Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have a PG&E EV Submeter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
I am about to get my Model X and pulled a permit for a new panel and meter for dedicated EV plan. Currently on NEM E7 transferring to E6. Not enough solar to offset significant use even with the EV so a dedicated EV plans looks best.

While I could probably use a new panel for the EV, if I charged in the wee hours and avoided heavy load periods I could probably accommodate my needs with my current 200 amp service.

Looking the the EV submetering program that might be a much better way to get the car on a dedicated EV rate plan. I tried contact PG&E from the submeter pilot website but I have not gotten any response for over a week.

Looking for anyone who might have first hand experience with this option.

I am about to get my Model X and pulled a permit for a new panel and meter for dedicated EV plan. Currently on NEM E7 transferring to E6. Not enough solar to offset significant use even with the EV so a dedicated EV plans looks best.

While I could probably use a new panel for the EV, if I charged in the wee hours and avoided heavy load periods I could probably accommodate my needs with my current 200 amp service.

Looking the the EV submetering program that might be a much better way to get the car on a dedicated EV rate plan. I tried contact PG&E from the submeter pilot website but I have not gotten any response for over a week.

hi there. I have the submeter through emotorwerks' trial progam. it has not saved me any money, since I work nights and can't limit my charging to 11P to 7A.

the rates during the day and the partial peak are a lot higher than my current rate on solar. I will likely remove the submeter after the trial is done. in the meantime, I only charge on the meter at night, and turn the meter off when charging during the day.

i'm in berkeley if you want to see the setup.

I cancelled the submeter pilot with SCE. It did not seem to pencil out on a NEM with Solar. I don't know the differences between PG&E and SCE rates but I only increased my bill. That may be unique to my case because I have a net credit at the end of my relevant period and that did not apply to offset my sub meter.

I do have a second meter on EVB along with my solar now on E6, my situation is that I do not have the ability to put enough solar panels to off set my all electric usage. So if I put the Tesla on the NEM tou It puts me into the upper tiers and becomes very expensive. So the second meter is just for charging the Tesla and when I went on this system the off peak was .04 per KW now it is .11, still reasonable.

OK. After doing all the math I decided to move my NEM over to EVA and not do a second meter. Since it's not tiered, and most of my day use is offset or over generated by solar, I am hoping the higher rates will never be seen. Then I can just charge after midnight. I will have to play with my partial peak times a bit and of course coming from E7, the times are different too.

OK. After doing all the math I decided to move my NEM over to EVA and not do a second meter. Since it's not tiered, and most of my day use is offset or over generated by solar, I am hoping the higher rates will never be seen. Then I can just charge after midnight. I will have to play with my partial peak times a bit and of course coming from E7, the times are different too.
You just have to watch your evening usage between when your solar drops off and 9pm. That's right, the Peak rate period goes until 9pm!

You just have to watch your evening usage between when your solar drops off and 9pm. That's right, the Peak rate period goes until 9pm!
Yeah. That is going to be a challenge. Today on E7 I can crank my AC down until noon and ride the thermal mass wave until 6pm when I let it rip. With the partial peak I am hoping I can do the same until 2pm and then hopefully by 8pm open the windows. But those dead air days with no breeze are going to be a challenge.

And kiss off cooking with the electric oven or doing laundry during the weekday except in the AM on the weekend.

But it appeared that even on E7 I was always in Tier 2 and even Tier 3 at times. Tier 1 just seemed to be enough to keep the refrigerator running and a few light bulbs on.:)