Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Possible Model Y Update Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should also keep an eye out for the new center console, likely coming within a few months.

Anybody think the new console will be something we could pay for when it's released? I'm assuming the dimensions would be the same, right? If so, I would gladly pay $500 for the new console and the USB port in the glovebox.

I would also gladly pay for air suspension assuming that comes out at some point. It should be a pretty simple install since Sandy Munro already pointed out that the frame is set up for it. Assuming it comes out as on option any guesses as to what it could cost to put on an older Model Y? $2000?

EC8CBA20-32D7-4ADA-815F-57A1C08C98ED.jpeg
Picked up my Y yesterday. VIN 64XXX

Double pane in the front
Door button
986E6AF8-33A7-45C4-9BBB-0BFEC5AE1A80.jpeg

Anybody think the new console will be something we could pay for when it's released? I'm assuming the dimensions would be the same, right? If so, I would gladly pay $500 for the new console and the USB port in the glovebox.

I would also gladly pay for air suspension assuming that comes out at some point. It should be a pretty simple install since Sandy Munro already pointed out that the frame is set up for it. Assuming it comes out as on option any guesses as to what it could cost to put on an older Model Y? $2000?
I would love air suspension just for the fact that you could change the ride heigh like in the model X. Does anybody know what the price to upgrade to air suspension on the model X has been?

Picked up our VIN# 66xxx. Asked the SA at the shop whether it had the upgrades and he was not sure. I did find double paned glass upfront and the updated door release buttons. Given that the SA did not know about the upgrades, I doubt there will be retroactive updates?

Vehicle noise : I do hear some wind noise, but the tire noise was not too much compared to my test vehicle. The tire noise is definitely less than my volt, where I was running Bridgestone Potenzas 980AS which were excellent with initial torque and in wet, but not when it came to noise.

Heatpump : The heatpump still seems to be more noisy than other vehicles. FWIW, my Volt and Leaf both seemed to be quieter when it came to the climate control. Anyone knows how to check if the heatpump is upgraded ?

Tires : The drive feel seems diminished compared to my Volt. It might be more of getting used to the new vehicle than the tires. But I would love advice on tires. I usually run Blizzaks in winter and loved them, having used my volt as a snow plow and on sheer ice - but I am not getting a good read on winters for the Y. Any thoughts on winters or alternately thoughts on the best all year tires for PNW?

• Informative
Reactions: sleepies
They aren’t double pane windows, they are laminated. Double pane is like the windows in your home that has a space—pocket of air that acts as an insulator and sometimes contains a gas as well—in between two pieces of glass. Double pane windows in a vehicle are virtually rare, but have been done in the past. Laminated glass is essentially a safer glass in your car, and the windshield is a perfect example. When the windshield “breaks” it doesn’t shatter or smash like tempered glass does. It “peels” due to the fact that the outer and inner glass is sandwiched and bonded with a piece of plastic between them. It’s also a great insulator of noise, and makes it very hard to break into your vehicle too. The folks who have the previous version of glass in your side windows have a tempered glass, which shatters into tiny pieces when it’s broken. So there’s a lesson on the proper naming for the new windows in the Model Y. AND, just so you know, from the pictures I’ve seen in other threads, the back windows are still tempered glass, and NOT laminated......from what it looks in the pictures I’ve seen. I used to work in a glass manufacturing plant, so I know a couple few things about glass, lol. We also made tempered and laminated glass, as well as the flat glass in home windows.

Been debating on delaying my order also... I really want to get one with hepa, usb glovebox, and new center console... Air suspension would be nice, but I can live without it. I had air suspension on my S and barely used it. The auto settings were very useful tho. But the Y is high enough, so height would not be an issue.

Been debating on delaying my order also... I really want to get one with hepa, usb glovebox, and new center console... Air suspension would be nice, but I can live without it. I had air suspension on my S and barely used it. The auto settings were very useful tho. But the Y is high enough, so height would not be an issue.
I have heard New center console, heated steering wheel, air suspension, HEPA filter w/Bioweapon defense mode and more are coming fairly soon. I would love all of those options.

Picked up my DEVIL'S CHILD (yes thats what I named my Y) a few minutes .. 3 minor issues 1) Charge port not aligned to body when closed 2) The rear passenger sets don't align by about 1/4 in (I can skip this if not being very picky). 3) 2 dings/depressions about 1/2 in on the trim behind the passenger seat. I opened a ticket on the app...

doubled paned windows on driver and passenger side...the door buttons are now properly marked...VIN 666XX Blue metallic.

Reactions: alloverx
When you click on your "manage order" page, do you see a timeframe listed anywhere on the page? I ordered exactly the same car as you with the exception of Gemini wheels, I'm taking delivery in Atlanta (so presumably no real difference to Nashville in delivery time), and I've been waiting over six weeks with absolutely no updates. And I don't see a timeframe listed on my page.

My advisor has basically said that she won't have any ideas about timeframes until I'm assigned a VIN. I hope I don't have to wait until mid December to get my damn car. Three months is ridiculous.
I've been waiting since 9/19/2019. Waited 26 months on Model 3. Its worth it!

They aren’t double pane windows, they are laminated. Double pane is like the windows in your home that has a space—pocket of air that acts as an insulator and sometimes contains a gas as well—in between two pieces of glass. Double pane windows in a vehicle are virtually rare, but have been done in the past. Laminated glass is essentially a safer glass in your car, and the windshield is a perfect example. When the windshield “breaks” it doesn’t shatter or smash like tempered glass does. It “peels” due to the fact that the outer and inner glass is sandwiched and bonded with a piece of plastic between them. It’s also a great insulator of noise, and makes it very hard to break into your vehicle too. The folks who have the previous version of glass in your side windows have a tempered glass, which shatters into tiny pieces when it’s broken. So there’s a lesson on the proper naming for the new windows in the Model Y. AND, just so you know, from the pictures I’ve seen in other threads, the back windows are still tempered glass, and NOT laminated......from what it looks in the pictures I’ve seen. I used to work in a glass manufacturing plant, so I know a couple few things about glass, lol. We also made tempered and laminated glass, as well as the flat glass in home windows.

This is very educational - thanks for posting. It is indeed laminated rather than double pane. In fact its super easy to see the "sandwich". The rear is indeed just tempered glass - would have been great to have them all around from what you describe as the benefits.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove