Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone found springs that maintain ride quality and reduce fender gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that info. I’m wondering about the spring rates?

Definitely sketchy that spring rates are not published on their website, and the response you received was more ride height data...

Personally I wouldn't touch lowering springs if they aren't publishing the spring rates. They're probably hardly any firmer than stock, which means you will either be riding on the bump stops constantly, or they want you to do trim the bump stops. If the spring rates were increased, so that you don't bottom out, then the stock shocks will probably wear out quite quickly.

You really cannot lower a car properly, without also changing or re-valving the dampers.

Definitely sketchy that spring rates are not published on their website, and the response you received was more ride height data...

Personally I wouldn't touch lowering springs if they aren't publishing the spring rates. They're probably hardly any firmer than stock, which means you will either be riding on the bump stops constantly, or they want you to do trim the bump stops. If the spring rates were increased, so that you don't bottom out, then the stock shocks will probably wear out quite quickly.

You really cannot lower a car properly, without also changing or re-valving the dampers.

This is exactly why I wanted to know the spring rates. Maybe the MPP coil-overs is the only option.

pretty much anywhere you look on this topic on the internet, tsportline gets great praise, moreso than the other springs out there.. i would love to get the coilovers but the cost to me isnt worth it. i just want a lowered look in my case, so i bought the tsportlines (after researching this for quite a while) and hopefully will have them installed next week.

Reactions: pkalhan

By this criteria you shouldn't get mountain pass performance equipment because they do not publish that kind of statistic. It's proprietary, and not too many people publish that kind of work product. The real question is not whether or not people give away proprietary information it's whether or not they've got a track record of integrity and excellence. Mountain Pass does.

Reactions: Burrito
By this criteria you shouldn't get mountain pass performance equipment because they do not publish that kind of statistic. It's proprietary, and not too many people publish that kind of work product. The real question is not whether or not people give away proprietary information it's whether or not they've got a track record of integrity and excellence. Mountain Pass does.

I'm sorry but spring rates should not be treated as proprietary information, that is insane. That's like saying the specs in a RAM upgrade kit for your computer shouldn't be published, "oh it makes your computer x% faster, that's enough info."

Even cheap junkie kits for any other car publishes spring rates and damper profiles. A car is a car, just because it is a Tesla, doesn't mean it has unobtanium springs, which need to be kept secret. A company that hid spring rates for the BMW community wouldn't last.

The difference is, MPP is selling a kit that works together, much different than selling a set of springs that have to work with the rest of the suspension. No way in hell I’d buy a set of springs without knowing the rates.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
The difference is, MPP is selling a kit that works together, much different than selling a set of springs that have to work with the rest of the suspension. No way in hell I’d buy a set of springs without knowing the rates.

The notion that you absolutely must know precise spring rates if you put in Springs but spring rates are irrelevant to know if you're putting in coilovers makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I'm sorry but spring rates should not be treated as proprietary information, that is insane. That's like saying the specs in a RAM upgrade kit for your computer shouldn't be published, "oh it makes your computer x% faster, that's enough info."

Even cheap junkie kits for any other car publishes spring rates and damper profiles. A car is a car, just because it is a Tesla, doesn't mean it has unobtanium springs, which need to be kept secret. A company that hid spring rates for the BMW community wouldn't last.

Your argument is with mountain pass and not with me. Take it up with them. Perhaps you know more than they do!

pretty much anywhere you look on this topic on the internet, tsportline gets great praise, moreso than the other springs out there.. i would love to get the coilovers but the cost to me isnt worth it. i just want a lowered look in my case, so i bought the tsportlines (after researching this for quite a while) and hopefully will have them installed next week.
Can you share your experience with the TSportLine? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on those too. I have a SR+ and these springs are just going to lower it .75". Is that enough?

I had springs (Unplugged) and it was ok, but still not comparable to stock ride if you hit big potholes, etc. What many people don’t realize is while you may change ride height and the spring may have dual rates to compensate, the shocks themselves were designed with dampers for the stock height and lowering thus changes the spec for dampening.

I switched to Unplugged Coilovers and have been super happy I did it. The ride is incredible now and the flexibility of changing the setup on the fly is also a big bonus. Drop it to soft super comfort when I’m going to drive with my girlfriend, etc, and when I am solo or going to the track I stiffen it up.

Of course the expense is an issue but I plan on having the car for years to come so sucked it up...

• Informative
Reactions: victorlukito
I had springs (Unplugged) and it was ok, but still not comparable to stock ride if you hit big potholes, etc. What many people don’t realize is while you may change ride height and the spring may have dual rates to compensate, the shocks themselves were designed with dampers for the stock height and lowering thus changes the spec for dampening.

I switched to Unplugged Coilovers and have been super happy I did it. The ride is incredible now and the flexibility of changing the setup on the fly is also a big bonus. Drop it to soft super comfort when I’m going to drive with my girlfriend, etc, and when I am solo or going to the track I stiffen it up.

Of course the expense is an issue but I plan on having the car for years to come so sucked it up...
How do you change the setup on the fly? Sorry, I'm a newbie on coilovers.

How do you change the setup on the fly? Sorry, I'm a newbie on coilovers.
The front Coilovers have adjustment knobs that turn between hard/soft inside the frunk. Pop up the frunk and easy to adjust. For the rears you need to lift the car, but don’t need to remove the wheel. Just get enough space to turn the adjustment at the top of the coilover. I use a scissor jack (from Porsche) while away from home or my floor jack at home for the rears. Still a very quick thing to do.

• Informative
Reactions: victorlukito
Get the MPP comfort coilovers. This is not something where you want to be saving money. The difference in price is modest but the quality is worth it. You have an adjustable system with a better ride and probably slightly better handling too

What if you're not taking it to the track? I want to lower my car mainly for aesthetics. Im not sure if 7x the money would be worth it, maybe you can enlighten me?

What if you're not taking it to the track? I want to lower my car mainly for aesthetics. Im not sure if 7x the money would be worth it, maybe you can enlighten me?

If you only care about looks and you don't care about Dynamics then Springs probably would be enough for you. I'd be very careful though because many of the aftermarket spring sets are noisy, and although they lower the car they don't translate into that much better handling typically unless you start changing and tuning shocks. That's the nice thing about a well sorted out coilover kit is that tuning has been done for you and you can trust that Mountain Pass knows what they're doing. In other words changing Springs without changing shocks in some cases can make a car's handling worse and certainly can make its ride worse. I think if you spend a lot of time in your car and you want the best combination of ride and handling the coilover kit from Mountain Pass either the Sport or the Comfort one is a great value.

Performance Springs in stock ready to ship. Great looks and daily drivability. Not overly low.

satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-1.jpg

satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-falcon-satin-gunmetal-wm-4.jpg
satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-inch-falcon-satin-gunmetal-wm-5.jpg

Attachments

• satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-4.jpg
    satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-4.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 42
  • satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-5.jpg
    satin-psychedelic-flip-tesla-model-3-performance-20-5.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 35
If you only care about looks and you don't care about Dynamics then Springs probably would be enough for you. I'd be very careful though because many of the aftermarket spring sets are noisy, and although they lower the car they don't translate into that much better handling typically unless you start changing and tuning shocks. That's the nice thing about a well sorted out coilover kit is that tuning has been done for you and you can trust that Mountain Pass knows what they're doing. In other words changing Springs without changing shocks in some cases can make a car's handling worse and certainly can make its ride worse. I think if you spend a lot of time in your car and you want the best combination of ride and handling the coilover kit from Mountain Pass either the Sport or the Comfort one is a great value.

@DB-Cooper thoughts on this statement?