Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone care to share their Trade-in Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the Trade-in (old vehicles) for Tesla work? Can anyone share their trade-in (non Tesla models) experience? Do they take the old vehicle on the spot and give you the trade in amount in credits to apply to delivery or cut a check to you separately?

I can help here...
I traded in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata.

You will get an offer from Tesla to accept. The offer is good for 30 days. After 30 days or so, you will get an updated 30 day offer to accept.

At delivery you just bring your title and your done. In my case from July 2021 (order) to to November 2021(delivery) my offer went up $2,000.

Reactions: origingalatic
Upvote 0
I finally got my Trade-In offer yesterday. It was lower than expected but given the sales tax break we get in IL it was acceptable over higher online offers, plus we only have one vehicle so we would have had to sell the car a few days prior to delivery to ensure any check issued actually clears and can be spent. I’ve had some checks placed ON HOLD for 10 business days. So that meant we’d need to rent a car to bridge the gap.

While the ONLINE quotes all looked fabulous and easy money, in the end we accepted Tesla’s offer. Oh and after talking to the rep in Las Vegas that was helping me (the app wasn’t accepting my photos) I asked if adding the Performance Boost, GPS HomeLink and PW speaker (about $2400 in Tesla accessories) increased my value he said NOPE.

Oh and the numbers you get from the Tesla Trade-In link are VERY OPTIMISTIC, by about $4K.

Upvote 0
I can help here...
I traded in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata.

You will get an offer from Tesla to accept. The offer is good for 30 days. After 30 days or so, you will get an updated 30 day offer to accept.

At delivery you just bring your title and your done. In my case from July 2021 (order) to to November 2021(delivery) my offer went up $2,000.
Thanks! How much do they actually look over the vehicle and do they haggle over the original quote?

Upvote 0
I finally got my Trade-In offer yesterday. It was lower than expected but given the sales tax break we get in IL it was acceptable over higher online offers, plus we only have one vehicle so we would have had to sell the car a few days prior to delivery to ensure any check issued actually clears and can be spent. I’ve had some checks placed ON HOLD for 10 business days. So that meant we’d need to rent a car to bridge the gap.

While the ONLINE quotes all looked fabulous and easy money, in the end we accepted Tesla’s offer. Oh and after talking to the rep in Las Vegas that was helping me (the app wasn’t accepting my photos) I asked if adding the Performance Boost, GPS HomeLink and PW speaker (about $2400 in Tesla accessories) increased my value he said NOPE.

Oh and the numbers you get from the Tesla Trade-In link are VERY OPTIMISTIC, by about $4K.

Are you saying at delivery day, they would negotiate on the trade in offer? Also, do they cut a check separately to you or is it deducted from the overall price of the Tesla order?

Upvote 0