Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone familiar with "Service required. Unable to charge." message?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had some serious rain in the SF bay area today and while I was driving on the highway in my Model 3 LR (a week old with about 150 miles) there was a little audio chime and a message on the screen that said "Service required. Unable to charge." (or something to that effect). The message stayed on for just 4-5 seconds and went away on its own.

It kept driving just fine. I didn't notice any difference with the behavior of the car. I drove another 25 miles after that with a couple of stops. Everything was normal. Came back home, plugged in, and it has been charging just fine at 48amps for the past 1.5 hours.

I called the local service center. They checked my logs while I was on the phone and found the error message. They consulted a couple of in-house techs and came back and said that it might not be something to worry about unless it happens again. Meanwhile, they said they ordered a charger so they will have it in inventory if it happens again and they need to replace it.

Has anyone seen such a situation? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes. Samething happened to me after 2 months from delivery. Called service immediately and they scheduled a mobile service to replace the charging unit. No problems since replacement. No rain involved during my incident.

It happened to me in the first month of ownership, but the alert and failure (could not charge) remained. Tesla replaced the charge port and charge controller. Warranty repair, rental car provided, my car was washed and interior vacuumed by Tesla prior to return=minor inconvenience to me. It's been flawless since.