Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any test drives at stores yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What they have done is not really very helpful. If you now refuse the car, you'd be out of $100 as it is now a *NON REFUNDABLE* deposit. So no thanks.
Well, one way to look at the non refundable deposit is as the price of an option to buy. Without the option, if you do decide to buy, you will have to wait at least a few months longer (guesstimate). Is it worth $100 not to have to wait as long if a test drive ignites the flames of desire? Plus, for some, it is more fun to have a new model that has just come out rather that wait to take delivery after the newness of the model has worn off. Of course, doing so might reduce likelihood of new model production problems.

I personally want to sit in the Y and get a sense of height and sizing vs the 3. I don’t need the test drive, just a floor model to check out. I think the high volume stores will get a showroom model sometime in Q2.

Good point. I'd expect the handling to be similar or exactly the same as my 3. I want to just sit in too b/f ordering.

And you feel that possibly getting your car a few months earlier isn't worth $100?
Since you can sit in and drive a Model 3, which should be just about identical from the driver's seat, you feel the differences are going to possibly that big of a deal breaker?

I never buy a vehicle without test driving first, and I think many people are like that too. I will sit in and drive a Model Y before I put any money at all down on it. If the deposit was refundable then sure it would be a no brainer, but it isn't.

Never be impatient when investing in something as pricey as an automobile. It pays to wait and be absolutely sure in my opinion.

That said, I went to my local Tesla store this past weekend and they expect to have a test drive MY by April / May timeframe, so maybe some of the early production MY's are being reserved for the stores?

Reactions: vickh
I never buy a vehicle without test driving first, and I think many people are like that too. I will sit in and drive a Model Y before I put any money at all down on it. If the deposit was refundable then sure it would be a no brainer, but it isn't.

Never be impatient when investing in something as pricey as an automobile. It pays to wait and be absolutely sure in my opinion.

That said, I went to my local Tesla store this past weekend and they expect to have a test drive MY by April / May timeframe, so maybe some of the early production MY's are being reserved for the stores?

Don't forget, the $100 fee is not a deposit. It's just a reservation order fee. You're not putting down anything towards the vehicle, it's just to get your order in queue if you decide to follow through on the purchase. This is different than those who put down the original $1000 refundable reservation fee and $2500 refundable deposit.