Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have 30KW or more PV with PGE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a story from the early 2000s.....

Great story. I will have to read more to update myself. At todays prices for solar and batteries it would be interesting to see the economics of just getting a building permit and self consuming solar production. Forget about paying $60 per month to use the grid as a battery. NBCs already compensate the IOUs for some of that so I don't see why I should pay more so they can increase the CARE subsidy.

Last edited:
I did some math and a 30kW system would be 2,000 sq. ft and cost $60,000 or more. That reminded me of an old saying about yachts, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
🤣
Yep, looking to add more panels. I already have 15K worth, and the inverters ready, so it would be as cheap as ever. Hoping like 30K, but shall see. And now with the PW 2.1 question, I would not do anything until that is resolved, if 30amp breakers are not to spec

Here is a story from the early 2000s about the Adelman's and greater than 30 kW system: You gotta fight for your right to go solar

My first PV system was installed by the same company that did install.
Good read. I like this quote from the article "The going price for a 2 kilowatt system retrofitted onto an existing house is now only $14,000". That's from June 2004. Tesla's smallest PV system (sans the looming Powerwall requirement) is $8200 ... That's about $20K less than an equivalent system in 2004. Goes to show how much pricing and efficiencies have improved in nearly 20 years. Perhaps 20 years from now we'll see even greater improvements!

I did some math and a 30kW system would be 2,000 sq. ft and cost $60,000 or more. That reminded me of an old saying about yachts, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
🤣
It's not just about yachts but many things, in general.

Well over a decade ago, I was inside https://www.definitive.com/ which carries some really high end stuff (and some actually affordable) and remember seeing a single disc reference CD player (transport or whatever) and it was around $9K...

Reactions: Ampster
It's not just about yachts but many things, in general.

Well over a decade ago, I was inside https://www.definitive.com/ which carries some really high end stuff (and some actually affordable) and remember seeing a single disc reference CD player (transport or whatever) and it was around $9K...
Or how about the price of a 40 inch LCD TV a few years ago, let a lone a 100 inch one.

Reactions: cwerdna
Or how about the price of a 40 inch LCD TV a few years ago, let a lone a 100 inch one.
40 inch LCD? Wasn't bad... maybe you mean 40-inch OLED?

Heck, back in late 2008, 55 to 60ish inch LCD TVs for a decent brand were only a bit over $2K. At that time, I was looking at those instead of buying a 61" 3 LED-lit DLP RPTV, which was cheaper than the above. I ended up going w/the DLP set which I still have and it's my largest TV at home.

Reactions: 201reyes
Lol. One of my wealthier, business tech-minded friends back in 1980s had a very early Sony Betamax. At that price I figured I’d never have one to use just to record a TV show. The tapes were pretty pricey too. When he bought a new model he let me use his old one, loved it, but think even then tapes were like $15 for only a few hours.

He had one of the early big cell phones too. So did the CEO father of our receptionist. Sadly both died later of brain cancer so always wondered about that. I’m sure solar advancements will change a lot from now along with pricing and suspect more neighborhood oriented battery backup solutions will be common. In the meantime I’m very glad we ordered our system when we did and got to take advantage of some of the incentives. Sometimes the best time to jump in is now when you can get immediate enjoyment from it.

Reactions: h2ofun