Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody try Sailun E-range tires for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the rear tires on a Friday and noticed no noise, but they didn't have the front tires in stock until the following Tuesday,. I noticed a slight noise even as I drove home from the tire store after getting the new front tires. The noise is present but not horrible at slower speeds in town. However, I didn't get on the freeway until a month later, last Thursday evening, and wow, not good. Now I wish I never bought them. There is still no noticeable wear because they are so new. I get the alignment checked every 7500 miles and that was only about 4000 miles ago. The old Continentals were quiet from the time i got the car new until I finally replaced them. They still had 3/32 tread remaining. I replaced all 4 tires because I got a sharp stone puncture in a rear tire, and I wanted fairly even tread depth all around.

Did the noise start from day one or after a few thousand miles?

Take note that you are the only person with a Model X that has stated this so far.

Foam sound insulation on tires does not make as big of a difference as you think and definitely isn't the cause of your issue. We know the E-Range is a quiet tire based on a bunch of impressions on various models. I've got them, many Model 3 owners have them, and "Excessive noise in the front" is not something that has ever been mentioned.

Typically cupping on the inner or outer tread bars would cause noise like that, from a car in need of alignment. Or a wheel bearing starting to fail.
I thought I replied to this but since I don't see it posted, I'll try again.

I bought the rear tires almost a week before front tires because the installer didn't have the front tires in stock. The rear tires rode silent. When I got the new front tires a week later, I noticed some road noise even as I rode home from the tire shop, but the noise was not really bad. However. the noise was totally absent with my old continental tires. The noise is centered on one frequency, so it's noticeable even in city driving but it isn't horrible at the slower speeds.

A month later, last Thursday, I finally had a road trip on the freeway. The low volume frequency that I hear at slower speeds was amplified many times over. It is extremely unpleasant.

The alignment was way off when I received the car new. I could feel the car pulling slightly to one side, so I got it aligned right away. That fixed the problem and the tire wear has been even. Now I normally get the alignment checked every 7500 miles at my tire store. That was 4000 miles ago. The new tires still have only about 1000 miles on them, so the tread wear still looks even. I have a 400 miles road trip next week and I am dreading it. If this was a wheel bearing, it seems like the noise would come from only one side of the car, but the noise comes from both front tires, started only after replacing the front tires, and started immediately upon replacing them.

I thought I replied to this but since I don't see it posted, I'll try again.

I bought the rear tires almost a week before front tires because the installer didn't have the front tires in stock. The rear tires rode silent. When I got the new front tires a week later, I noticed some road noise even as I rode home from the tire shop, but the noise was not really bad. However. the noise was totally absent with my old continental tires. The noise is centered on one frequency, so it's noticeable even in city driving but it isn't horrible at the slower speeds.

A month later, last Thursday, I finally had a road trip on the freeway. The low volume frequency that I hear at slower speeds was amplified many times over. It is extremely unpleasant.

The alignment was way off when I received the car new. I could feel the car pulling slightly to one side, so I got it aligned right away. That fixed the problem and the tire wear has been even. Now I normally get the alignment checked every 7500 miles at my tire store. That was 4000 miles ago. The new tires still have only about 1000 miles on them, so the tread wear still looks even. I have a 400 miles road trip next week and I am dreading it. If this was a wheel bearing, it seems like the noise would come from only one side of the car, but the noise comes from both front tires, started only after replacing the front tires, and started immediately upon replacing them.
There are now 3 replies from you, haha. :)

If you rub your hand around the inside tread on the front tires, is it smooth all the way around? Or does it feel choppy? The outside tread might look new, but even on my Model Y, the inside takes a beating from camber/toe wear. Just curious.

There are now 3 replies from you, haha. :)

If you rub your hand around the inside tread on the front tires, is it smooth all the way around? Or does it feel choppy? The outside tread might look new, but even on my Model Y, the inside takes a beating from camber/toe wear. Just curious.
Yes! When I rub with the direction of tire rotation, no choppiness, but when I rub against the direction of tire rotation there is a very slight but tangible choppiness on the inner tread.
My apologies for my multiple replies.

Yes! When I rub with the direction of tire rotation, no choppiness, but when I rub against the direction of tire rotation there is a very slight but tangible choppiness on the inner tread.
My apologies for my multiple replies.
That's how my tires became noisy as well (Michelins). I'm willing to bet that's the source of the noise. Unless you get a custom alignment to get the camber closer to zero (as well as the front toe), your fronts will probably start to wear like this.

It's possible that the factory tires cupped in this same way but didn't produce a noise as pronounced as the Sailuns.

Thanks for your advice. I just returned from getting the alignment, and they found that it was way off. Afterward, it drove quietly at all speeds on side roads and on the freeway. Sadly, they increased their alignment price from $90 to $200, explaining that they have found Tesla alignments to take more labor to remove and replace the skid plates than other cars. Luckily I got the alignment after only 700 miles on my new tires.

Attachments

• tire alignment.jpg
    tire alignment.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Msicario
That's great news. (Other than the price increase!) The additional toe on the front tires could have definitely contributed to the slight cupping on the fronts.

A tire rotation might mitigate the "damage done" in the last 700 miles by moving them to the rear. Unfortunately the noise might remain for a while, usually once tires are cupped there's not much that can be done to change it. Hopefully it evens out now with the fresh alignment.

One thing to note: Knowing that your car is dialed in now, I wouldn't touch or "check" the alignment unless something goes wrong. (A check will almost always recommend an alignment, even if your tires are wearing fine) Your car should stay in alignment for many years as long as there are no incidents with bent wheels/curbs/etc. I've found that every technician does alignments differently, and your next alignment might have a guy that likes to go towards the "more toe" side of things, rather than neutral.

Thanks for your advice. I just returned from getting the alignment, and they found that it was way off. Afterward, it drove quietly at all speeds on side roads and on the freeway. Sadly, they increased their alignment price from $90 to $200, explaining that they have found Tesla alignments to take more labor to remove and replace the skid plates than other cars. Luckily I got the alignment after only 700 miles on my new tires.
I take it you don’t have the MYP ?