Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about getting a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I currently have a Mercedes C class and thinking to upgrade to a Model Y.

Never had an electric car before.

We are a family of 4 with two kids under 10.

Welcome your thoughts on how you’ve felt with a Model Y and points you wish you knew before you bought one!

Anything I should be looking out for when buying? Thinking to get a used one rather than new.

Thanks!
I just picked up my '24 MYLR less than a month ago. First time EV owner as well.

A few first-impressions I want to mention:
  • My previous car was a 2021 Honda Passport (A slightly smaller Honda Pilot), a Mid-sized SUV. The Model Y is also labeled to be a "Mid-Size" SUV, but it drives and feels much more like a lifted sedan. Its much more agile and nimble feeling compared to the Honda.
    If you're coming from a C class, I think you won't feel THAT much of a difference (in a good way) in day-to-day driving! Super fun.
    Basically a C class with 2x the space haha! Unless you have a C63 or something...
  • My perception on charging was way off (again, in a good way). I used to be one of those guys that said "ugh, you got to wait HOW long to charge? I can fill up my whole tank in <5 mins.". Honestly, it's not that bad - assuming you have a reliable charging situation at home and/or at work.
    The amount of times I just plug in at home (in an apartment btw - I have L2 chargers by the front office) and by the time I hangout with the dog, wash up, and make dinner... it's already halfway done with the charge (assuming im going from 20% -> 80%). I also have free charging at work, so my commute is "free". It's a game changer.
  • Cameras.... They're nice. Having a built in dash cam, as well as sentry mode for public parking is a very nice piece of mind to have.
However, not everything is perfect... Some thing's I wish I knew before/things to look out for:
  • Depending on the year you're looking at/trim, the ride can be a bit harsh for some. My friend has a '21 MYP and that thing was a blast to drive... except for my SO. She said it's too bumpy of a ride. The '24 MYLR I have is significantly better in suspension.
  • Although the car is jam-packed with technology, it can be a pain sometimes to use them while driving. I've had moments where Spotify would intermittently stop, AC isn't blasting, and a random phone call came in - all at once.
    Having to address them one by one on that big tablet isn't the most safest thing to do... So yeah.
  • Learning all the terms and keywords surrounding charging. kWh, Amps, volts. It's not that hard to start understanding these terms whenever you have the car in hand (visually learning through the app), but man.. it was a bit intimidating for me in the beginning.
This is just my 2 cents. I'm still a new owner, so my ownership experience might be different in another year from now. But so far, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons! Don't regret the purchase one bit.

It depends on what year of C-Class. Therefore can't say the Y would be worse in terms of NVH. If you can wait, there is the refreshed version coming soon. You can look up Juniper. To get an idea of the potential improvements, you can check out the Model 3 Highland.