Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody know a way to kill\lessen the upgrade nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, after the disastrous V11 update I vowed never again and took my car off the wifi. This worked well as the car only nagged to be put back on the network every couple of days or so. Over the weekend I had lunch at a restaurant right next door to a Tesla dealer, and I think it must have downloaded an update while there. Now it's nagging me to update or schedule it every frigging time I put it in park, which can be many times per day. Anybody know of a way to alleviate this, apart from installing newer crappy software than I already have?

Hi folks, after the disastrous V11 update I vowed never again and took my car off the wifi. This worked well as the car only nagged to be put back on the network every couple of days or so. Over the weekend I had lunch at a restaurant right next door to a Tesla dealer, and I think it must have downloaded an update while there. Now it's nagging me to update or schedule it every frigging time I put it in park, which can be many times per day. Anybody know of a way to alleviate this, apart from installing newer crappy software than I already have?
Part of owning a tesla is getting software updates. Although, I have yet to hear of it happening to anyone, tesla states that they can void your warranty if you don't do the updates (New Vehicle Limited Warranty p9):
You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:

- Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available
Even if you never connect to wifi, they will eventually push software over LTE if you get too far behind. Presumably this because there are safety-critical updates, recalls, and even things that can affect wear/maintenance.

For downloaded software, the nags should go away in a week or two (at least they used to). Just NEVER allow it to schedule and dismiss it every time. Hopefully it still lets you do that, because I don't intend to install every update going forward either (only ones that get good community vetting). Taking yourself off WiFi drastically reduces the number of updates it downloads, but it will still download a few over cellular per year (or if you park next to a Tesla service center like you did).

I held off on V11 until a few weeks ago. I agree it was absolute garbage, and I am glad I avoided it for as long as I did. The recent scroll wheel wiper controls finally won me over though. Still don't love the reduced map size and the mostly hidden Superchargers though.

I went through the same thing after being astonished by that giant turd for an update that almost got me to sell my car. The premise is that the car constantly improves not just changes for the sake of change. You can always tell when software orgs are dead when they change the look of the icons. That always shows a total lack of imagination, but "gotta do something." I got around their shitty UI by adding aftermarket accessories.

One thing I learned while experimenting on how to avoid future turds in the punchbowl, You can do a Factory Reset on your car, and it will drop that update from being active, and thus stop nagging about the install. The only thing I lost on a Factory Reset was my lifetime watts/hr measurement. And of course having to reconfigure my preferences.

(As noted by others, if you ever need service, they will force feed you an update regardless.)

Are you still on V10, or just an early V11? If early V11, I would update to 2023.12.9. For my Y, AP is perfect, no PB, the UI is 2x as good as early V11, and honestly, there's nothing left in v10 that I miss. Plus you get a bunch of new features that are actually pretty helpful. SOC prediction is like 300 times better than v10 ever was.

OK, the ONE thing I still miss is odometer 10ths, but were weird and actually use the odo for off road directions to spontaneous forest service camp sites.

Thanks to smogne & bo3bdar for the useful posts. I'll hang for a couple weeks and see if the nag bots get bored. If not, I'll def check out the reset option. Thanks again!

I am on early V11 (right after they put the seat heater buttons back): 2022.12.3.2. I don't want want them deactivating my radar or any other stupid *sugar* Elon and minions dream up this week. I just want it to work consistently without constantly discovering something else broken\disabled every time I'm forced to up(down)grade.

Last edited:
I got them to stop by subscribing to FSD.

Before that they were driving me crazy! Grrr! I wanted to try the beta so I refused to update. IIUC beta was on hold temporarily when I subscribed so the car didn't offer me updates until beta was ready again.

When I was postponing because I was trying to not overshoot FSD Beta, I discovered that I could simply IGNORE the update nags. I didn't have to manually dismiss the nags. As I vaguely recall, after I pressed the brake and either entered my pin to drive, or perhaps it was switched into drive, the update nag was gone until I parked the car. Once the nags were something I could just ignore, like a banner ad, I found them much more tolerable.

Have you tried the latest software?

Stop listening to the Internet forums about the quality of anything. Everything always is a disaster on the Internet.

Load the software and you'll stop getting the nags.

Stop listening to the Internet forums about the quality of anything. Everything always is a disaster on the Internet.

The simple thing would be to go to a Tesla showroom and test drive a new car. You'll be able to try the latest (or close to latest) version without having to take the plunge and install it. After all, there's no going back.

Reactions: unhyphy

Early V11 was indeed total shite. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of comments and feedback helped to steer the subsequent updates back to being more acceptable.

"Do the update"

I'm quite happy where I am thanks.

You want to keep spinning the cylinder and pulling the trigger, be my guest. I'm done with that.

Thanks for the help folks!
You don't think there's a happy medium? Reading the additions, changes, then deciding? You are literally staying on the worst version of v11 UI, intentionally. You don't have single-button access to seat heaters, heated steering wheel, defrost, left scroll wheel customization, trip cards, improvements to auto heating/air, new energy graph, etc. but more importantly you are avoiding all of the updates that fix issues with the battery, BMS, steering, airbags, seatbelts, windows...There's a reason why Tesla said the warranty can be void if you don't regularly update the car. They are constantly fixing issues beyond the UI with the car as they see new data.

Edit: If your car is already out of warranty and you don't care much about battery degradation, that's fine. If that doesn't apply to you, do SOME updates.