TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any issues tinting the roof of the Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Speedr117, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Has anyone tinted their roof? If so, were there any issues with it after it was done (IE cracking because it somehow traps the heat in the glass, excess glare, etc.)?

Thanks!

2. emb228

emb228 Member

No issue for me! I had commercial ceramic tint put on it. No cracking and no excess glare. I had a friend who is a window tint installer do it for free since he wanted to see what it would look like with commercial tint. It has brought down the overall temp of the car but not by a crazy amount since I already had all other windows tinted. Unless you live in Arizona, or somewhere that is ungodly hot, I don't know if its worth it - especially if someone is charging over $500 since its such a big piece of tint.

3. jjs1

jjs1 Member

I got my roof done for $250 with 3M ceramic. No issues thus far. The biggest difference is when I drive in the afternoon, I can no longer feel the sun's heat on my head. It's not going to cool your cabin that much - but a good quality tint can deflect some IR heat and UV rays.

4. Lazyguy71

Lazyguy71 Member

Where you get the 3M ceramic? Is that custom fit?

5. jjs1

jjs1 Member

My tint shop offered it

6. Lazyguy71

Lazyguy71 Member

Is that custom fit? Any info about pricing? I won't to tint the sun roof to reduce the heat.

7. jjs1

jjs1 Member

I didn't DIY mine. I went to a tint shop and they custom cut and installed.

8. Lazyguy71

Lazyguy71 Member

OK. Thanks!