TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any word on the 3's Extended Service Agreement (ESA)?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by internalaudit, Aug 22, 2017.

1. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

3. Robocheme

Robocheme Member

4. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

EVs have low maintenance. Luxury cars don't.

5. C141medic

C141medic Member

So, it looks like you can purchase the warranty within 30 days or 1000 miles of the original warranty expiration. I guess I may consider it depending the extent of repairs that have been completed up to that point.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Yikes ! $200 deductible per visit :eek:

7. C141medic

C141medic Member

That is pretty high. And the extended agreement doesn't cover the drive unit or battery.

8. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

So the ESA for the 3 is out? Or did you mean the one for S or X where they are covered for eight years, unlimited mileage?

9. C141medic

C141medic Member

I believe that was from the ESA for the Model S and X. Take a look at the link from the OP. Hopefully the ESA for the M3 will be a little more reasonably priced.

• Like x 1
  10. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

I am the OP, lol. The battery and DU will not be in the ESA for the S or X because they are covered for eight years unlimited mileage and not four years, like for the majority of the vehicle.

For the 3, I'm sure many are getting anxious as to what the details are going to be with the 8-year 100k limited warranty on the battery and likely the four year warranty on the DU.

If the ESA is cheaper, hopefully the AWD option will be too. :)

• Like x 1
  11. C141medic

C141medic Member

Oopso_O. It will definitely be interesting. I'm more concerned about the initial warranty for the DU since it's only 4 years. Hopefully the M3 ESA will have more "robust" coverage options to include AWD/DU. I mean, besides the battery isn't that one of the other major components of the vehicle?

• Informative x 1
  12. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

I'm not an engineer or car EV enthusiast but I think the DU and battery are the major ones but electronics (especially all that information that goes into the single display and error codes thrown out) could count too since I doubt it can be repaired by anyone besides the authorized repair centers or Tesla itself.

Hopefully they really built the 3 to be more reliable since there's less fluff and it would cost Tesla a pretty penny to cover 500k cars if they are quite unreliable.

• Like x 1
  13. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

If history is any guide, it might be a while AFTER 3's are on the road in regular folks' hands (not employees) before we see pricing on the ESA and maintenance plans. I know it took almost a year for them to release the option(s) and pricing on the X.

Once they do, though, everyone who already has a car will be able to retroactively buy them even if they technically are outside the windows.

• Informative x 1
  14. eisbock

eisbock Member

Wait. So you spend over 4 grand on the ESA and still have to shell out $200 each time you get the car serviced under the "extended service agreement"?

15. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

If I read it correctly, yes. But I am not a Tesla owner, so I would defer that answer to someone who's actually used the ESA.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

That will cut down on trivial visits that clog the service centers. I'm for it.

17. cschock

cschock Member

I have the ESA (and bought it right when it came available in 2013!) for our 2013 Model S. We've had to use it once now, they replaced the center screen and the MPU at about 56K miles. Tesla has some leeway on costs of things, they did not even charge us the deductible. We are now money ahead on the ESA, which we purchased for $2500 back in the day. At the now $4000 and with a later model car, I might think about not getting it. But with Model 3 in the first year, oh yeah, I plan to get it again. :)

• Informative x 1
  18. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

So M3's are being delivered to non-employees but the ESA isn't available yet? I guess I'll just have to wait half a year more to find out, at the latest since the ESA is cheaper if Purchased within 180 Days.

If it's any significant fraction of the reservation numbers, the ESA may bring a billion or two into Tesla's coffers. :)

19. PoitNarf

PoitNarf Member

I've seen no evidence of this. There may have been a few deliveries to employee family members but all deliveries so far (to the best of my knowledge) have been from reservations placed by employees of either Tesla or SpaceX.

• Helpful x 1
  20. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

I wait until a few things break before I use my ESA ie more than $200 worth of stuff. It is 200 per visit not per item.

• Like x 1