Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to set Tesla app to Self powered from 8am-noon and TBC-cost saving rest of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why do you have peak 3pm to 12am?
Under EVA-1 peak is 2pm to 9pm
Under EVA-2 peak is 4pm to 9pm

does no good to use PWs from 9pm to 12am from a cost savings perspective
The EVA schedule has partial peak hours from 3 to 4 pm and 9pm to 12 am, peak hours between 4 to 9 pm.

If you look at the rate in the winter hours, partial peak is $.35 and peak is $.37, off peak is $.18. Difference between partial and peak is $.02.... Might as well set those hours as all peak and use energy in the PW to save money. There is enough sun to charge my PW back to 100% everyday so far

they will move me from EV1 to EV2 in a couple years. That will suck having all that solar generation at Off Peak rates. At least I do have PWs
Anyone buying new solar only is going to have a much longer ROI
That's my reason to just use energy from PW after 3pm. I can pretty much offset all my usage even in Feb... So I know I will be fine in the summer.

The EVA schedule has partial peak hours from 3 to 4 pm and 9pm to 12 am, peak hours between 4 to 9 pm.

If you look at the rate in the winter hours, partial peak is $.35 and peak is $.37, off peak is $.18. Difference between partial and peak is $.02.... Might as well set those hours as all peak and use energy in the PW to save money. There is enough sun to charge my PW back to 100% everyday so far
I use Balanced Mode. If there is still energy left above the Reserve, it will continue to use Powerwall energy through the Part-Peak 9pm-midnight period.

2021-03-08 Chart.jpg

I use Balanced Mode. If there is still energy left above the Reserve, it will continue to use Powerwall energy through the Part-Peak 9pm-midnight period.

View attachment 643446
My goal is to see if I can use PW's only during peak and part peak.. I guess other goal is at least 8 to 10 months a year. In the dead of winter, with tiny solar, that will be impossible. Now, if I can charge my PW's from grid, .... :)

View attachment 643446
Reason I use cost saving, is because at the end of the day the energy my system generate is still being used somewhere. (Hopefully my neighbor).

So for me, the balance mode is a "feel good" mode that shows I am trying to be as energy independent as possible, but in reality I am still tie to the grid and still need to draw power from the grid anyway... Might as well save a few more dollar with cost saving.

Reason I use cost saving, is because at the end of the day the energy my system generate is still being used somewhere. (Hopefully my neighbor).

So for me, the balance mode is a "feel good" mode that shows I am trying to be as energy independent as possible, but in reality I am still tie to the grid and still need to draw power from the grid anyway... Might as well save a few more dollar with cost saving.
Exactly. I don't know why anyone would use balanced mode.

I still have not understood the difference and how they behave

I still have not understood the difference and how they behave
I don't think there is a lot, but from their description balance is supposed to minimize export during shoulder and off peak.

So for us with EVA, balance will minimize export during 3 to 4pm (if you set peak from 4-9pm) and let the TEG decide what to do, versus you are setting it to export in that hour.

It will probably affect more if you have EVB plan

Exactly. I don't know why anyone would use balanced mode.
We use balanced because we aren't concerned so much with cost but with exactly when we export and when we pull from the grid. As I showed in the images above, when on Cost Saving mode, our system was draining the Powerwalls at unpredictable times, such as before peak. By doing this, it's possible the Powerwalls wouldn't have enough to cover the entire peak period. With balanced, our Powerwalls are charged first and we know they won't be used to power the house until peak starts. Then they can continue to power everything through peak and part-peak until off-peak begins. We tweaked our part-peak period to be longer and know we're always self-powered from 3 pm until 3 am and then use grid power for a couple hours to charge the vehicles. Usually the Powerwalls start powering the house again around 6 am (if they are still above the reserve) and power everything until solar takes over.

We use balanced because we aren't concerned so much with cost but with exactly when we export and when we pull from the grid. As I showed in the images above, when on Cost Saving mode, our system was draining the Powerwalls at unpredictable times, such as before peak. By doing this, it's possible the Powerwalls wouldn't have enough to cover the entire peak period. With balanced, our Powerwalls are charged first and we know they won't be used to power the house until peak starts. Then they can continue to power everything through peak and part-peak until off-peak begins. We tweaked our part-peak period to be longer and know we're always self-powered from 3 pm until 3 am and then use grid power for a couple hours to charge the vehicles. Usually the Powerwalls start powering the house again around 6 am (if they are still above the reserve) and power everything until solar takes over.
Interesting. What I saw using balanced this morning, was before solar came up, at like 6am, different things happened. On the GW with batteries at 46% and reserve set at 20%, grid was doing 100 of need. But for the GW with batteries at 81%, PW's where doing 100% providing power. Any idea what this what going on?

Interesting. What I saw using balanced this morning, was before solar came up, at like 6am, different things happened. On the GW with batteries at 46% and reserve set at 20%, grid was doing 100 of need. But for the GW with batteries at 81%, PW's where doing 100% providing power. Any idea what this what going on?
We only have one GW so I have no idea how they would work together. In your situation, was there a high power usage, such as car charging on the first GW and regular household usage on the second GW?

While we're able to predict our Powerwall usage after peak, we see different behavior in the morning right before solar starts back up, depending on how much energy remains in the Powerwalls. If the Powerwalls have a lot of energy remaining above the reserve level, they will often start up and power the house and high-load car charging. It usually cycles back and forth, with the Powerwalls providing 60 to 90% of the household load. If the Powerwalls are closer to the reserve level, they don't kick in when there are high household (car charging) loads since it knows they would quickly be drained to the reserve.

We only have one GW so I have no idea how they would work together. In your situation, was there a high power usage, such as car charging on the first GW and regular household usage on the second GW?

While we're able to predict our Powerwall usage after peak, we see different behavior in the morning right before solar starts back up, depending on how much energy remains in the Powerwalls. If the Powerwalls have a lot of energy remaining above the reserve level, they will often start up and power the house and high-load car charging. It usually cycles back and forth, with the Powerwalls providing 60 to 90% of the household load. If the Powerwalls are closer to the reserve level, they don't kick in when there are high household (car charging) loads since it knows they would quickly be drained to the reserve.
Lots of great stuff. Basically my 2 GW's might as well be 2 different homes. Nothing is shared between them

I have no EV. But my heat pumps pull about 3kwh 24 hours a day when its cold like now.

I maybe seeing what you talked about. My one GW now is over 75% and has stopped using grid. Solar is doing house and charging PW.
The other one, where the battery is only 57%, is having 100% of solar charging it, and heating needs are coming from 100% grid. All this seems to make sense with the goal to have batteries 100% charged by 3pm. Not sure if I will make it though. Will see.

Reactions: bemyax
Lots of great stuff. Basically my 2 GW's might as well be 2 different homes. Nothing is shared between them

I have no EV. But my heat pumps pull about 3kwh 24 hours a day when its cold like now.

I maybe seeing what you talked about. My one GW now is over 75% and has stopped using grid. Solar is doing house and charging PW.
The other one, where the battery is only 57%, is having 100% of solar charging it, and heating needs are coming from 100% grid. All this seems to make sense with the goal to have batteries 100% charged by 3pm. Not sure if I will make it though. Will see.
It's an adaptive system. It's looking at the SOC, which time period you're in, and what it expects for solar generation. Based on those inputs it will decide to charge from All Solar, Surplus Solar, or even discharge the batteries. I see different behavior in different seasons, yet I'm pretty happy with what it does in Balanced mode.

Reactions: eml2
It's an adaptive system. It's looking at the SOC, which time period you're in, and what it expects for solar generation. Based on those inputs it will decide to charge from All Solar, Surplus Solar, or even discharge the batteries. I see different behavior in different seasons, yet I'm pretty happy with what it does in Balanced mode.
I only have my 3 pack batteries charged to 90%. Will see if I make 100 by 3pm

I don't understand why Powerwall would behave this way. In Cost Saving mode, one would expect that it will try to maximize the saving. That means, it should provide max power during the peak period. Not provide power during off peak, and run out of power during peak. That sounds contrary to the name "cost saving mode". In fact, that behavior sounds more in line with "balance mode", where the main concern is to stay off-grid as long as possible.