Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody leave their X parked outdoors? How does it hold up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my concern. I live in Upland outside of L.A. and it's hotter than hell during summer. Is that trim an expensive part to repair?

My garage isn't full of junk to move out. I have a Porsche 911GTS and an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio. Something has to go outside.

Well, again based on your personal preference of looks, chrome deleting the trim, or coating it will help alot, especially if you go plastidip since its more weather proof (its literally plastic/rubberish coating) but they also have clear options if you like the chrome.

But due to not only the trim but the amount of glass and alluminum in the vehicle high heats prompt "warping/movement" in many spots of the vehicle one of the worst being the FWD.
I've heards lots experiancing issues in the FWD after extensive times in heat. (Mostly from Nevada and Texas)

Dunno how much this helps

In my area most Model Xs live outside. It's not an issue because the weather is mild and the car is not a novelty.
Personally I prefer it to be outside due to the car's size and the FWDs.
I have yet to open my FWD inside my garage, but feel fairly confident it would be ok. That being said, I do all backdoor stuff in driveway, and generally use summon for in/out of garage.

I have yet to open my FWD inside my garage, but feel fairly confident it would be ok. That being said, I do all backdoor stuff in driveway, and generally use summon for in/out of garage.
Not my garage, but wanted to share that backing-in can enable door opening in certain cases. My car lives in a less friendly garage, but at least not outside.
IMG_2726.jpg

That's my concern. I live in Upland outside of L.A. and it's hotter than hell during summer. Is that trim an expensive part to repair?

My garage isn't full of junk to move out. I have a Porsche 911GTS and an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio. Something has to go outside.

Do you drive the 911 and Alfa a lot? If not, would a lift work in your garage?

My neighbor has a 911 Turbo and a Ferrari GT. He has a lift in one of his garage spots. One car goes on the lift and the other parks under it. His wife made him get it because she was tired of her Minivan being outside when it rains and getting beat up by the California sun.

I have had the X for 6 months and it has always been outside. This includes 5 days in the summer in Vegas and 7 days in So Cal during a record heat wave. The X does have Xpel Ultimate on all the white painted areas. We have not had any outside related issues.

Having said that I'm still going to put a tint on the front windows and ceramic coating for more help with the elements.

Murphy's Law says it will hail exactly one day before you plan to clear out your garage:

hail-damage.jpg

Those are speed indents, like a golf ball it makes it more aerodynamic.

My garage is full, so my wife's Prius gets parked outside and after 4 years it shows it. I detail my cars of course, but since the front windshield isn't "paint" that can be waxed and polished I was wondering how they wear outdoors? I'm in So Cal where the sun is the destroyer. With a $24k Prius no biggie. With a $100k car it's more concerning.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, one of my X's sits outside and has since 2016 with no issues. But for awareness, windshields - and glass in general wears down, they can pit and collect particles. Similiar to how paint does but they can be treated just like paint. If you're detailing you can clay bar it, you can polish it, you can even seal it.

The reason it's generally not recommended is because most people don't actually go through the full detail process and simply wash & overapply wax to it. In that case it would build up causing your wipers to chatter; and potentially impair your visibility; especially if too much product is used.