Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody here waiting for Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrDabbles

Jul 28, 2017
NH, US
I got the usual call from Tesla asking if I wanted to add solar panels since I already bought a car. I mentioned I plan on adding solar to my house in the next year or two, but that I was waiting for the solar roofing shingles rather than panels. The person I spoke to mentioned they expect to be rolling out the roofs in the NH area beginning next year.

Obviously with this being a sales person, I don't know how much info they really have on expected availability or initial deployment dates. So I figured I'd ask the hive mind of the Internet. Has anybody here signed up for and put a deposit down on the solar roof? If so, have you received any updates from Tesla on when you could expect your initial site survey, install plan, and/or install date?

I put a deposit on Solar Roof the day Elon revealed the product.
I cancelled the deposit a few months ago, having heard nothing and having seen how low a priority rolling out that product is among Tesla's competing priorities.
I got my check pretty quickly; within a month if memory serves.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDabbles
Tesla came out a couple months ago to do a site survey for a friend who is planning to get a solar roof installed but they have not scheduled the install yet. I also received a call this past week for a site survey and the Tesla representative told me the factory was gearing up for a significant ramp up this year. In my experience the Tesla sales personnel have no more idea of what's going to happen in the future than people on the forums so I take that forecast with a large shaker of salt -- just passing it on for what's it's worth (probably not much). If/when they schedule the install at my friend's house that would be a positive sign.

Tesla came out a couple months ago to do a site survey for a friend who is planning to get a solar roof installed but they have not scheduled the install yet. I also received a call this past week for a site survey and the Tesla representative told me the factory was gearing up for a significant ramp up this year. In my experience the Tesla sales personnel have no more idea of what's going to happen in the future than people on the forums so I take that forecast with a large shaker of salt -- just passing it on for what's it's worth (probably not much). If/when they schedule the install at my friend's house that would be a positive sign.

I have to believe that even though the factory is here in the north-east, they're going to start the rollout from the south-west. There's more sunlight hours, and more open sky.

Yes. I'm waiting for a solar roof for my families Cape Cod home. I put down the deposit 2 months after the reveal. I've had some contact with Tesla Energy but nothing tangible. I occasionally receive and e-mail about going solar, (I have solar on our home but want to expand it) but every contact goes dark. I'll speak to my OA for my recent purchase to see if they can help. We need a new roof on the cape house and I wanted to wait for the solar roof before doing this work.

I too put down a deposit for the solar roof plus 3 Powerwalls the day the roof was announced. I have made many requests via my reservations page on the Tesla site for update of status but never received a response. This past week I cancelled the order since i can no longer wait with no prospect of a timeline.

I also tried to sign up for Tesla PV panels but i simply get a message saying not available in my area. I'm on my second Tesla car and I have a Tesla wall connector but they sure don't seem to care about my "energy" business. I am going ahead with Sunpower panels + Powerwalls.

FWIW, the solar vendor, who is an authorized Powerwall installer, told me that the inside scoop is that the roof tile delay is due to problems with chipping/cracking of the tiles.

• Informative
Reviving this old thread now that V3 is available and evidence of installations beginning in other parts of the country. I'm curious to see where others are at.

We're looking at a system for our house - specs are for a 14.5kW system size and estimated 10.1kWh annual production. We signed up when they announced V3 and Tesla Energy just reached out to us to review their proposal a few days ago. Not having spoken with them yet, I'm not sure what the timeline is for New England (Mass in my case) installs, but Tesla has numerous job postings for energy related jobs (roofers, electricians, PV system designers, etc...) in the area, had a hiring event in December and has another scheduled for next week (Tesla Job postings). It seems possible installs could indeed start soon, perhaps in a few months, not knowing how long the lead time is for hiring, training, system design, solar roof materials delivery, etc....

I put my deposit down on solar shingles right after the reveal however many years ago and about once a year I call Tesla to ask what's going on and the person on the other end of the phone never knows. Imagine my surprise last week when out of the blue I get a phone call from Tesla letting me know their ready to install. Yesterday i signed the agreement for tesla solar shingles. Wahoo

On a side note, they would not sell me any Powerwalls, they stated that Powerwalls would be an entirely different transaction that could only be done once the solar was installed. I imagine they do not want to hold up the solar install if their is a shortage on Powerwalls hence the separate transaction.

I'm wicked excited about this. Bought my house three years ago and the roof was in horrible condition then but wanted to wait for solar shingles. The agreement says they'll start in between two weeks and six months.........I'm not holding my breath for a quick install but am cautiously optimistic.

I'll be driving on sunshine in my 2014 MS (135k miles).

• Love
Reactions: EinSV and EdA
Reviving this old thread now that V3 is available and evidence of installations beginning in other parts of the country. I'm curious to see where others are at.

We're looking at a system for our house - specs are for a 14.5kW system size and estimated 10.1kWh annual production. We signed up when they announced V3 and Tesla Energy just reached out to us to review their proposal a few days ago. Not having spoken with them yet, I'm not sure what the timeline is for New England (Mass in my case) installs, but Tesla has numerous job postings for energy related jobs (roofers, electricians, PV system designers, etc...) in the area, had a hiring event in December and has another scheduled for next week (Tesla Job postings). It seems possible installs could indeed start soon, perhaps in a few months, not knowing how long the lead time is for hiring, training, system design, solar roof materials delivery, etc....
We had Tesla Energy at our house twice in the past week to do the site survey - only reason it was two visits was due to excessive wind on the first day that prevented them from going up on the roof. Not really much info to share other than the visit - they were just gathering info to send back to the design team. They indicated someone would probably reach out to us in the next 2-3 three weeks to set expectations on a timeline. It seems likely actual installs won't happen until summer in New England, but who really knows at this point.

Reactions: TezlaGranny
I received an updated agreement on Friday with an amended install target of 3-six months (the first agreement was two weeks to six monhs as yours appears to be). I would say expected a revised document sometime soon, perhaps after your structural inspection which was scheduled pretty quickly after we signed. Bottom line is in New England, they probably won't be staffed and ready to install Solar Glass until this summer.

Yes. I'm waiting for a solar roof for my families Cape Cod home. I put down the deposit 2 months after the reveal. I've had some contact with Tesla Energy but nothing tangible. I occasionally receive and e-mail about going solar, (I have solar on our home but want to expand it) but every contact goes dark. I'll speak to my OA for my recent purchase to see if they can help. We need a new roof on the cape house and I wanted to wait for the solar roof before doing this work.

Would love an update if possible. Thank you.

I just received and signed the Eversource "Interconnection Service Agreement" yesterday as part of an ongoing irregular order processing flow. This document included the electrical site plan (wiring diagram of the solar roof and powerwalls). I'm guessing but not certain there is very little additional paperwork at this point - probably just waiting for an install date based on crew availability.

I did ping Tesla a few times recently on timeline and finally got a response back late last week. This sounds like general guidance and hard to read how it applies to individual orders in-process.

Currently the timeline on the east coast is roughly 4-6 months. We are working on increasing crew capacity to make this sooner, but this is the current timeline.

I just received and signed the Eversource "Interconnection Service Agreement" yesterday as part of an ongoing irregular order processing flow. This document included the electrical site plan (wiring diagram of the solar roof and powerwalls). I'm guessing but not certain there is very little additional paperwork at this point - probably just waiting for an install date based on crew availability.

I did ping Tesla a few times recently on timeline and finally got a response back late last week. This sounds like general guidance and hard to read how it applies to individual orders in-process.

Currently the timeline on the east coast is roughly 4-6 months. We are working on increasing crew capacity to make this sooner, but this is the current timeline.
Who do you ping? Can you please share a phone number or email address? Thank you.

Who do you ping? Can you please share a phone number or email address? Thank you.
In my case,I had a text message thread from earlier updates from Tesla Energy on the project that I replied to requesting a status update. I also sent e-mail to [email protected]. I don't recall which method resulted in a response (delayed a bit admittedly).

In my case,I had a text message thread from earlier updates from Tesla Energy on the project that I replied to requesting a status update. I also sent e-mail to [email protected]. I don't recall which method resulted in a response (delayed a bit admittedly).
Received the call to schedule our project the other day. We're setup for June (early tear-off/late solar roof install). I know of at least one completed solar roof install location in Dorchester. Two other locations that I heard about in MA don't have it (projects may have been cancelled or perhaps just haven't happened yet).

Reactions: EdA
Received the call to schedule our project the other day. We're setup for June (early tear-off/late solar roof install). I know of at least one completed solar roof install location in Dorchester. Two other locations that I heard about in MA don't have it (projects may have been cancelled or perhaps just haven't happened yet).

Would love to see it when it is done...

I am waiting for my solar roof to be installed. I first signed contract over a year ago. My roof has been torn off in early December but the install continues to be delayed. After the snow yesterday the project has been delayed again and no new timeline has been given for installation.