Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason to connect via Wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s ‘always’ been said that cars get releases ‘earlier’ on wifi, but I don’t know if that’s been scientifically tested or not, and how much evidence we’d have to pile up to prove it. You’d think so, since on wifi it’s your dime and not Tesla’s. :D

In general, if you have a good connection and don’t care about getting the latest release a little earlier (if that’s even so), I’d say forget it.

You might want to research what’s up theoretically, if you care, like do you have video servers (Plex, etc.) on your wifi? Is it weak in the garage? Is it easy to set up a guest network that only goes to the Internet? But there have been cases where people spent a lot of time and money to get the wifi to work and it may not be worth it. As long as it can talk reliably, that’s all that really matters. If you can ignore the unsolved problem (some can’t!), then let it go...

I am having trouble getting my Wifi to connect. But, before I spend more time troubleshooting that, is there any reason I should connect via Wifi if my LTE connection is pretty solid?

YES -- big time. See this thread: Update 2018.12 -- So where's the Navigation Update?

Tesla REFUSES to issue Maps OR Navigation updates (which are separate from the 2018.X.Y firmware releases issued every 2-4 weeks -- these are once every year or two and are major releases) to people over LTE. You MUST have WiFi because it's 6GB download and they're too broke to pay because our cars were only $100k or so.

If you have a home, you should try a MESH WiFi network to connect in 2.4 GHz mode, or 5.0 GHz model if you have a car built after March 2018 with MCU2. if they doesn't work, try rebooting your car. If that doesn't work call support and then the service center. Your passenger side view mirror has the WiFi antenna in it...

In my case, I bought a ZTE Mobley (company banned from USA by Trump a day after I bought it!) from AT&T and used it to creat e permanent WiFi for $10 a month :) Unlimited...

YES -- big time. See this thread: Update 2018.12 -- So where's the Navigation Update?

Tesla REFUSES to issue Maps OR Navigation updates (which are separate from the 2018.X.Y firmware releases issued every 2-4 weeks -- these are once every year or two and are major releases) to people over LTE. You MUST have WiFi because it's 6GB download and they're too broke to pay because our cars were only $100k or so.

If you have a home, you should try a MESH WiFi network to connect in 2.4 GHz mode, or 5.0 GHz model if you have a car built after March 2018 with MCU2. if they doesn't work, try rebooting your car. If that doesn't work call support and then the service center. Your passenger side view mirror has the WiFi antenna in it...

In my case, I bought a ZTE Mobley (company banned from USA by Trump a day after I bought it!) from AT&T and used it to creat e permanent WiFi for $10 a month :) Unlimited...
Yep, I did forget about the maps! You do need it for that. A hotspot may be a good investment for when there is a special case, like the maps download. I really don’t know what they expect everyone to do, as some people never have wifi and I doubt everyone reads TMC or is going to take these steps... Just use the old maps?

And, didn’t you hear, ZTE is nice now, wait 24 hours, and they are cool.... :D

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Thanks. I will take a look at the issue some more. I seem to have good signal strength, 3 to 4 out 4 bars on the Tesla strength indicator, and have no problems watching movies in the car with my iPad or phone. But for some reason it refuses to connect. It just spin for 30 seconds or so and says connection failed.

We have Cat 6 wired connections throughout the house, so maybe I will just install a dedicated Access point in the bedroom next to the garage and give it an ID like "Tesla4Me".

I am not sure I buy the “need WiFi for updates” argument. I have received multiple software updates while traveling away from WiFi. In fact I got the Maps update while driving, during the day, over 250 miles from home. Stopped for lunch on a 700 mile drive, came back to an entire new navigation system. Go figure! (Which is very nice btw)

I am not sure I buy the “need WiFi for updates” argument. I have received multiple software updates while traveling away from WiFi. In fact I got the Maps update while driving, during the day, over 250 miles from home. Stopped for lunch on a 700 mile drive, came back to an entire new navigation system. Go figure! (Which is very nice btw)
Yes you can get firmware updates download while driving. No one is saying otherwise, just that they come sooner on wi-fi. Maps are different. The maps weren’t downloaded while you were driving, that’s probably just when it finished processing.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA