler?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by scottm, Jul 3, 2016.

1. scottm

scottm Active Member

2. bradjc

bradjc Member

I bought this one: Rear Trunk Lid Spoiler Carbon Fiber Tail Lip Wing Kit Fit for Tesla Model S 2014

Only arrived today and I don't pick up my MS for another couple of weeks so can't tell you too much about fit. I was impressed with the quality and was better than I expected to be honest. Wasn't sure how great these aftermarket knock offs would be, but actually was impressed. Even the shipping block of foam it came in was excellent, was wondering how it would arrive. I can post some photos if you like, but all seems good.

3. neilrlsmith

neilrlsmith Member

I am in the market for one of these but there are so many from the States and China (I'm in the UK). Reading around it seems that some are glossy (old spoiler and preferred but that's subjective) and matte (the current spoiler). I have then read that some are solid and some are hollow. The hollow ones are allegedly dangerous and can come off (said a Tesla dealer!). Some come with 3M tape attached and some have no adhesive at all.

Whats yours like and how easy was it to fit (did you do it yourself?)n and has it since come off!!

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

I've decided I want a pop-up style wing, like what Hot Wheels put on their Model S model.
    And I want it to pop up when I'm excited to be driving, regardless of the speed. Which means I'd pretty much have a fixed wing.
    IMG_20160718_114155.jpg

5. exborg

exborg Member

I bought a glossy one of these from a Canadian reseller a year ago, who presumably got it from China, and have been very happy with it. Came with the 3M tape and is rock solid.

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I have the glossy one from Amazon, looks to be the same mold, also in high-gloss CF. The mold must have been taken from some of the early spoilers, because it's so good, it has the same exact gaps on both ends that the factory ones do.

I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

7. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Do you have a link to yours? or pics?

8. supratachophobia

• Like x 1
  9. 1tsla

1tsla Member

10. scottm

scottm Active Member

Get gloss, and if you don't like it 600 grit sandpaper makes it matte.

Or vise versa, get matte and if you don't like that clear coat makes it gloss.

• Like x 1
  11. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Nope, but I just ordered the $200 one for my wife's new 90D - will let you know.

12. supratachophobia

Try to bribe the SC to help you put it on. They have a template. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy for two hours trying to get it to line up right. And don't worry about he small gap on the ends, that's actually how the factory one's mount. This knock-off is so good, they copied the flaws too.