Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hope of blind spot cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you make a right turn, by first signaling of course, in our Honda pilot, the screen shows a blindspot camera. For whatever reason it's only for right turns. Any word of this feature coming to the tesla world? Iirc the cameras are already on both side mirrors yes?

This would get rid of the need for after market side mirror replacement. I was shocked at the low visibility of the mirrors. Considering replacing the mirrors but it seems pretty costly.

The cameras are on the side of the car under the mirrors (same place as the side blinkers).

As far as I know there’s no technical reason they couldn’t show it. They already record them for sentry mode. I suppose it’s possible there’s bandwidth issues since the camera are used for autopilot when driving but that’s just a guess.

This absolutely can be a feature as getting a video feed cost very little of the CPU's power. I'd love to see the feed when I'm parking also.

Though it seems like their first priority is FSD. Maybe after the release of FSD we can see more of these type of features

Reactions: bigroo42
I am coming to Tesla from a Mazda 6. The Mazda has the blind spot indicator built into side mirrors. I was scared the lack of this feature would be a problem. It's not. A properly adjusted mirror is covering the blind spot well. That combined with the car's blind spot warning on screen and audio should cover all cases. A person would have to do a very unsafe lane change to hit another car.

• Helpful
Reactions: ngogas and PoitNarf
I’ve seen that Honda feature, and I did like it. Never seen it done that way on any other brand. Among other things, it makes drivers signal in advance. I suspect that if Tesla provided, owners would be widely split on whether they like their screen being automatically taken over.

I concur that Tesla offers several levels of blind spot protection, but also differently from others. Most auto makers use light signal in mirror.

Could Tesla use the Honda approach? Yes. Will they? I’d say no way. They are all in on using their simulated display and evolving more driver functions into AP. If you have FSD or EAP, you can just let car do lane changes. If you trust... I still look.

When you make a right turn, by first signaling of course, in our Honda pilot, the screen shows a blindspot camera. For whatever reason it's only for right turns. Any word of this feature coming to the tesla world? Iirc the cameras are already on both side mirrors yes?

This would get rid of the need for after market side mirror replacement. I was shocked at the low visibility of the mirrors. Considering replacing the mirrors but it seems pretty costly.
My wife has a 2017 Pilot and I absolutely LOVE this feature in her car. I wish they also used it for when you put the left blinker on. I also like how it superimposes those car length markers in the video. (sucks that they removed this feature in the 2019/2020 Pilot).

No reason it couldn't use the side or ever rear camera to do this in the Tesla.

Maybe if enough of us make the request to Tesla...