Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recent 8.16KW solar panel installs in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Ordered an 8.16KW system back in August. Finally have install date for 12/26. During the design phase, the system was designed with a single SolarEdge 7.6KW inverter and submitted the initial permit application as such, 10/9 and it was rejected 10/28. At the time, my project advisor told me that LADBS had a issue with the “letter” from SolarEdge regarding the inverter. I am assuming they weren’t happy with the specs on the data sheet provided with the plans? Anyways, my advisor told me they would resubmit, 12/11 and the permit was issued same day. However I didn’t notice until yesterday that the model number changed and it indicates a Delta inverter will be installed now, M8-TL-US.

I called Tesla to seek clarification. They told me that LADBS had a “power issue” with the SolarEdge inverter and they had to switch to Delta to get approval. Tesla said if I want to stick with SolarEdge they would have to reduce the number of the panels and they weren’t sure how many panels would have to be eliminated to get approval until they resubmit for approval.

I am pretty bummed about the Delta inverter. No advanced monitoring or possibility of extended warranty which I was looking forward to.

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a 8.16KW installed with a SolarEdge inverter specifically in Los Angeles.

Also I was thinking if they will allow me to change the design to incorporate 2 3.8KW SolarEdge inverters instead. I have my doubts Tesla would entertain that as it adds complexity and costs.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hello all,

Ordered an 8.16KW system back in August. Finally have install date for 12/26. During the design phase, the system was designed with a single SolarEdge 7.6KW inverter and submitted the initial permit application as such, 10/9 and it was rejected 10/28. At the time, my project advisor told me that LADBS had a issue with the “letter” from SolarEdge regarding the inverter. I am assuming they weren’t happy with the specs on the data sheet provided with the plans? Anyways, my advisor told me they would resubmit, 12/11 and the permit was issued same day. However I didn’t notice until yesterday that the model number changed and it indicates a Delta inverter will be installed now, M8-TL-US.

I called Tesla to seek clarification. They told me that LADBS had a “power issue” with the SolarEdge inverter and they had to switch to Delta to get approval. Tesla said if I want to stick with SolarEdge they would have to reduce the number of the panels and they weren’t sure how many panels would have to be eliminated to get approval until they resubmit for approval.

I am pretty bummed about the Delta inverter. No advanced monitoring or possibility of extended warranty which I was looking forward to.

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a 8.16KW installed with a SolarEdge inverter specifically in Los Angeles.

Also I was thinking if they will allow me to change the design to incorporate 2 3.8KW SolarEdge inverters instead. I have my doubts Tesla would entertain that as it adds complexity and costs.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Such a pain that every city/county seems to be making their own rules.

Hi,

I have a 8.16 kW & 2 PW's in LADBS territory. I got the SE7600H-US approved. Plans submitted 7/202020. Permit issued 8/5/2020. System installed 9/1/2020. Permit Finaled 9/8/2010.

Regards,

GHTech
Thanks for the replies!

Hmm... the 2 of you that have replied with the SolarEdge inverters both have PWs. I wonder if that has any role in the approval. To my understanding the inverter connects to the PW’s gateway rather than directly to the main panel on a solar only install. Maybe that’s the reason? My home was built in ‘79 with a 100 amp service.