Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever "camped" at the Mt Shasta Supercharger parking lot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Staying in a charger spot for longer than you need to, even if they are empty, really isn't great etiquette.

Since it looks as if the Mt Shasta Supercharger is located at a Best Western, maybe just pull to another space at the hotel. Otherwise I would have suggested a hotel or Walmart parking lot (they generally invite campers to stay overnight, and they monitor parking lots often)

Or, of course, get a room and have a nice shower!

Oh I would definitely not occupy a charging spot all night. I would park in an empty non-charging spot (there are hundreds of them at the Shasta mini-mall attached to the superchargers) and then in the morning plug in my car for a few min and take off.

Reactions: Evoforce
Done charging unplug and slide over a spot, but next to charger. Bring some eyeshades. Overhead lights tend to be awfully bright. Police tend to roll by every now and then in some locations. Never had any issues.

Don't gamble on the slots not being full. People show up at all hours, and you really can't assume that just because it is night you can stay plugged in.

Safe travels.

Reactions: Evoforce and KJD
I've tried getting some shut eye while supercharging out in the middle of nowhere, but it hardly goes well.

The hotel right next to the supercharger is actually pretty nice, and I've stayed there a couple times.

Plus the scenery is nice so it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

I just did this about two months ago. Tips:

1. Charge up, unplug, and then move, Park, sleep, charge again if needed.
2. Use climate on feature as appropriate
3. Bring a sleeping mask and ear plugs
4. Lock your doors with the app and then turn off Bluetooth on your phone to prevent people on the outside to open your door.
5. Remove your back seat and leave it at home before leaving to get the fold down seats fully flat. It’s really easy. See video
6. Sleep well and enjoy. I used a camping Thermarest sleeping pad and slept pretty well.
7. I’m 6’3” so I put some things on the floor between the center console and back seat to bring it up to the same level to allow my sleeping pad to rest on the center console giving myself another couple feet or so of leg room.

I just did this about two months ago. Tips:

1. Charge up, unplug, and then move, Park, sleep, charge again if needed.
2. Use climate on feature as appropriate
3. Bring a sleeping mask and ear plugs
4. Lock your doors with the app and then turn off Bluetooth on your phone to prevent people on the outside to open your door.
5. Remove your back seat and leave it at home before leaving to get the fold down seats fully flat. It’s really easy. See video
6. Sleep well and enjoy. I used a camping Thermarest sleeping pad and slept pretty well.
7. I’m 6’3” so I put some things on the floor between the center console and back seat to bring it up to the same level to allow my sleeping pad to rest on the center console giving myself another couple feet or so of leg room.

This very helpful, thank you very much!

Im amazed at the numbers of people who drive a Tesla but wont spring for a hotel.

I saw some mention of a 15 hour drive. That’s a walk in the park with autopilot.

Some people can afford a Tesla because they are smart with their money. And in my situation, getting a hotel for a 4 hr nap doesn’t make financial sense especially when the trip itself is going to be pretty expensive. It’s all subjective.

15 hrs of roadtripping isn’t bad, I’ve done it plenty of times. But this time I am leaving directly from working 6am - 3pm, so working 9 hrs then driving 15 hrs back to back isn’t my cup of tea. That’s 24 hrs of working and driving back to back. Again, subjective.

Im amazed at the numbers of people who drive a Tesla but wont spring for a hotel.

I saw some mention of a 15 hour drive. That’s a walk in the park with autopilot.

With all respect. Little judgy? Tesla owners come from many different backgrounds do many different things. Spring for a hotel?

Personally. Spending 15 hours driving is a piece of cake for me. Pulling into a hotel a 2:45am to get up at 5:45am seems kind of worthless.
I love a road trip, but yet I like to do things other than drive from 8 am to 8 pm and tuck my self in at a Holiday Inn Express to wake to a buffet breakfast. Then again I like to climb mountains and backpack, and try to get to those places as fast as I can.

Edit: wow @lupend88 are you reading my mind?o_O

Mt. Shasta area is quite safe and peaceful. You can find friendly campers in and in front of Rays Food Place and share meals with them, do get a generous portion of fried chicken and ice cream from the supermarket if it's still open. Police department and fire department are all nearby, their response time is no more than 3 minutes. YMMV.

BTW, I've never camped in a Tesla, but my other cars.

I have only heard of one, in Arizona if I recall correctly. Person took the car and wrecked it within a couple of blocks. On drugs or something. And that was a few years ago.

I have slept in the Supercharger parking lot several times. Of course, it used to be easier before they charged for idle time--not to worry, no other Teslas in an eight stall SC.

Still what I do is charge and then move to a non charging spot in the parking spot. Have done that many many many times. But I have slept while charging many many times but set an alarm based on estimated charging time so not to be EVHOLE. Did a 36 hour trip once by only sleeping while charging.

Reactions: jerry33 and GeoX750
I suppose if you felt seriously in danger you could unlock hose from inside and try to drive off with hose attached, but I doubt the car would let you do this. (Yes, I am one of those idiots that went inside the store to buy crap while ICE car was gassing up and took off with hose attached. Realized it in about ten feet and was pretty embarrassed, though the attendant said it happens at least once a month!)

It happens all the time. It seems like a switch on the fueling door with either a buzzer or shift immobilizer (similar to pressing the brake) would make sense.

Staying in a charger spot for longer than you need to, even if they are empty, really isn't great etiquette.

Since it looks as if the Mt Shasta Supercharger is located at a Best Western, maybe just pull to another space at the hotel. Otherwise I would have suggested a hotel or Walmart parking lot (they generally invite campers to stay overnight, and they monitor parking lots often)

Or, of course, get a room and have a nice shower!

I think he meant in the lot, not in the actual space but I agree Walmart is the best option since in many locations they go out of their way to accommodate and have bathrooms and are open 24 hours.

Some people can afford a Tesla because they are smart with their money. And in my situation, getting a hotel for a 4 hr nap doesn’t make financial sense especially when the trip itself is going to be pretty expensive. It’s all subjective.

15 hrs of roadtripping isn’t bad, I’ve done it plenty of times. But this time I am leaving directly from working 6am - 3pm, so working 9 hrs then driving 15 hrs back to back isn’t my cup of tea. That’s 24 hrs of working and driving back to back. Again, subjective.

Good places I’ve heard people stop to take a nap are parking lots of hospitals with an ER. Busy and safe. Plus if you are seen everyone will think you’re just there waiting on someone.

I drive a ton so admittedly my tolerance is high. The best way to road trip for me is to leave after rush hour and drive through the night.

Teslas won't move with charge cable plugged in. Charge up, move the car from charge bay, sleep, recharge in morning and leave.
Sound advice.

I’ve used the Mt Shasta Supercharger many times. I would have no worries about sleeping in my Tesla in that parking lot. The doors will lock, and you can keep the climate control on if you wish. When you wake up, plug in to a Supercharger for a quick top up and be on your way.

But...two people sleeping in the back of a 3 with rear seats folded flat? You two must be, uh, very “compact”! And very tolerant of firm sleeping surfaces. ;)

Moderator note: the OP asked about “safety concerns” while sleeping in his car at the Mt Shasta Supercharger. Please keep your responses focused on that question. If there are further posts about carrying lethal weapons and the laws regulating such weapons I will consider moving all posts about those topics to the Off Topic section, as they are not specific to this Supercharger or even to Tesla in general.

Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: TT97