Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any test drives at stores yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to waste inventory on showroom or test drive vehicles until they start to get close to fulfilling all of the pre-orders.

Showroom / test drive vehicles are a form of advertisement. No need to waste money on advertisements until supply starts to get close to meeting demand.

I don't think we have any idea how many pre-orders are out there or how long it will take them to many vefullfil those vehicles.

Last edited:
No need to waste inventory on showroom or test drive vehicles until they start to get close to fulfilling all of the pre-orders.

Showroom / test drive vehicles are a form of advertisement. No need to waste money on advertisements until supply starts to get close to meeting demand.

I know a lot of folks (including myself) who are waiting to order *after* a test drive. So while I agree with you at some level that they don't really need it right now (as they have tons of production backlogs) but it would be great if they could offer it.

Reactions: vickh
I know a lot of folks (including myself) who are waiting to order *after* a test drive. So while I agree with you at some level that they don't really need it right now (as they have tons of production backlogs) but it would be great if they could offer it.

Since the cost of a reservation dropped, it's not a big deal to put a reservation down. At the point that today's reservations start to deliver, there probably will be cars available for test driving.

Reactions: Matsayz
Spoke with a Tesla rep yesterday (calling about our M3 test drive). Explained to him we had already ordered a MY and asked the same Q - When could I test drive a MY. His response was that there probably wouldn't be an oppty to drive one before my delivery. All the cars would be dedicated to orders, so no units on hand to test drive until those orders were fulfilled. Asked about delivery timing, he had no idea and didn't venture an estimate. No surprise there.

Spoke with a Tesla rep yesterday (calling about our M3 test drive). Explained to him we had already ordered a MY and asked the same Q - When could I test drive a MY. His response was that there probably wouldn't be an oppty to drive one before my delivery. All the cars would be dedicated to orders, so no units on hand to test drive until those orders were fulfilled. Asked about delivery timing, he had no idea and didn't venture an estimate. No surprise there.

i think it's BS not to have a few on hand. They did for the 3 where they are still supply restricted (not till later though)

It's the opposite in some co.s where I wanted to buy a display model laptop and they said no, it's for display only :)

Putting Model Y into showrooms will be a demand lever for Tesla.

First they will produce some prototypes. Employees will drive them around and give data back to Tesla as to areas that should be addressed prior to production.

First production will go to employees. More data and comments will be sent back to Tesla. Again tweekes may be implemented prior to sales to the general public.

First sales to reservation holders (eneral public) will be made, and close attention paid to early issues that may pop up. Continous improvement will then be implemented until that model goes out of production. Then the cycle will repeat.

Model Ys will show up in showrooms when they need to stimulate demand as some will want to kick the tires before ordering.

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and vickh
i'm new, but someone on here said the deposits are refundable on 'pre-orders' and once the vehicle goes in to production, from then on deposits are NOT refundable.
The old $2500 for Y is refundable. The new $100 is a non-refundable order fee. On a $50k vehicle, that $100 is pretty trivial to complain about though.

As for test drives, just be patient. I would expect that test drives will be limited in the beginning due to low production volumes. Once they start ramping, cars should be available enough at that point. Probably by May/June.

What they have done is not really very helpful. If you now refuse the car, you'd be out of $100 as it is now a *NON REFUNDABLE* deposit. So no thanks.

And you feel that possibly getting your car a few months earlier isn't worth $100?
Since you can sit in and drive a Model 3, which should be just about identical from the driver's seat, you feel the differences are going to possibly that big of a deal breaker?

If a $100 gamble isn't worth it to you, then happily sit back and wait for a hundred thousand or so cars to be delivered to others. Waiting this long, you obviously don't have a huge desire for one, so what's a couple of months going to be?

I don’t understand why people come here to complain everything about Tesla. No free supercharging, no free premium connectivity, no test drive. Folks, you have choices. I’m sure you can take an i-Pace or e-Tron home today, maybe even a Mach-E but they are already sold out by the 1000s. By people’s reaction here, I’m convinced those cars give you everything free and available today.