Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one tried to re-format USB in 2020.16.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you test the sentry playback to see if it will play the final 20-30 seconds of a recorded clip. This has been a bug since they first released the sentry player. You'll need to let the sentry record a full clip for several minutes and then try to play it. Should record 10:49 but playback jumps back to the start at about 10:15. I'm wondering is the formatting was wrong from the computer and if Tesla reformatting fixed it.

I'm still on 12.11.1

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have tried every permutation on my P3D+ with Sentry on/off, reboot MCU, etc and still cannot get USB format button to go from grey to blue.
Someone said online that if there is a valid filesystem, you can't re-format it again in the Tesla. I would suggest you remove the storage unit, take it to your Mac, and delete the current partition, and then re-insert it back in. You should then see the prompt to format it.

Can you test the sentry playback to see if it will play the final 20-30 seconds of a recorded clip. This has been a bug since they first released the sentry player. You'll need to let the sentry record a full clip for several minutes and then try to play it. Should record 10:49 but playback jumps back to the start at about 10:15. I'm wondering is the formatting was wrong from the computer and if Tesla reformatting fixed it.

I'm still on 12.11.1

Wait, I thought that was just me. I've had situations where the last bit of the video is missing or it loops back to the top just before the incident you marked to record.,

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Wait, I thought that was just me. I've had situations where the last bit of the video is missing or it loops back to the top just before the incident you marked to record.,

If you pull the drive and examine in a computer the final few seconds clip is recorded but it doesn't play in Sentry player.

I wish there was a way to report this to Tesla that they would see it and fix it.

One thing I do want to try is to reformat a USB drive using the Tesla format tool and see if they did something different now to make it work.

I updated on Tuesday to 16.2.1 but this still has the playback problem with FAT32 format in a computer.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
Someone said online that if there is a valid filesystem, you can't re-format it again in the Tesla. I would suggest you remove the storage unit, take it to your Mac, and delete the current partition, and then re-insert it back in. You should then see the prompt to format it.

I tried that and it is still grayed out. I unallocated the partitions on the thumb drive. I will try to activate a full partition but don't format it and see if that works. This also doesn't work.

I tested different formats and discovered if I format the thumb drive to exfat in the computer it lights up the Tesla Format.
Note- in the past we were instructed to format the drives to FAT32 and that no longer works. Format the drive in your computer to exFat and the Tesla will recognize it for Sentry recordings.

Still cuts off the final 20-30 seconds of all clips with exFAT too.

Seems like an issue with the playback "buffer" where the buffer cuts off the tail end of the file.

At least it looks like if you access the actual file the video is there.

This is he reason I wait a good minute or two before pressing the Save Video button as the tail end of the video seems to be not reliable for whatever reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I'm not sure it was necessary but I completely wiped the thumb drive, deleting the volume in Windows Computer Management app/ Storage/disk manager. I then activated the volume and finally reformatted with exFAT. Showed up right away on the Tesla Sentry screen under Car security settings. Hope this may help.

Once you use Tesla format the Teslacam folder etc will be installed.

Funny thing happened to me and my wife today......I took her to a friend and while driving I noticed that the Sentry icon was gone as was the Dash Cam icon

So when I got home, I turned the car off and took out
the PureTesla thumb drive with Sandisc 256gb card.....I then turned the car back on and did a two wheel reboot.....when it finished, I re-inserted the drive and pressed the "format USB"......it worked in about 5 seconds....It did delete previous Dash Cam and Sentry recordings but it worked.....I will go to San Diego tomorrow and see what it does....

BTW: I did not have a "greyed-out" button....I have 2020.20.1

Last edited: