Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody know a way to kill\lessen the upgrade nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not upgraded firmware in 2.5 years.

Nag to install a downloaded firmware upgrade will eventually stop. Schedule install pop up will stop, download will vanish, in time. Sometimes in a few weeks, sometimes in a few months. I have had two sneak in, when I briefly connected car to wifi, but never install. Whenever you see a pop up install firmware box, if you don't want to schedule the install, don't touch it in any way. Press music or the like, to clear it from the screen. My experience, despite what some say, is that a firmware will never install, without your actioning or scheduling it. But, this can be only one wrong button press away. Be careful not to log the car onto any wifi network. Hotspot off your Phone, for music, is a gotcha, unfortunately. I have always subscribed to Tesla premium connectivity, for Spotify, live traffic, maps, etc, and no firmware has snuck in through this possible gateway.

My software has been stable without a fault of any kind. This is just luck. I would have moved on, if it hadn't. I have a beloved Hansshow HUD(CAN bus), long discontinued, that continues to display reliably, and I don't want to brick it, until I have an issue, requiring an upgrade. Hansshow discontinued it, because it was costing them too much to release their own firmware, every-time Tesla changed. I never purchased self drive and don't use auto pilot(city driving only). This is the wrong forum to expect any support for this choice. Ignore the gas-lighting that with every update the car just gets better, you are the problem. That is a matter of opinion. A smart feature that chooses other then what you want, is not so smart. Some UI designer selecting a new layout he likes, is more often than not, just annoying to some, IF you don't like it. I accept constant UI change from Apple. Tesla still need to learn this is a car, not a phone. Tesla need to accept that this car will not be APPROVED for FSD, in some markets, within the lifetime of many drivers ownership, and stop making UI choices catering principally with FSD in mind. Tesla still need to learn to always incorporate choice in changes, or lose customers, as more EV's become available.

I enjoy spending zero time putting up with new firmware bugs. I enjoy putting in zero time playing Wheres Wally for some operational function. The UI is slowly getting better, but I am not sold yet on the latest being better for me, then the version I am used to. I do keep an ear tuned for any safety issues requiring upgrades. So far, I haven't read of any that affect basic car functions. Ya, I know about the void warranty threat. I still like the car more than any ICE, but without more UI choice, my next EV will still not be a Tesla.

BTW, performed the two year service at Tesla, about 18 months ago. Brake service, cabin air filter. The Service manager had no problem agreeing not to update the firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: smogne41
This. This is what's baffling me and why nothing he says after that makes any sense. It's stubbornness, irrational, and spiteful - all hurting himself and no one else.

I would buy a 30 year old Ford. I hear the the buttons and gauges never change.

That’s the thing about irrationally entrenched positions. The only thing you can do to in a vain attempt to save face is keep digging like OP.

The internet in a nutshell- People endlessly whining about choices that other people make.

I have not upgraded firmware in 2.5 years.
I did not expect them to lose their minds on sofware updates. Tesla should really allow people to roll back to older versions as desired, then everyone is happy. Any immediate problems can be avoided, long term avoiders like me are happy, people who want the latest are happy. It's the obvious solution, and it's considered industry best practices to have a LTS branch, so of course that will never happen.

I'd pay money to be able to get the software back that my car shipped with. There are a couple of minor improvements and added features that are nice-to-have, but they completely f*ed the driving UI since then.

Obviously rolled back software and maintaining LTS branches costs money, but damn I'd be willing to pay. Come on Tesla, make it a new income stream.

Nag to install a downloaded firmware upgrade will eventually stop. Schedule install pop up will stop, download will vanish, in time. Sometimes in a few weeks, sometimes in a few months. I have had two sneak in, when I briefly connected car to wifi, but never install. Whenever you see a pop up install firmware box, if you don't want to schedule the install, don't touch it in any way. Press music or the like, to clear it from the screen. My experience, despite what some say, is that a firmware will never install, without your actioning or scheduling it. But, this can be only one wrong button press away. Be careful not to log the car onto any wifi network. Hotspot off your Phone, for music, is a gotcha, unfortunately. I have always subscribed to Tesla premium connectivity, for Spotify, live traffic, maps, etc, and no firmware has snuck in through this possible gateway.
Just noting that I got an update through LTE at one point that was downloaded, but not installed. I think that it might be a requirement for recalls. IIRC this was to disable the 3G radio when 3G went offline. So it's possible for an update to show up even off WiFi, but I think I agree it will never auto-install. Auto-install would be pretty dangerous- you can't drive, and need to be certain car is in a safe spot.

My software has been stable without a fault of any kind. This is just luck. I would have moved on, if it hadn't. I have a beloved Hansshow HUD(CAN bus), long discontinued, that continues to display reliably, and I don't want to brick it, until I have an issue, requiring an upgrade. Hansshow discontinued it, because it was costing them too much to release their own firmware, every-time Tesla changed. I never purchased self drive and don't use auto pilot(city driving only). This is the wrong forum to expect any support for this choice. Ignore the gas-lighting that with every update the car just gets better, you are the problem. That is a matter of opinion. A smart feature that chooses other then what you want, is not so smart. Some UI designer selecting a new layout he likes, is more often than not, just annoying to some, IF you don't like it. I accept constant UI change from Apple. Tesla still need to learn this is a car, not a phone. Tesla need to accept that this car will not be APPROVED for FSD, in some markets, within the lifetime of many drivers ownership, and stop making UI choices catering principally with FSD in mind. Tesla still need to learn to always incorporate choice in changes, or lose customers, as more EV's become available.
That might be the crux of the UI turning to s*. The fantasy that it's going to be all FSD all the time, and it might as well be an entertainment device.

Somewhere about 2 years ago, their software team went mad and started making egregious forced errors that made no sense. Even for the people who love having the UI randomized every 6 months, there were inexplicable errors like the on-screen User Manual causing the head unit to black-screen and reboot. No software dev does that kind of thing on purpose, so something changed to make it blow up. It would blow up while driving giving the driver the awesome experience of having zero UI. Software crashes happen, give us the chance to roll back and it's not an issue. The problem was... Tesla allows no rollbacks, and did not fix that bug for 6 MONTHS. Inexcusable!. And the mark of a broken software org.

I wait for the updates now, and look for screenshots and actual improvments. Since I added a 3rd party HUD, it's less important to me when they bone the UI at every Christmas. However, I will observe that in the last 6 months or so, the software org seems to have righted the ship. I'm not seeing amateur level software mistakes anymore, and a few of the new changes are actually pretty good. The new Energy screen is a geniune improvment. Bringing back cards in the lower left for the people who like them is a very good and user friendly move instead of the user hostile move of removing them. Being able to cover up that stupid car animation with turn-by-turn directions and media playback is using the screen real estate in a much smarter fashion instead of wasting the most valuable part of the screen on useless animations that don't help the driver. So, I'm seeing promising signs of progress. And the UI is no longer irritating every time I drive.

I enjoy spending zero time putting up with new firmware bugs. I enjoy putting in zero time playing Wheres Wally for some operational function. The UI is slowly getting better, but I am not sold yet on the latest being better for me, then the version I am used to. I do keep an ear tuned for any safety issues requiring upgrades. So far, I haven't read of any that affect basic car functions. Ya, I know about the void warranty threat. I still like the car more than any ICE, but without more UI choice, my next EV will still not be a Tesla.

BTW, performed the two year service at Tesla, about 18 months ago. Brake service, cabin air filter. The Service manager had no problem agreeing not to update the firmware.
Wish I'd had the foresight to use my normal habits with these guys too, and just keep my software like you have done. Jealous! For some reason I thought they had better than normal software devs, but they either lost all their senior devs, or don't care to listen to them. I concur with you though- horrible experience for me overall. Give the chance to rollback and all is forgiven. No recourse, and my next car is definitely not going to be a Tesla.

Knowing of an example where the service manager did not force feed you an update is terrific to know that it can be done. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: smogne41
Indeed, the "It gets better with every update" cultists are hilarious and sad. Stay on whatever software version you want, for as long as you want, for whatever reason you want. I held out almost as long as a few others here, and I still really miss my pre-2020 holiday update UI with the larger map and smaller car visualization. The car continued to operate perfectly, but I don't have AP so can't comment on that.

I only caved after they brought back the cards, seemed to get some of the constant flood of bugs a little under control, etc. But what actually got me to update was Tesla finally adding something that actually made the car BETTER, what was the new functions on the left scroll wheel, especially the wipers. The UI is still worse than it was, but it is not profoundly worse anymore and is now just somewhat worse than V9. Still hate the smaller map with hidden Superchargers.

Indeed, the "It gets better with every update" cultists are hilarious and sad. Stay on whatever software version you want, for as long as you want, for whatever reason you want. I held out almost as long as a few others here, and I still really miss my pre-2020 holiday update UI with the larger map and smaller car visualization. The car continued to operate perfectly, but I don't have AP so can't comment on that.

I only caved after they brought back the cards, seemed to get some of the constant flood of bugs a little under control, etc. But what actually got me to update was Tesla finally adding something that actually made the car BETTER, what was the new functions on the left scroll wheel, especially the wipers. The UI is still worse than it was, but it is not profoundly worse anymore and is now just somewhat worse than V9. Still hate the smaller map with hidden Superchargers.
So are you in the camp where it stays the same or gets worse with each update?

But then it seems as if you just admitted that you did an update and it got better.

So are you in the camp where it stays the same or gets worse with each update?

But then it seems as if you just admitted that you did an update and it got better.
It took two years but they finally added enough stuff back in (cards, etc) and a few new good features that it was worth it to me to live with what I still did not like. But it took over two years personally for the scales to tip that way. There is nothing contradictory in that.