Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else with random blasts of electronic interference through driver's door speaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a weird one for everyone. My "dash wiring harness" failed right before my warranty ran out which I am thankful for since it looked like a terrible job that would've been quite expensive out of warranty. After getting the car back, aside from noticing that my dash now rattles since the SC undoubtedly left some screws out when reassembling, I now get random bursts of electrical interference noise from my driver's door speaker. It can happen anytime but is more prevalent when slowing down using regen or sitting stopped. It is more rare while accelerating. I am certainly not an electronic whiz but have no doubt it is caused by the install of the dash wiring harness as it didn't do this before. I am assuming there is a bad connection somewhere or a bad ground or something. Does anyone have any ideas? Everything else in the car is fine.

Had exactly the same thing a few months ago and discovered this was addressed in an old thread. If you keep your cell phone in the deep center console under the main screen it can cause speaker interference via the MCU, which is located a few inches away. I moved my cell to the tray next to the USB outlets and problem solved! For the record, I had MCU1 at the time, but not sure that matters.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Had exactly the same thing a few months ago and discovered this was addressed in an old thread. If you keep your cell phone in the deep center console under the main screen it can cause speaker interference via the MCU, which is located a few inches away. I moved my cell to the tray next to the USB outlets and problem solved! For the record, I had MCU1 at the time, but not sure that matters.

You are my hero. It is odd that this just began after the harness replacement but perhaps that was coincidental. I will try out the revised placement.

I have it with my drivers tweeter. It comes and goes, I just ignore it for a few seconds and then forget about the issue; never got around to investigate the issue by searching the forum. And yes, my phone is exactly placed as described.

Thanks for the post!

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Had a door card replaced and now have an interference noise all the time
The poster in this thread was right. it was the interference caused by storing my phone in the cubby under the MCU. Apparently they moved the wiring enough such that the phone RF caused interference after that whereas it didn't before. Now, if I don't keep my phone under there, no interference. It is easily reproducible. So, if it is acting bad, I just pull the drawer out (I have one of those accessory drawers that goes in the cubby). That creates enough distance that the interference is eliminated.