TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone figure out how to play video files (mkv files) stored on ssd external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by coolmanfever, Dec 25, 2019.

1. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Hello!

I was able to partition my external hard drive to two partition. One for Tesla sentry mode and dash cam recording. The other for my mp3 collection. I was able to play my mp3 collection in the car. But I wonder if anyone figure out how to play video files stored on external hard drive? If not, is it something in the work for Tesla? I think it will be awesome to play my own video stored on the hard drive.

2. diezel_dave

diezel_dave Member

There is currently no capability to play videos like this on the car screen.

3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It is technologically possible but Tesla has not announced any hint for any plan for that option for its users.

• Like x 1
  4. Rmojo

Rmojo Member

Plex works for me.

• Like x 1
  5. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

What platform you want to playtime on?

The files themselves will play with lots of players but you really want to to use a tool that will help combine the views.

I use this app on Windows and it works fairly well.

NateMccomb/TeslaCamViewerII

Someone has written an Android (I think app) that can view them with the appropriate adapter on the phone.
    Not sure how good the app is.

6. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

He/she wants to play videos from a connected usb device to the model 3 screen. This currently isn't possible.