Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody try Sailun E-range tires for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having these installed on May 1st as well. These will be my summer only tires as the winters on on their own rims. I will see if the efficiency is any better and report back after a couple of weeks (data collected via Teslamate)
The Sailun's are installed and I have been driving with them for a few days in a real mixed bag of weather. Lots of rain and fairly cold. Due to the fluctuating weather I don't have enough data to compare efficiencies yet but the rain handling and stoppage has been great. Tested out a low speed panic stop in heavy rain and they seemed fine.
I am really impressed by how quiet these tires are. Of course I am coming off of winter tires so that makes a huge noise difference but I have never heard the X so quiet over the years. I have been driving around with the sound system off just to enjoy the quiet of the car this week :)

Overall, I am very happy with these tires and even if I only get 35000km out of them (my average on tires so far) they are a great value.

I would like to shoutout my installer here (mobile company in Ottawa that does a lot of Tesla's and I have used him before). They sourced the tires and then came to my driveway to mount and change them. $1500 all in including taxes & disposal of old tires. Highly recommend Santiago at : Cabra Mobile

Update: Over 4000km now, many heavy rain storms and no issues. The tires are less noisy and better range than OEMs. Still Averaging about 5% improved range. Now lets see how the tread life does.
Tommy, I found this post because I'm really looking at putting them on my 2016 Model X. My X has the 20" X 10" rims on the rear. (You have a 2017, right? I think the 2017 also has 10" rears. I think they changed to 9.5" in 2019.) The thing that concerns me is that according to EV Range's spec, the max rim width for the tires is 9.5". I can't figure out why. Pretty much EVERY other tire that is a 9" width goes down to a 8" rim and up to a 10" or 10.5" rim. The Erange limit is 8.5 - 9.5.

So, can you confirm if your X has the 10" rims on rear, and if so did the installers have any issues? I reached out to Sailun / Erange and haven't heard back.

Tommy, I found this post because I'm really looking at putting them on my 2016 Model X. My X has the 20" X 10" rims on the rear. (You have a 2017, right? I think the 2017 also has 10" rears. I think they changed to 9.5" in 2019.) The thing that concerns me is that according to EV Range's spec, the max rim width for the tires is 9.5". I can't figure out why. Pretty much EVERY other tire that is a 9" width goes down to a 8" rim and up to a 10" or 10.5" rim. The Erange limit is 8.5 - 9.5.

So, can you confirm if your X has the 10" rims on rear, and if so did the installers have any issues? I reached out to Sailun / Erange and haven't heard back.
I actually got a call back from Sailun and the guy said it was a misprint. The tire is good from a 8.5-10.5" rim.

almost every heavy vehicle with xl low profile tires i have seen (and i have looked at thousands as cars are my business) with no brand tires had blisters on sidewalls of tires or a bent rim with corresponding blister on the sidewall- mostly on the inside. to me that is a clear indication that the sidewalls of those tires are not stiff enough.

the cheapest xl tires i would consider are by sumitomo, hankook and the other "second tier" manufacturers (although i really like hankook for autox, but then again rarely we drive xl tires/ vehicles on those events so their xl tires might be just as bad)

so... pro tip - when you are driving a 3 ton vehicle i would generally stick to name brands and qualify tires.

Two of my pirellis on the M3P have huge bulges in the sidewall. I know exactly when that happened and it wasn't a big pothole. The tires have 5K miles on them.
I NEVER buy first tier brands for that reason, and will be replacing them with Falken, or Hankook.
I have never seen this on any of my former performance cars.

Michelin and Pirelli are among the best tires money can buy, sidewall bubbles happen to every company. Every impact is different, I suspect it's just a coincidence. My friend's M3P has a bubble (and a slight bend on the face of his wheel) and he has the Michelins. They are super thin tires, you can't really blame the construction of the sidewall when there is no sidewall :-D

I don't know the US, but in Europe, Chinese brands are taking over the day-to-day cars.
But Teslas are heavy cars and very powerful, so why cheap on your life?

All the tests in Europe show horrific numbers(meters) for Chinese tires.

Reactions: henderrj
Hi All - reporting back after 3+ months with the E-range. Bottom line they are great - tons of heavy rainstorms with no issues and i'm still enjoying over 5% range improvement over the ConTis. Close to 7000 kms so far. I highly recommend if you're looking for a solid alternative to the OEMs at half the price.

Reactions: Edtreo and Tz00
I installed these on my model 3 yesterday. So far they are quieter than the Michelins with the foam, even when they were new. I can update as I drive a lot on various roads and surfaces but they are quite, smooth. Too early for any real range testing. I am hoping they stay quiet as they wear because the Michelins get very noisy when the tread gets down to about 5/32

I installed these on my model 3 yesterday. So far they are quieter than the Michelins with the foam, even when they were new. I can update as I drive a lot on various roads and surfaces but they are quite, smooth. Too early for any real range testing. I am hoping they stay quiet as they wear because the Michelins get very noisy when the tread gets down to about 5/32
Just had 4 installed on my M3 for $1200cdn. They are quieter than the stock Michelins and seems to be smoother on rough roads. My Michelins were still legal after 50k kms, so I put them into our storage locker. We're due for our 6k km (return) run down to our winter home, and I wanted new tires before then.

The new Sailun Erange tires are available locally for my model X and about half the price of the OEM tires. Specs seem decent and range may actually improve. Anybody try these yet?
I’m about to order a set of two 21’ Sailun ERANGE EV Ecco Sphere; To replaced my rear original worn out Pirellies P Zero 275/35/21 tires that only lasted 27K miles😬…These at half the price. 👍🏻

Michelin and Pirelli are among the best tires money can buy, sidewall bubbles happen to every company. Every impact is different, I suspect it's just a coincidence. My friend's M3P has a bubble (and a slight bend on the face of his wheel) and he has the Michelins. They are super thin tires, you can't really blame the construction of the sidewall when there is no sidewall :-D
I have had several sets of michelins on my model 3. Nothing great about them at all. Dangerous in light snow, noisy when they get down to 6/32 and lower. So far the Sailun are much nicer tire, quieter so far, better grip, and better range. Oh and cost less too

Reactions: Msicario
I have had several sets of michelins on my model 3. Nothing great about them at all. Dangerous in light snow, noisy when they get down to 6/32 and lower. So far the Sailun are much nicer tire, quieter so far, better grip, and better range. Oh and cost less too
I was mainly referring to the brand as a whole - Michelin produces a much better tire (any tire) than Sailun, though comparing individual models there will be better and worse performing tires in tests.

Remember, we don't have actual test data to confirm that the Sailuns are actually gripping better in dry/wet/snow. I doubt they're class-leading - 99% of the time Taiwanese/Chinese tires are at the absolute bottom of the tests when compared with name brands in emergency braking, slalom, 0-60 (winter), etc.

That said I still run them in the Summer and they are indeed a very efficient, quiet tire for the money.

Do NOT buy the Sailun 265/45R20 erange EV tires for the front of your Tesla Model X. Mine is a 2022 model X. The tires are fine for city driving but on the highway it sounds like a jet engine under each front wheel well. These tires do NOT have any sound insulation in them, so they are extremely loud on the freeway at any speeds over 60 mph. I cannot believe that Sailun rates these as quiet. Oddly, the rear tires are quiet but the front are deafening. I previously had the stock Continental tires that came with the vehicle new. Sure wish I had replaced my worn out tires with the stock Continentals.

Do NOT buy the Sailun 265/45R20 erange EV tires for the front of your Tesla Model X. Mine is a 2022 model X. The tires are fine for city driving but on the highway it sounds like a jet engine under each front wheel well. These tires do NOT have any sound insulation in them, so they are extremely loud on the freeway at any speeds over 60 mph. I cannot believe that Sailun rates these as quiet. Oddly, the rear tires are quiet but the front are deafening. I previously had the stock Continental tires that came with the vehicle new. Sure wish I had replaced my worn out tires with the stock Continentals.
Did the noise start from day one or after a few thousand miles?

Take note that you are the only person with a Model X that has stated this so far.

Foam sound insulation on tires does not make as big of a difference as you think and definitely isn't the cause of your issue. We know the E-Range is a quiet tire based on a bunch of impressions on various models. I've got them, many Model 3 owners have them, and "Excessive noise in the front" is not something that has ever been mentioned.

Typically cupping on the inner or outer tread bars would cause noise like that, from a car in need of alignment. Or a wheel bearing starting to fail.

Take note that you are the only person with a Model X that has stated this so far.

Foam sound insulation on tires does not make as big of a difference as you think and definitely isn't the cause of your issue. We know the E-Range is a quiet tire based on a bunch of impressions on various models. I've got them, many Model 3 owners have them, and "Excessive noise in the front" is not something that has ever been mentioned.

Typically cupping on the inner or outer tread bars would cause noise like that, from a car in need of alignment. Or a wheel bearing starting to fail.
Agree 👍🏻