Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Possible Model Y Update Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Oct 23 and received Nov 15. My VIN was 703XX I believe.

I have the auto dimming lights (pretty sure... only have 90kms under the belt and no night driving yet... but I can see a rim around the mirrors)
I have the double pane glass
I do NOT have a center console update
I do NOT have the USB secured in the glove compartment
I do NOT have the metallic wheel controls on the steering wheel

I semi contemplated on complaining since I specifically asked if these were in the model I was going to be delivered. Of course they could not specifically tell me quickly (I think when they told me my vehicle was here it was like 4 days away approx Nov 11....LOL)

Would I reject the car based off not having these things? I didn't... but I guess at that time I didn't know how close it was. I knew it was close... thought it was going to be months... not like days. That said, I bet if you ordered now or rejected it now, you would not get another until after the new years.

Just a thought..... (these things are pretty minor... but I would probably wait .... lol)

I will say.... IMO.... the build quality looked pretty good.... panel gaps were almost non-existent....

I think i could point out maybe 4 or 5 small trim issues....rear seats were level and worked properly.... there is no vibrating sounds that I can hear yet..... Id say at least an 8 out of 10

thanks! Congrats on the car!!

There seems to be a lot of randomness. I was surprised with laminated windows on 627xx but now that there is talk about metal scrollers I’m not 100% sure but think they are metallic too as far back in 627xx, at least feels like it. But see no USB port in glovebox as far as I’ve found.

Attachments

• ADCB2664-2B1E-4B38-85A8-BAB5D48973D5.jpeg
    ADCB2664-2B1E-4B38-85A8-BAB5D48973D5.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 110
Picked up my Y yesterday for my wife, I have an X , the Y was immaculate. Could find no flaws, had laminated windows but no other upgrades. Vin 73xx build date 11/9. NJ dealer, quick process no more than 5 min of paperwork. 4 signatures. Definite improvement since I bought my X two years ago

Attachments

• EA8A41D6-C9DA-4F62-8DC3-4A9E89B66610.jpeg
    EA8A41D6-C9DA-4F62-8DC3-4A9E89B66610.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 97
Had mine delivered today. VIN 754XX, build date 11/11. Received the laminated windows and auto dimming mirrors but no USB port in the glove box and no metal wheel controller on the steering wheel. Was a little disappointed because I think I just missed the upgrades but still love my car so far.

You go the mirrors though, I picked mine up on Saturday and only got the glass :/

Odered MY 10/27. Received VIN 077xxx 11/17! Delivery scheduled 12/02! I don't care whether I have all the latest and greatest update, I'm finally getting a TESLA!

License plate suggestion if you are a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan. Starman had a Don't Panic sticker on the Roadster and a towel in the glove box. So, EV 42. It's available in VA, but husband nixed the idea.

Plus I think it would be cool to rename the glove box, as , "Towel Storage" in the Owners' Manual.

Odered MY 10/27. Received VIN 077xxx 11/17! Delivery scheduled 12/02! I don't care whether I have all the latest and greatest update, I'm finally getting a TESLA!

License plate suggestion if you are a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan. Starman had a Don't Panic sticker on the Roadster and a towel in the glove box. So, EV 42. It's available in VA, but husband nixed the idea.

Plus I think it would be cool to rename the glove box, as , "Towel Storage" in the Owners' Manual.

Just off the top of my head, I thought of (and these could also be variations on the names for your car itself):
FROOD, TRILIAN, ZAPHOD, RTHR DNT, or HRT GOLD

(Those assume that VA allows 7 characters. I lived in Virginia for a decade, but I've been gone even longer, so I don't recall, lol.)

Just off the top of my head, I thought of (and these could also be variations on the names for your car itself):

(Those assume that VA allows 7 characters. I lived in Virginia for a decade, but I've been gone even longer, so I don't recall, lol.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love any H2G2 reference, but this is "our" car so we have to agree. All the words that start with EV, like EVRGRN are taken. My other car is PAX, but only Latin scholars and Priests know it translates to peace or peace be with you. Even PAX 2U is taken.
HRTGOLD is my new favorite!

@ev_aspirant you truly are one hoopy frood who always knows where his/her towel is! Now that you've already done 6 impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways?

Last edited:
Reactions: vi9cki
Thanks for the suggestions. I would love any H2G2 reference, but this is "our" car so we have to agree. All the words that start with EV, like EVRGRN are taken. My other car is PAX, but only Latin scholars and Priests know it translates to peace or peace be with you. Even PAX 2U is taken.
HRTGOLD is my new favorite!

@vi9cki @ev_aspirant how about PREFECT, MARVIN, MAGTHEA (Magrathea is too long), or DEEPTHT? Too bad SLARTIBARTFAST is far too long!

That's different though than the laminated glass Tesla is using. Looking at the photos available of the new glass, the middle material is far thicker--and probably a different material--than the vinyl used in home laminated glass. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that Tesla would have wanted to increase both the thermal and acoustic insulation properties of the window, and sourced the middle laminate accordingly. Also, I think it's premature to assume the laminated glass won't shatter like regular glass. It all depends on what Tesla wanted to do with this glass and the properties of the middle laminate. Without either testing the glass or some kind of word from Tesla, we just don't know the "shatter" qualities of the glass.

Now don't go incorrectly scaring people.

You're thinking of the laminated glass that is bonded to the car like the front windshield. The door windows are not glued to the car. Once you break the door window glass, you will just push the shattered window into the car, or out of the car, depending on where you are, and it will fold out of the way like cardboard.

So looks like I was right about the impact behavior of the Tesla front door laminated glass!

To quote myself:
This means that someone trying to break your window to get in will have a hard time removing it since it doesn't shatter into small pieces like tempered glass. But this also means that if you need to get out of the car quickly through the window during an emergency, you won't be able to.
I'm all for thermal/acoustic insulation, but if Tesla removed the shatter property, it would be a huge safety risk.
I just assumed it was the same glass as in the Cybertruck prototype, as the way it shattered (or not) was the same as home laminated glass.

Anyone else afraid of being stuck inside the Y not being able to break out of the side glass? :eek:
You can see in the video at the very end, when the guy stepped on it, it was not easy at all to fold it out of the way "like cardboard"

Furthermore, many people put window tint on their side windows, which is essentially adding another layer of "laminate" which would make it even more difficult to break. Regular tempered glass + window tint already makes normal side windows act somewhat like laminated windows in the sense it makes it shatter-resistant and stay intact.

Last edited:
I think the trick would be to make a series of impacts along the bottom of the glass. Then I would think it would be pretty easy to push at the top of the window to fold it out. You'd have a lot more leverage than the test in the video. This is an advantage of the frameless window design. With a framed window, there would be no way to get the window out short of cutting the glass at the bottom. At least that's what I found on several rescue oriented websites. There are a number of tools made to do just this. I also found it interesting that apparently it wasn't really an option for Tesla to switch to laminated glass; they basically had to. New federal requirements for ejection safety are driving car makers to laminated glass. about a third of all new cars already have it, and pretty soon they all will.

Why would you ever need to break your windows anyways? Just roll the window down instead. Mythbusters tested it a long time ago. Even in gasoline cars, if they crash into the power windows still work for like a minute or two so you'd have plenty of time to roll them down to get out.