Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Warnings for First Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep a good several car lengths behind other cars; and even further behind trucks. Getting rock chips on the hood and front fascia are a 100% eventuality, but don’t ruin your first night of garage staring by having to lament a jacked up front end, instead.

Congrats and happy motoring!

Reactions: Tron 3
Also, as i’m sure you’ve read here 1 million times, don’t leave that lot until you’ve super inspected the car. Make sure the 1774 adapter is in the wall charger kit. Check for paint nicks and dings. Make sure both card keys are programmed properly. All that good stuff

Reactions: kbecks13
Congrats!

Be REALLY careful. New Tesla owners are coaxed into driver distractions on steroids. Accident rates for new cars in general are very high the first few days. I don't know the stats for Teslas, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them near the top of the list.

My advice:
1. Be extra careful
2. Allow plenty pre-driving time to play with the doodads
3. Try not to get smile muscle cramps on the way home, and
4. Enjoy the drive.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Don’t put Autopilot on and start doing other stuff. It’s a driving aid, not a chauffeur.

Use A Better Route Planner to plan your charging. Don’t rely on the computer solely (although it is pretty good). Give yourself a buffer to make another charger “just in case”.
Otherwise, enjoy!

Treat it like a glorified golf cart - that's what regenerative braking feels like. Give yourself plenty of room to stop; learn how to feather the electron pedal; it takes a little more finesse than a gas car to drive smoothly ... but so worth it!

Also - until you're really comfy with it - be super cautious with Autopilot. Keep in mind that if you're in full Autopilot (cruise control + auto steering) and yank the wheel to one side or another, you'll disengage the auto steering but the cruise control will still be on!. This can cause the car to speed up unexpectedly until you figure out what's going on. A quick tap on the brake disengages both auto steering & cruise control.

If you can, have someone else with you. Let them fiddle with the display and learn the setting and such while you focus on driving. You can swap halfway through the drive when you stop for a charge... that'll give them time to acclimate to the car, while you learn the settings and display and such.

Most of all, enjoy!

PS - watch your speed. Way too easy to go silly fast.

Even though I was use to our MS, the Model 3 was different enough for me that we drove it to a nearby empty parking lot and checked out a few things before heading home while driving around the lot.

Looked through all the settings so I could set it up as I wanted ahead of time and not be concerned while driving and wanting to change things.
I tried out the different steering settings and regen braking. Made sure the brakes worked as well.
I found the windshield wiper and settings and checked out using the wipers.
Made sure the car's headlights were set to auto (think it's a default but not sure).
Programmed a few radio/music selections to make the drive pleasant listening and checked out the sound system and speakers.
Tried out the turn signals and brake lights (husband stood outside the car to check those worked).
Adjusted the steering wheel, seats, etc to set my profile.
Adjusted the side mirrors and the rear view mirror so that I could see traffic still visible in my rear mirror as it entered into my side mirror (avoid blind spots).
Backed up the car to see how that was using the rear camera.
Pulling into a parking spot was a bit different than our MS and liked the visual on the screen.
Checked charge level and stopped off at a Supercharger to make sure the port and Supercharging worked. You need to have a credit card attached to your account to use it (done through your online account set up).
We brought my new all-weather car mats with us so took out the carpet ones and replaced them with my new ones.
We had my phone set up at the DC so just made sure I knew how to make a call. My husband and I could then be in contact driving home.
Used Navigate on the way home to try it out. If you ask it to Navigate to the nearest Supercharger it will pre-warm your battery so it gets the most efficient charge rate.
Did try to stay away from other cars/trucks to avoid and rock chips but that depends on where you are driving and the time of day.

Think that was about it. The car calibrated for us within maybe 10 minutes but I decided to save trying out the AP for later although many are more than comfortable using it from the start. Enjoy driving and the trip home!

Oh and if you read up and pre-purchased and set up your USB flashdrive for TeslaCam/Sentry Mode on your home computer/laptop--must be formatted with FAT32 and follow proper TeslaCam file set up, install it before leaving. Hate to say I've read about someone leaving the factory after pick up on 580 and being rear-ended within a short distance from the factory. Never know when it could come in handy. Also be familiar with the ins and outs of using it, like knowing it's on, how to pause it so you can safely remove the drive, saving video, etc. Here's a link to the latest manual (10/30/19): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf A newer version will probably come out soon as there have been a lot of updates that happened in the last few months. But this should get your started with TeslaCam (search by dashcam I think) and Sentry Mode (search by Sentry).

Last edited:
I'll be picking up our M3 and immediately driving it 300 miles to home.

Any things to look out for that first drive. For example, It's unlikely, but I'm concerned that I will pay too much attention to the display and not watch the road.

IOW, any first-drive tips?

Thanks.
Congratulations!

So, it takes awhile for autopilot to calibrate, while it will probably enable before you get home, expect that you will do a lot of driving.

Before you leave, take the time to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and to setup the audio system for your stations and music. Make sure that the wipers and lights are on Auto, but also make sure that you know how to change them.
Learn how to set the nav system to your destination and set it before you leave.
Learn how to single click the right stalk to enable traffic aware cruise control.
Learn where the speed limit, cruise control setting, and speedometer is at.
Also look for the park, reverse neutral indicator and make sure you know how to shift and how to put in park.
Make sure you know where to turn the car on and off.

While you probably won't have any room to test in the Tesla lot, see if you can find a parking lot to drive around a little bit and readjust the mirrors and seats before starting your travels. Get used to the acceleration and deceleration.

I would NOT suggest changing any of the default driving settings to begin with, get used to the car in its native state.

I rent cars a lot and most of these are things that I try to do with any car that I pick up. 99.9% of driving a Tesla is the same as any other car.

I hope you are not planning to drive that 300 miles on one charge - because you won't make it.
absolutely... I did this same thing, 250mi drive back from delivery site. Made one SC stop (lunch too :)
was surprised though not really as to loss of range presumably due mostly to cold weather (20-30's) and warm-ish cabin settings (70).

Also don't count on the car starting out with 100%. Mine had about 90% - 280mi. Drove it to SC, about 120mi, and it reported 110 left. Sc upped it to 270 in 45mins. Drove the 2nd leg of 130mi, it reported 95 left. So got about 70% of stated range.

Spend the time to get the mirrors properly set up, the butt of this car is taller than many

Make sure tire pressures are correct (check when cold)

Play with it in a safe parking lot so the accelerator, braking feel, etc aren't novel to you on the highway. This is a quick car and regen is perplexing to some I've seen though not hard to get used to with a short amount of time

Enjoy

Assume the car will need a charge pretty soon after you pick it up, so plan your route accordingly.
(Good to ask for the car to be at least 80% charged on pick-up, but plan on 40%)

Also, get a credit card onto your Tesla account lest they cut you off from Supercharging.

And watch all the videos.

Very brief charging advice for noobs:

- Get your garage ready, hopefully you already ordered the NEMA 14-50 adapter (it doesn't come with the car).
- Don't charge to 100% unless you're going on a long trip and it's necessary. (I know you're going 300 miles, but charge at the dealership to about 90% (it's on them until you drive off the lot), then supercharge half-way for about 10 minutes. Topping off the battery is okay once in a while, but it's not ideal for battery longevity.
- If you don't need superchargers, don't use superchargers. (You will need one for the trip home.) Charge at home, at night, it's cheaper and it's better for your car.

From a fellow Californian:
- PG&E will not only give you a rebate, they will also lower your midnight rates for owning this car.
- Apply for the federal credit and the state rebate.
- Don't forget to order your HOV stickers, but DO NOT apply them directly to your paint... Instead apply vinyl or paint protection film then put the stickers on top of that. There are YouTube videos about this.
- Consider Tesla insurance (It's not always cheapest and may or may not be good when claims happen, but it exists in California so check it out.)