Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Camera Blind Spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got clipped by a pickup truck pulling a trailer. The trailing edge of the trailer kissed my right front wheel well garnish and pulled it off.

I was driving with FSD and took control just as it was about to hit. FSD or collision avoidance did not sound any sort of alarm. FSD may even have zigged a little to the right as it was making a left turn making the problem worse.

Later looking at the dashcam video of me looking at the damage it seemed that there was a small slice between where the right side camera saw me and there the front camera saw me.. Could there be a slight camera blind spot sort of where the trailing edge of the front right wheel arch is? If so, that would explain the lack of concern by the car for the edge of the trailer about to hit the wheel arch.

Can't speak to the blindspot question - sounds like you answered that yourself.

Was this FSD or FSDb? What version? I know for a fact that FSDb will shift within the lane and even cross a double-yellow (traffic permitting) when a vehicle encroaches on your lane. I thought FSD did this as well but I cannot speak to that.

Was FSDb 11.4.4.

I had Tesla Mobile Service install a new wheel arch garnish today and asked him about the blind spot. He claimed that there was no blind spot and that the incident was more likely caused by FSDb getting confused by the truck pulling trailer being where it was not supposed to be. I still think that my saved dashcam did not track my 360 degrees moving to inspect the damage.