Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a Performance model without PUP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen any yet.

It's what I've ordered, but it wasn't available for test drive. I have a feeling that amount of power with all-season tires is going to make for a sloppy ride.

But I really don't want 20" wheels, brakes so big you can't fit most 18's, and that lip on the hub so you can't fit most wheels.

I haven't seen any yet.

It's what I've ordered, but it wasn't available for test drive. I have a feeling that amount of power with all-season tires is going to make for a sloppy ride.

But I really don't want 20" wheels, brakes so big you can't fit most 18's, and that lip on the hub so you can't fit most wheels.

Yes I have one and it seems to handle the power OK. Haven’t tried to really push it round corners much, but the tires are reasonably grippy.

Yeah, I intent to swap on better tires. But rather than throw out the Primacy I figured I'd just intentionally burn them up while getting a few hundred the 0-60 runs out of my system on the new car. :D

Given that non-PUP cars are out in the wild, has anyone done a suspension or ride height comparison to the following?
AWD
P3D-
P3D+

I've done plenty of 0-60 runs on my S. The novelty wears off pretty quick TBH. Been there, done that, and I'm more excited about turning on my P3D- than launching it. The S loves launches but doesn't like turning much. The 3 loves turning so that what I'm really looking forward to.

According to Tesla, AWD and P3D- have the same ride height. P3D+ has a slightly lower ride height by 10 mm. Honestly I don't see how one whole centimeter makes that much difference. The P3D+ has a differently tuned suspension but I seem to recall people have looked under the cars now and found there are no fundamental differences besides that.

• Helpful
Reactions: tezzla
I've done plenty of 0-60 runs on my S. The novelty wears off pretty quick TBH. Been there, done that, and I'm more excited about turning on my P3D- than launching it. The S loves launches but doesn't like turning much. The 3 loves turning so that what I'm really looking forward to.

According to Tesla, AWD and P3D- have the same ride height. P3D+ has a slightly lower ride height by 10 mm. Honestly I don't see how one whole centimeter makes that much difference. The P3D+ has a differently tuned suspension but I seem to recall people have looked under the cars now and found there are no fundamental differences besides that.

To my knowledge nobody has confirmed any difference in suspension tuning on the P (either variety) vs AWD.

One person confirmed a P and a RWD had identical shocks and springs, but the sway bars were different (he didn't specify different in what way)- but it's unclear if the different bars go on ALL models with dual-motor or just the P.

Ehhhhh

Coming to a full stop, looking at a yellow, decide I want to change lanes and make it past the light in time will NEVER get old.

Yes, the car is capable. :D

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Msjulie
Had RWD, lucky enough to now have 'stealth' Performance - it's quicker for sure, for us larger rims == easier to curb wasn't a priority.

The Performance/AWD show their heavier front ends but it's not too big a deal because however well this car handles, no version of it is a nimble car in the sense of say a Miata.

No regrets here.

Took the P3D+ to my favorite mountain backroads. Geez, this thing corners! The 20s help with steering response and the Michelin Pilot 4Ss have TONS of grip. The brake pedal is nice and firm and the brakes are strong. Honestly, for only running 235 width tires, it feels exceptionally capable. Haven't smiled this much since my E90 days.

Maybe if I was ten years younger, I would have done the suspension/brake/wheel upgrades myself. But, IMO, it's a very well-rounded package, and at this stage in life, I was fine with paying $5,000 for Tesla to install it for me at the factory. :)

I've got the stealth (non-PUP) performance. The tires are much better than expected and I plan to wear them out and then change to Michelin PS AS3+ tires at that point since this is my all-season commuter. The handling is remarkably good and I'm coming from a Porsche Boxster S. You can feel the weight if you push really hard, but the software is so good, it's almost like driving in Playstation game. It just goes where you point it and slides the rear a little and then pulls you through on power. In the rain, it spins a lot (like easily breaks loose at 35 mph), but still manages to feel secure and fun. I've driven the AWD as well and the steering is much better in the performance. Either the ratio is quicker or it is just tuned better, I can't tell, but if I get a chance, I'll check the turns to turns between both (the P is under 2 turns lock to lock). I've driven a lot of expensive cars and there is nothing I would change about the non-PUP for my purposes except lose 1000 pounds. Also, I've still got the quickest 1/4 mile time I've seen for the performance, so the grip is adequate.

Chill Cars

Reactions: Hershy1 and Msjulie
Wow you think there's a steering change between the AWD and P-AWD? Interesting
Bumping my own question. :)

Has anyone else reported a difference in steering or suspension between the AWD and P-AWD??

Has anyone else driven both the P3D+ and P3D-? What differences did you observe?

I drove a rwd and P3D+ back to back and the driving experience was very different. I preferred the P3D+, but I don't know how much of that I'd lose if I skip the PUP and get 19" wheels.

Is it too much to ask for Elon to tell us what is in the option packages we're paying for?